Clarity about the recent Superhost criteria change

Airbnb
Official Account

Clarity about the recent Superhost criteria change

Standards@2x (2).png

We’ve noticed a lot of discussion lately about the updated Superhost criteria, so we wanted to explain why we made this update.

The Superhost program recognizes the best and most iconic hosts on Airbnb. Since it began, in order to be a Superhost you had to meet several criteria. You had to host at least 10 stays per year, you had to have zero cancellations (except for extenuating circumstances), you had to respond to 90% of the messages you received within 24 hours, and 80% of your ratings had to be 5 stars.

The first 3 criteria are staying the same, but beginning in July, instead of needing 80% 5-star reviews, Superhosts will now need an average review score of 4.8.

There are several reasons why we decided to make this change. First and foremost, because it’s simpler and easier to understand. One of the top pieces of feedback we received about the old program criteria was that guests couldn’t intuitively understand what it took to be a  Superhost. By making the change from 80% 5-star reviews to an overall rating of 4.8, guests can more easily understand what it means to be a Superhost. Additionally, switching to an overall rating of 4.8 stars also brings consistency across our new programs like Collections and Plus, which require a 4.8 overall rating as well as several other criteria.

In looking at recent data, we estimate that between 90% to 95% of our Superhosts are going to have no problem qualifying for the Superhost program under the new criteria. Ultimately, it’s our goal to have as many Superhosts as possible and have all hosts provide amazing guest experiences worthy of stellar reviews. Our plan is to continue to closely monitor how these standards impact the Superhost program and evolve them based on what’s working and what isn’t. We truly appreciate the feedback you’ve provided so far and we look forward to working with you to bring further clarity and consistency to the program.

551 Replies 551
Karen-and-Chase0
Level 4
Agoura Hills, CA

You've already done damage to many hosts by including the plus homes and letting us then know when trying to achieve THIS status, that it's only offered in certain areas.

You let HOSTS know this but not guests.

So now my guests ask why I'm not a plus home. My bookings, although 5 star, have dropped considerably.

Changing criteria is fine but making it this high, when many guests may really believe a 4 star rating is good! will create problems for all of us.

I believe I have hosted over 360 guests.

In my home. Which is another story.( I believe it is probably easier to get a 5 star rating if you have a completely private area for your guests .)

All but about 5 of the 360 have been 5 star ratings, the others were 3, but looking at the math consequences others have posted, I'm not sure I'd qualify as a superhost anymore. And the acceptance rate!! I responded to an inquiry and you penalized me by saying I should have preapproved the guest by sending me a 'letter' telling me I could be doing better!! 

1 guest (again, an inquiry not a booking) and you drop my rating and tell me I might lose my superhost status because my acceptance rate is ' down.'

I mean, is anyone in corporate really looking at these things to see how crazy it's getting?? I don't know what has been going on with you guys....in many ways it looks like the vision of what made airbnb so great is gone.

I feel unappreciated, unsupported and hosting doesn't sound like fun any more. This change to an unrealistic standard is disheartening to all hard working hosts. 

Meeshell0
Level 3
Las Cruces, NM

Well said all of you! This new rating system is ridiculous! I have had nothing but happy guest then along came one hypochondriac and backed out of a long-term commitment of a month long stay because of something “unidentifiable” that was causing his allergies to act up.  I jumped through my own skin to try to please this man but to no avail I received a 1 star review... stomping out my superhost status.  I even refunded him some of the booking fees out of guilt, which I did not have to do.  I am very frustrated that this site is way more focused on the traveler and leaving us to beg and understand all of these changes Airbnb is implementing on a daily basis now.  

Branka-and-Silvia0
Level 10
Zagreb, Croatia

Airbnb seems to have grown too big, has to many hosts and wants to shrink down. How else to explain all those recent changes with cancellations policies, plus, collections, ratings, reviews etc...? It seems to me that Airbnb made this all up with only one purpose:  to blame the host for deleting his listing.

Corinne251
Level 3
Devonshire, Bermuda

Just another nail in the coffin for me taking my listing out at the expiration of my annual fees.  The review system simply does not work.  It does not consider those people that don’t actually read the listing or that are impossible to please.  The suggested pricing is spitting out utter nonsense.  Now this superhost nonsense.  Superhost.  Who cares.  Hate the family friendly and work friendly “opportunities”.  I don’t want either.  Tired of looking at the”you are nearly there”.  Never want to be there.  All in all.  I am no longer seeing value in the platform.  I am running a business to maximize return.  I partner with those that work with me.  

