Make the most of Airbnb’s pre-booking message feature

Airbnb
Official Account

Make the most of Airbnb’s pre-booking message feature

What brings you to the area? Who are you coming with? When do you think you’ll arrive? Airbnb hosts have a number of questions swirling through their minds when they receive a booking. And many hosts take the opportunity to get to know their potential guests by asking these questions before guests book instantly. It’s not required, of course; but, adding questions to a pre-booking message can help drum up more information about potential guests, simplify the booking process, and ensure a great relationship with guests from the start.

Next month, Airbnb is launching an improved feature: pre-booking message. It’s a better way for hosts to add a greeting and ask all of the questions you want before guests book instantly. (You’ll have plenty of room, too, because we’ve increased the character count. And if you currently use welcome message, there’s no need to change anything.) Your potential guests will read your message while they’re booking, and be able to respond to your questions before confirming their reservation.

Here are some ways to make the most of Airbnb’s pre-booking message feature.

5 pre-booking message tips from fellow hosts

1. Start by thanking your potential guest

“I think it's a good way to build trust and a way to encourage a good stay,” said host Juan, of Colombia.

• I always thank them for their booking request and ask them to ensure they have read the listing details and house rules carefully for suitability.—Kath, Albany, Australia
  • Warm greetings! I welcome you to this space that I take care of with affection. It’s a place of well-being and for those of you who like to connect with nature.
    • What brings you to this area?
    • Who are you traveling with?
    • What time do you think you will arrive?
    • Why do you want to stay in the cottage?"—Juan, Medellín, Colombia
  • We're excited for your stay and we’d like to know:
    • What's bringing you to Durham?
    • What time can we commit with you for check in?
    • Who is traveling with you?
    • If you plan on taking breakfast with us, do you have any dietary considerations we need to be aware?
  • Do you have any questions about the House Rules? We look forward to hearing from you!—Alice + Jeff, Durham, North Carolina, U.S.A.

2. Ask about what’s most important

Think about the one thing that would make a great (or not-so-great) stay for you and your guests, and ask them about it in your pre-booking message, like these hosts do:

• The most important question for me is: What brings you to the area? This helps me better prepare for their visit. If they are coming to visit a destination two hours away from my town, I want to help them understand the distance and the drive time. If they are coming to celebrate an anniversary or something special, I want to congratulate them and leave them something small. If they are coming for a local event, I might give them a tip or recommend a good place for dinner afterwards.—Emilia, Orono, Maine, U.S.A.
  • I ask them what time they are arriving (super important) and reiterate my earliest check-in time, adding that every Airbnb is different and not like a hotel.—Ange, New York, New York, U.S.A.

3. Invite guests to re-read the listing and House Rules

When writing your pre-booking message, take the opportunity to remind guests of any crucial listing details they may have missed. “I put myself in the guest’s shoes,” French host Marie Line said. “Sometimes we are so happy to have found the apartment of our dreams that we hurry to reserve it—I once booked an apartment without realizing sheets weren’t provided! So, I think if the hosts had invited me to read their listing again, I wouldn't have made that kind of mistake." Other hosts offer these suggestions:

• I remind them about the three floors with no elevator, which some people have discovered when they arrive!—Beatrice, Annecy, France
  • I warn them about the potential lack of water at night due to limited service in the area and offer to collect water if they need it.—Juan, Medellín, Colombia
  • I ask them if they understood that I live in an inner city area that can be scruffy in parts.—Helen, Bristol, England
  • I ask them if they understand the apartment setting and clear the view with them, as we have both lake- and garden-view apartments.—Ana, Ohrid, Macedonia
  • I also remind them of the house rules regarding no smoking, no pets, no parties and no more than six people allowed to stay at the property. I explain that this information will help me determine if our listing is a good fit for their group.—Linda + Richard, San Antonio, Texas, U.S.A.

