THANKS @airbnb FOR TAKING MY 50% REFUNDS AND PAYING ME 12.5% INSTEAD

THANKS @airbnb FOR TAKING MY 50% REFUNDS AND PAYING ME 12.5% INSTEAD

How generous of you @Airbnb to continue to override our agreements with our guests.

I thought it was really creative the way you

guys figured out how to continue to force losses on the hosts but make it sound like you were being generous.

Your first change was stupid (it was not a matter of public health because you could have had the same effect by providing credits to the guests so they could reschedule their trips in the future).  Instead of realizing that YOU DOUBLED DOWN ON SCREWING THE HOSTS!

Let me make it simple for you... here’s the solution... EITHER LEAVE OUR AGREED UPON CANCELLATION POLICIES ALONE OR PAY THE REUNDS IN CREDITS OUT OF YOUR OWN POCKET!!!!!!!!!

83 Replies 83

@Serafina2

I heard end of April but need to fill out application.

But doesn't it all seem very nebulous? You would think there would be application but I'm thinking it's by invitation... thoughts? 

Even though I qualify for the Superhost Grant - I'm not super confident in the Airbnb leadership's ability to chose in the best interest of individual hosts.

How do they determine whether it's a significant portion of my income? 

Does anyone have any clarity around this?

Thanks in advance. 

I got an email and said that it would automatically deposit my account somewhere toward the end of the month.

Do we still need to fill out an application? 

It seems there is a lot of confusion between the 25% refund and the Superhost grants.  I'll try to give my interpretation.  If I am wrong, please feel free to correct me.

25% Refund:  If you are a host of any kind, don't need to be a Superhost, you in theory get 25% of what you would have gotten if Airbnb had not over-ridden your cancellation policy.  It appears that will leave most hosts with Moderate and Flexible Cancellation policies out in the cold.  Hosts with Strict Cancellation policies might get something; however, I am also seeing a spate of messages where Airbnb is trying to get guests to cancel as soon as possible so they are outside of the window where the host would get paid more (5 days for Moderate meaning host gets nothing, 7 days for Strict meaning host would get 25% of 50%).  In theory Airbnb is going to lump all these 25% payments together and send them out some time in April and then monthly ongoing - which begs the question as to how long they plan to do this.  You do not need to apply, you are supposed to magically receive funds.  All of my cancelled reservations still show $0 being paid to me as opposed to any 25% of the 50% or 100% cancellation penalty.

Superhost Grants:  This where you supposedly need to have been a Superhost for at least a year and have no more than two properties listed.  Under this program you can potentially receive a grant for up to $5000.  Supposedly there is no way to 'apply' for this program.  Airbnb staff will select the lucky winners.  One of the criteria is that you have 'Show a reliance on Airbnb as a vital source of income.'  I don't know how anyone could do that without showing Airbnb their tax returns or other financials.  And I have no idea how Airbnb could be selecting hosts for this grant without knowing that information, other than maybe looking at comment boards and seeing how devastated some hosts truly are by Airbnb's poorly thought-out policies.

Hope this helps.

@Brenda328

Yes, a lot of people are getting confused, and that's hardly surprising given the lack of clarity from Airbnb.

From what I understand, at the moment anyway (who knows what will change), you are spot on. The only point I would question is:

"In theory Airbnb is going to lump all these 25% payments together and send them out some time in April and then monthly ongoing."

That is not my understanding. Airbnb CS has told me, and I asked about three times for clarification on this, that the payments will not paid as a lump sum, but rather split up and paid in monthly instalments which will start from sometime in April so, if anyone is due multiple payouts from cancellations, don't expect to receive them all in April.

"

Airbnb Support10:43
You may actually qualify for multiple payouts. We can better manage and account for the payouts we’ll be sending to our hosts by sending them on a monthly basis instead of in a single batch.

Have a nice day,

Marina"

Re the Superhost fund yes, exactly. How does Airbnb decide which hosts to 'invite' and which hosts are suffering the greatest hardship, without knowing the ins and outs of our finances? Even though I am automatically disqualified (having three listings, but all in my own home), I would like to know. Perhaps they will look at who has had the most cancellations/the greatest loss of Airbnb income, but that doesn't say anything about that person's financial position.They could be a pauper or they could be a multi-millionaire.

I think we should all call on Airbnb to clarify exactly how they are deciding who merits an invitation.
Angela1330
Level 3
Penistone, United Kingdom

Once again Airbnb have shown a complete lack of moral integrity, good sense and leadership ability!  They have built on their previous mistakes and tried to get good publicity out of another flawed approach. Their initial idea for Airbnb was inspired and the founders are billionaires because of it, but the fundamental problem is that this good idea is not backed up by any leadership experience, ability or integrity and compounded by a complete lack of professional communication skills. 

All they had to do was leave it to hosts to manage their own relationships with their guests.  Most of us would have encouraged guests to re-schedule, or claim on their travel insurance, and where guests could prove that they were at very high risk and in desperate need, we would have voluntarily waived our own cancellation policy’s.  

The video from the founder showed a real lack of business acumen. As you say, it's a good idea that raised huge capital well before any sign of profitability. Most of these tech start-ups on the 'service' side are poor at board level. Snap, WeWork........all loss making with no sign of profits to come. That really sums up Brian Chesky.

Agree with you that hosts can make the sensible decision. Mix of no refund, part refund, or full refund. 

I agree. They should have been forced to pay if strict cancel policy chosen BUT can use the time and credit in the future.  I count on payments.

Good idea.

@Angel1330 100% yes.  I crafted a message explaining my situation to guests when we were discussing refunds and every single one of them understood.  I’ve also done rescheduling and other things myself.  Airbnb should have kept out of it.  Of course there would have been guests who felt upset by it, but it’s what they agreed to. Instead they undercut the hosts on one of the most fundamental issues... whether I have some security in paying my mortgage.  And I’m sorry but in 99% of these cancellations it was either a.  Some other business who should pay for it in accordance with the agreed upon policy.  Or b.  People who had enough money set aside to take a vacation.  They lose their vacation, we lose our homes.

And also we have to deal with the guests who try to cancel because they think they will get a 100% refund, so they can book a cheaper place. When they can't get a 100% refund, they want me to reinstate their reservation. 

Oh you get 12.5 %? That's cute. I get NOTHING. Because I just started in October I am not valuable to this company. I have nothing but perfect five star ratings, and have never had a complaint. I enjoy hosting, and find joy in ensuring that my guests are 100% satisfied. But I'm NOTHING to the platform. I am expendable. Good to know. Also- cute little trick with changing the cancellation procedure to lead guests to think that I am being a jerk when I don't cancel when they ask me to. They also want to know why they don't get 100% refund as they were promised. I'm the bad guy. Way to pass the buck. 
But thank you, Airbnb. Thank you for showing me what you really think of your hosts before I became too invested in this. 

How long do we have to be a host to qualify? 

You have to be a Superhost for a year before you would qualify.