The problem we face is that guests do not read and Airbnb does not listen, and until we can overcome those two key issues nothing much will change...exciting changes coming, indeed  ...haha 

Unfortunately, it is in reality, difficult to get heard or get answersUnfortunately, it is in reality, difficult to get heard or get answers

Ann10
Level 10
New York, NY

Tell us why you are hiding the math, Airbnb. Why not show us the math? You have a no extortion policy, yet you are giving more power to the extortionist and the revenge reviewer. Right now, I have 100% 5 star reviews. However, a single 3 star review could put me on the edge of losing my SH status. You are not honest Airbnb. First you said this new "program" would help more people become SHs. Now you are saying 90-95% of people will retain their SH status. Do you think we are stupid?  Many people will lose their SH status. You claim you have started new programs to help us. None of them help me. If I'm forced to let people cancel within 2 weeks of booking, and only have 12 days to rebook. This is not helpful. I was fully booked all the time before. I don't need help from you. 

This new draconian rating system will not help me. You are giving power to the worst kind of people. The only people who have given me less than a 5 for OVERALL EXPERIENCE are criminals, libelists, and one lady who was a sandwich short of a picnic who also committed defamation of character against me. Would Airbnb help the honest loyal SH after imploring me not to give the extortionist money. No way. I had to take legal action to get the review removed. Would Airbnb help me when I had proof that the guests were committing libel against me which is against section 10.2 of the TOS? No way! However, when the libelists found out there would be legal consquences to their actions the reviews came down licky split. What's with that Airbnb? Pls explain. You won't help the honest loyal super host, but you help creepy liars, and criminals. BTW, what is the deal w letting criminals stay on the site?

Chris224
Level 3
Candler, NC

It's none of the guests business how many hoops we have to jump thru... with over 800 reviews and being on the superhost list over 2 years I am not looking forward to losing my placement status on the search page. All the guest needs is honest reviews and accurate descriptions to choose. Without exception, negative reviews reflect guest who won't take the time to read descriptions and then are dissapointed thru no fault of the host. The new averages do not account for the 'real' number of these types of guests, but the host will be penalized anyway... You people in the head office need to respect your elders and listen to us more experienced oldtimers. How is a campsite supposed to furnish linens for beds that don't exist? Is one more example of poorly thought out changes you impose on hosts... For the record, your service works for the hosts.. the host does not work for you.. I would think you be aware of this. Without conscience hosts, this whole scheme would fall apart... kinda like a restaurant operating with lousy cooks.

Ann10
Level 10
New York, NY

Rebecca

Rebecca-They don't care what we say. If they don't need us anymore they should say so and we can be on our way. If there business model has changed they should be honest about it. Telling us that forcing the 48 hour cancellation policy w only 12 days to find someone else at a lessor rate, is helping us is absurd. They pushed back the date of inception of that program obsensably to hear us. However, after we said what we had to say, they did what they wanted anyway. We wasted a month thinking we were being heard. Yesterday, I saw a post about pricing obtions. Airbnb said, we heard you and we are giving you more flexiblity w pricing options.
HA! They hear what they want to hear. My response was if someone can cancel 12 days out, what good are more pricing options? They tried to tell us this new program would "help" more people become SHs. Anyone can figure out that 4=80%. 4.8 is a lot more than 80%. In fact, when I was at 91%, I was at 4.8%. I have the math worked out, but I don't have it in front of me. They must really think we are stupid, because it's obvious without doing the math that this program is not helpful. 

This will just demoralise, frustrate and demotivate hosts.  I have all 5 star reviews but I only get about 4 bookings AT MOST per month as being in the Caribbean, people generally visit for 5-7 nights.  So all I would need is one poor review to take away my superhost status.

SUGGESTION:  Do away with Superhost completely and do a review system like Amazon.  What do hosts think about that?

Freda1
Level 3
Oak Lawn, IL

Regarding the acceptance rate metric: I can't be the only host who guides a guest to another listing because the area they THOUGHT they were booking is not at all the area that Airbnb has shown them.  Search your city as a potential guest and see what listings are shown to you.  I search my exact city, which is a suburb outside of Chicago, and will be shown mostly downtown listings.  Guests who do not know the area (understandable) assume that Airbnb is showing them the location they entered into the search bar.  I could accept the bookings, but in my desire to assist travelers unfamiliar with the platform and my city, I tell them honestly that I am over an hour away from the downtown area, more if they're taking public transportation.  For this reason, I am penalized.  