4. Get to know your guests

To customize your hospitality and let guests know you care, hosts recommend asking questions like these:

• I ask if they are coffee drinkers—medium or dark roast—and if they are, I pick up some freshly-roasted coffee prior to their arrival. If there is any construction happening in the neighborhood, I disclose it prior to accepting the booking. If guests are bringing a car, I discourage it because of parking restrictions, cost, and traffic. Finally, I mention our No. 1 tourist attraction and tell my guests to buy a ticket at least 2 months in advance. This way, they realize I'm thinking of their needs even prior to their arrival.—Donna, San Francisco, California, U.S.A.
  • Every time I book, I ask the guests the same questions and about children: What time will you arrive? How many beds do you want? Do you need a cot or high chair?—Jean-Pierre, Monès, France
  • We live in a small farming and tourist town, so I always ask guests if they have been to our town before. If not, I will offer some info on restaurants and hours of operation as well as local amenities. I always help guests plan their activities if needed.—Daphne, Montagu, South Africa

5. Showcase your hosting style

Some hosts ask a lot of pre-booking questions while others ask none. Hosts recommend reflecting your hosting style—whether it be laid back or strict—when you’re asking questions in your pre-booking message. This will also help guests determine if it’s the right fit:

• I ask no questions at all. I would feel very inconsiderate if I asked the purpose of the trip. Since the guests do not live with me in an apartment, it is none of my business.—Ilona, Torremolinos, Spain.
  • Most of my guests are pretty informative in their booking request, but if their initial message is brief, I'll ask these mandatory questions:
    • Have you thoroughly read through the entire listing description, scrolling through to the bottom to read House Rules?
    • Are you prepared to abide by the house rules and be respectful of the accommodation?
    • Have you asked any questions you may have before committing to a booking?
    • Do you understand the importance of communicating your ETA and if you for some reason can't arrive at that time, will you please let us know in a timely manner?
    • Will you thoroughly read your itinerary after your booking is confirmed, making sure dates and number of guests are correct and noting door codes and other arrival information?—Sarah, Sayulita, Mexico
  • I don't like to bombard a guest with questions in my first communication, although I totally understand hosts who may want more info. The only thing I request is the full names of all guests (including doggy guests!). It's been my experience not to be necessarily concerned or worried about guests who don't volunteer more info—different people have different communication styles.—Suzanne, North Carolina, U.S.A.

Once you’ve saved your pre-booking message, potential guests will automatically receive it when they use book instantly. Creating a pre-booking message once will help simplify the booking process, give you more peace of mind, and let guests know they have a wonderful stay ahead.

282 Replies 282

I also have had bookings for 1 person, but the guest mentions there will be 3 of them.  Thankfully, there is an option for hosts to change the booking, and Airbnb contacts the guest to accept the change.  It's way easier for a host to change the number of guests, I think.

Yes, that is the way to do it.

I too, Right after their instant book for 1 guest, but the message said family of 4, I will send them a message asking how many guests and also go to reservation and change # of guests, they will either except or cancel.

If they don't response next day, I send the message remind them of my 48hrs period cancel free, after that is 50% refund per ours trick cancellation policy.

They ended up cancel it, It is betters, the calendar is available again for other guests.

Hi Julie. 

In these circumstancee the guest doesnt need to cancel and rebook , you can amend it for them , using Amend or Cancel booking .

You can change the number of guests ,  and / or the price,  or you can even change the dates.

I've had  a few bookings for 1 person and then when I question it I find they are really 2 or 3 people. 

I then amend the booking correctly and the guest receives an automatic alert where they agree the new details. 

Call AirBnb, they can change the number of guests and charge the guests as long as there is dialog in the chat regarding the additional guests. The guest doesnt even need to approve or confirm the transaction. This has happened two times and a simple phone call resolved it. Leave it to AirBnb to deal with the guests questions regarding those transactions.

Call AirBnb, they can change the number of guests and charge the guests as long as there is dialog in the chat regarding the additional guests. The guest doesn't even need to approve or confirm the transaction. This has happened two times and a simple phone call resolved it. Leave it to AirBnb to deal with the guests questions regarding those transactions.

-

@Nanz-Joel0

Which number do you use for this call?

It sounds so easy. 

This is a constant problem for me, as I have a per  person pricing policy so I don't price out the solo traveler. 

Many guests try to take advantage of that by booking for one then bringing more, and I would really appreciate being able to put a stop to it in the same manner you use. 

Thanks for your info. 

When guests are asking to stay with us (since I will not use instant booking) I send them a pre-written "General Statement to All Guests" that speaks of the limitations of my Lodge. I can only handle 7 people . . . period.