Similarly, I find the review response rate an unfair metric to use for Superhost status.  There should at least be a way to have a person (although my limited experience with Airbnb customer support has proved to me that they don't have anyone who can think rationally) review cases and have the ability to remove certain non-reviews or a selected bad review from the calculation after submitting an 'exception appeal'.  I have had non-reviews for 3 reasons:
1) A first time Airbnb guest who happened to be 20 years old (yes, I took a chance on accepting him but everything was fine) didn't leave a review.  He arrived for a work assignment and most likely was just busy and didn't think it was important.  Had I known the negative consequence to me, I would have sent him a quick message to let him know that a non-review equals a bad review and he probably would have been happy to leave one. 
2) My listing is near a large medical center and most of my guests are on work assignments.  I had 3 bookings within one quarter that were made by the guest's employer.  They tell me ahead of time and I have no problem with it when it's all above board, but I can see why they wouldn't leave a review.  They didn't stay there!  I didn't review them a wonderful guest either.  Now that I know, I can request that they check with the guest and please leave a review.
3) I'm not crazy about it, but I use Instant Book.  I have had guests that arrive late (no problem, I have self check-in key pad entry) and depart early the next morning for an interview.  I never meet them.  Everything goes fine with the stay, but the guest doesn't take the time to complete a review.  If Airbnb saw the message thread, they would see that the guest is very happy with the listing and their stay, but again, I am penalized. 

I lost Superhost status for a quarter because these things happened within the same 3 month period affecting the rate.  One situation per quarter wouldn't have made an impact.  6 non-reviews in one quarter made an impact however, and even after contacting Airbnb support... well... anyone else who's a Superhost has probably had at least one situation with support.  You already know that they are useless.

Maybe if enough of us continue to call, write and make our voices heard, Airbnb may listen.  Or they will become like Craigslist... cool when it started, but way too many wierdos for normal people to consider using anymore.

Ann10
Level 10
New York, NY

The 48 hours free cancellation shouldn't be forced on us and neither should any of the other stuff that's been forced on us like this draconian rating system. For example, moderate cancellation police in order to keep Business Ready. What business doesn't have insurance or travel insurance? It's sheer manipulation. The people cancelling 5 days out are not businesses.  Also, people can buy travel insurance. Why should we take the hit? How can we get someone else in 5 days at the same price or at all? IB, SP, etc. Another thing, why are they hiding the math for this new host ratings criteria that is supposed to "help" us? The only person this new policy is helping is the extortionist and the vengeful guest who maybe a few sandwiches short of a picnic. I've had those people. So everyone knows, here is the math- 

A single 4-star rating, you need 4 perfect 5-star ratings to average 4.8

A single 3-star rating, you need 9 perfect 5-star ratings to average 4.8

A single 2-star rating, you need 14 perfect 5-star ratings to average 4.8

A single 1-star rating, you need 19 perfect 5-star ratings to average 4.8

A Host with the following scores:

61 5-Star Reviews 11-4 Star Reviews, 2 3-Star Reviews. They have 82.43% 5 Star Reviews. However, they have a 4.797 Score. 

Reason being that in order to achieve superhost status the following is true:

A host can also have the following:

18 5-star Reviews, and 1 1-Star, therefore a 94.74% 5-Star Rating. However, they will have a 4.78 Average.
13 5-Star Reviews, and 1 2-Star, therefore have a 92.85% 5-Star Rating. However, they will have a 4.78 Average.
8 5-Star Reviews, and 1 3-Star, therefore have an 88.88% 5-Star Rating. However, they will have a 4.77 Average.

And so on....  Basically, if you have one bad guest experience, where it is below 4 stars, you pay for it, big time. 

So they are telling us all these new changes are meant to "help" us, but with the SH criteria they aren't showing us the draconian math. I know from talking to the CS people that some of them are brainwashed. One of them told me that they all believe that ABB keeps our money in some super secret institution that doesn't make or give out interest. How could someone believe that. I told her no such institution exists. 

I think they intentionally hire people who are fine saying, I don't know and I don't think anyone else knows. What?  I recorded my CS encounter today and I asked 2 simple questions to American CS people and they don't know anything about the changes. They think there have not been any changes. Shouldn't they watch the BC videos at least? I'm wondering if I should put these recordings up on youtube. ABB should be embarrassed.  It's a good thing they don't have us in captivity 5 days a week.

“One believes things because one has been conditioned to believe them.”
 Aldous HuxleyBrave New World

Why don't we all unlist until we get what we want? I don't get it. If we organized, we could do it. I get most of my bookings from VRBO and Wimdu now anyway. They just did another horrifying thing to me because the Case Manager didn't know the difference between PST and EST and thought I gave out my email address before the booking was made so she canceled a reservation worth almost 7k and committed defamation of character against me.