I list the type of bedding available and that no more than my limits will be accepted. By giving this to them, I am stating AGAIN in a message to the potential guest that I am firm about my policy and my limitations. If somone violates that limit, perhaps we should add there will be a $ 300 charge for additional guests past my limit. (JUST KIDDING ABOUT THE $300!!!!) 

Don-and-Sandy0
Level 3
Pennsylvania, United States

We recently agreed to weekend guests, but only after I verified with the guest that only 8 were coming (6 adults, 2 kids), and that it was not a party. We live in another state, but happened to have been there all week working on the cottage and were nearby Friday night.  The cottage is in a peaceful village and when we heard all the noise, especially from the pool, we checked our only security camera in the front of the house. 7 cars were parked there!  We walked by and knew that there were a lot of people there. But when Airbnb then called the guest, the guest told him that there had been company, but they had left. (They hadn't).  We advised Airbnb that there were still 7 cars there, but the guest then said that the adults had each driven their own cars. We had no proof of extra guests because they didn't congregate in the front where the camera was! It was not until they were leaving on Sunday that we got a pic of them all standing by their cars. We counted 26 people that had resided in our 3 bedroom cottage all weekend!  If our septic fails, the cost to us will be astronomical, quite a price to pay for an untruthful guest. I am wondering, since 16 people were trespassing and  got a free weekend on Cape Cod at our expense, should the guests be given a half hour warning for the extras to vacate and then the police be called? It was so frustrating that our property was at risk and there was nothing that could be done!  (We had to head home early Sat. morning and just didn't feel safe knocking on the door Fri. night requesting them to leave).  Your thoughts? 

Awful, I had similar experience with horrible guests. When I went to the apartment at check out time, they were all still there. I called AirBnb after they left and on their advice requested payment for the additional non approved guests. Guess what happened after that - the guests complained to airBnb that I have assaulted them, AirBnb messages me that they received a report of an assault and they are suspending my listing until they investigate. They didn't even tell me who complained and what was the detail in the complaint. How can I defend myself? After numerous phone calls  one of the so called "case managers"   told me who was the guest who complained. I was lucky that I had the check out recorded and send them the recording. Guess what,  no response from AirBnb - I had to call again day after day, ceriously, I had a nervous breakdown - this is my only income. Finally, after 7 days, without any messaging back my listings was restored, but AirBnb refused to process the request for additional payment.  I messaged the so called "case manager" to enquire why wasn't she telling me who the complainant is - she responded after 20 days with a link to their help. AirBnb is a disgusting machine protecting disgusting guests  because this is how they make money, they don't care about the hosts. Once I get off this greedy machine that is airBnb, I am considering suing them for human rights violations. Your thoughts? 

They dont need to cancel the booking, they just need to change it, there is an easy option for this, we have also installed key locks on the extra bedroom doors and if they insist that they only need one bed, we get the cleaner to lock the other rooms off so they have to ask if they need more beds and in this case i would contact Airbnb to change their booking and to charge the extra.  

"Airbnb fed right into them, acted like I was cruel and heartless when I didn't want to give them a full refund."

I have had the same experience and sounded the Airbnb people about it. They copped an attitude when I said no. Then I asked why are you even asking me to issue a refund when the final decision lies with you? Just make your decision and don 't big Father me. Sheesh. Now their booking fees have gone up and are unreasonable. 

As hosts we have to realize that the guests come first as far an Airbnb is concerned. Look at how much more a guest pays to Airbnb than we, as hosts, pay. Once I realized that, all has been much much better to understand.

I fully agree, I am so surprised by the amount of hosts who act like it’s a privilege to stay in their home.

guests have a choice, I feel honoured that my guests chose to stay with me and I make them feel that way!

Guests are usually on vacation, wanting to have fun, it’s bad enough when they are required to give reasons for their stay and other personal info no hotel would ask!

If I need a host to “grace” me with their approval I would rather book a hotel where guests come first.

"I am so surprised by the amount of hosts who act like it’s a privilege to stay in their home.

guests have a choice, I feel honoured that my guests chose to stay with me and I make them feel that way!"

Of course it is a privilege to stay in our homes! My home, my rules. 

That is hog wash, if they didn't have hosts they wouldn't have a business, so hosts and guests are equally as important, but I also think that guests should treated like royalty by their hosts to make their experience as pleasant as possible, we get a lot of repeat guests and great reviews because we treat our guests very well and make them feel  like family so they feel comfortable and want to stay or to come back.