1. There time stamp got messed up because I was in a different time zone.

2. If I had done that, it would have been blocked out. By that logic, she need to go around and cancel the bookings of about 90% of guests that have contacted me.

3. The Probited activites say you can't make offsite reservations. Giving out your email or phone number isn't making an offsite reservation. People have other reasons they do it, like they want to protect themselves because there is no host protection. You have to DIY. Even though I never gave my email before the reservation was made, I did point out what the Prohibited Conduct says. She agreed w me, but said that if someone gave out their information they would be doing something suspicious. She says she could suspend me because I have not accepted the TOS. I said that isn't true. I accept them, I just don't see words that are not there. I also said threatening someone is against ABB policy and if she threatens to suspend me again I would report her. 

4. I also told her I have taken legal action against airbnb for incompetence and immoral actions by case managers before and I won, but she doesn't seem phased. I don't know if she doesn't believe me or what, but it will cost ABB at least $1700 more if I file a claim against them. It doesn't make sense for her not to own up to her mistake. Plus, I could also go for defamation of character. Oh yeah, someone called me to apologize for the whole mess and said I did nothing wrong. I recorded the phone call. I've been recording all the calls. Anyway, she said she would call me the next day at the same time. That was on the 14th. I had made it clear that I wanted my money and an apology to the guest. She had said for sure to the apology, but I never ever got a call back about the money. In summary, I was never called back about my money or reassured about the guest getting an apology. There is more to the story, but I realize I'm off topic. These case managers are so arrogant that they think they can do whatever they want. She doesn't understand that I'm not playing. I will get my money. How can they have someone who doesn't know that time zones can mess up the time stamp working there? Why don't they train these people. I'm baffled that this company can keep going. I guess it's the unique places. 

Ann10
Level 10
New York, NY

@Freda1- The only way they will listen is if we all unlist until our demands are met. That is the only thing that will work. We have to pull the rug out from under their feet. I'm getting almost all my listings from Home Away and Wimdu now anyway. If you read the thread on Quora called, Is Airbnb dying? They name a bunch of new up and coming sites. I'm not afraid to unlist. I can wait until everyone has listed on other sites, but I don't think anyone else will do it. There are some people who take whatever they dish out. Sad!

I had to take legal action to get them to do the right thing. That was the only thing that would work, and it cost them more than if they had done the right thing in the 1st place. Writing letters isn't going to work. There is nothing hard to understand about 80% 5 Star reviews. That is a made up story. No guest has every told me that they couldn't understand that. The people have been coming up w the new "programs" to "help" us are cruel and draconian. In my opinion sociopathic. 

Ann10
Level 10
New York, NY

@

Kim
Kim-The only way to see the star rating is to let them manipulate you into doing Instant Book. This is from a company that says they value honesty and transparency. On eBay, you can see everything about a potential buyer. I look at reviews left for others. If I don't like what I see, I can block the person. I've even cancelled transactions because I saw that the person basically gave almost all bad reviews. Then I blocked the guy. I won't do business w a trouble maker. We should be able to protect ourselves here as well, but ABB just wants the money. They even let criminals stay on the site after they know they have committed crimes against hosts and they remove honest reviews. The only way they will remove someone is if their credit card is bad.

Ute42
Level 10
Germany

@Helen @Shawn @Ann @Sarah @Susan 

Hi Ann, Your math ist right.

Let's assume You have 2 hosts that show a 100% identical hosting performance.

-   Host No 1 has 19 nice guests in a row and will remain superhost.

-   Host No 2 has 18 nice guest but one dude who rates him badly and he's out.

One of the 2 hosts keeps the badge, the other doesn't. The reason for this: Well, one of them was lucky, the other one was unfortunate to run into this dude. Could have been the other way round.

Under the new superhost criteria the badge will no more be an indication for outstanding hosting performance, it will be an indication if You were lucky or not. It's just like roulette.

Ann10
Level 10
New York, NY

@

Ute
Ute- I believe in the beginning they tried to tell us this new system was going to "help" more people become SHs. I intuitively knew that was a bunch of BS. It's a new story everyday w these people. They are not going to listen to us and do what we want unless it is something they want to do. Then they will come out with a big proclimation about how we spoke and they listened. Please! 

We spoke like crazy about how we didn't want the 48 hours free cancellation policy forced on us, and they did it anyway. The only way to get these people to listen is if we all do a world wide unlist until our demands are met. Until then they will continue to walk on us and treat us like we are worthless. That's my opinion anyway based on all of my horrifying experinces w their "Trust and Safety" Team and all the programs that are meant to "help". I feel the "though police" really think we are that stupid.