THANKS @airbnb FOR TAKING MY 50% REFUNDS AND PAYING ME 12.5% INSTEAD

THANKS @airbnb FOR TAKING MY 50% REFUNDS AND PAYING ME 12.5% INSTEAD

How generous of you @Airbnb to continue to override our agreements with our guests.

I thought it was really creative the way you

guys figured out how to continue to force losses on the hosts but make it sound like you were being generous.

Your first change was stupid (it was not a matter of public health because you could have had the same effect by providing credits to the guests so they could reschedule their trips in the future).  Instead of realizing that YOU DOUBLED DOWN ON SCREWING THE HOSTS!

Let me make it simple for you... here’s the solution... EITHER LEAVE OUR AGREED UPON CANCELLATION POLICIES ALONE OR PAY THE REUNDS IN CREDITS OUT OF YOUR OWN POCKET!!!!!!!!!

83 Replies 83

@Jennie131

@Dustin-and-Kelli0 

No, that is not correct. See @Brenda328 's explanation above.

Any host is eligible for the 25% of cancellation fees, but what that actually amounts to depends on the cancellation policy you had in place and how far in advance the guest cancels. You do not need to be a Superhost or have been hosting for a specific amount of time.

You are confusing this with the Superhost Fund, which is a different matter altogether. That is the fund that has been set up to assist hosts who have been Superhosts for one year (plus there are other limitations like number of listings) and is by invitation only. You cannot apply unless you are invited to. However, that has nothing to do with the cancellation fees.

PS update on the above. Although the information previously just mentioned that you had to be a Superhost for a year or more, I just read today that Airbnb will now be focusing the on inviting applications for the Superhost grants to those who have been Superhosts for four or more years.

As mentioned already, that has no impact on the $25,000,000 fund to hand out 25% of cancellation fees as they are two separate things.

Joanne210
Level 2
London, United Kingdom

I am so outraged!! So bloody "generous" to offer us 25% whilst the guests have 100% refund?!   I am fuming!!! We have mortgages to pay!

I had a trip planned and I barely received a third as a refund. I can't type anymore without writing many expletives in several languages so I will stop here.  

I had a cruise planned and had to call 4 times and be on hold 22 hours!!! Now they claim they'll send refund in 6 weeks.  I was 4 months from date of cruise...   Our renters get back without asking.

I had a guest book NONREFUNDABLE, and at the first opportunity asked me to refund her. Nonrefundable means just that! I know someone who planned her wedding. She booked the caterers, flowers, venue, photographer, etc. Unfortunately, she had to postpone her wedding for reasons out of her control. She lost the nonrefundable deposits on all of these services. Why is it different for us?

@Anthony1092   Actually,  I'll bet you Hosts didn't know, but THIS is the email that Airbnb is sending to our Guests.  Curious to hear from all of you about this new development:

Dear xxxxx,
We know you have a reservation coming up. We remain hopeful that you will be able to complete your travel safely. We also understand that the coronavirus (COVID-19) may impact your ability to travel and wanted to make sure you’re aware of your options if you need to make changes to your upcoming trip.
We’ve expanded our cancellation options. You can always change or cancel your existing reservation under the terms of your host’s cancellation policy. As an alternative, we are now also offering guests impacted by COVID-19 the option to cancel and get 100% of the amount they’ve already paid as travel credit to use toward a future trip. To receive this credit, please cancel at least 7 full days before your check-in date to give your host plenty of notice. Know that when you choose this option, Airbnb will also pay your host a portion of the reservation value from a support fund we have established for this purpose. This is our way of helping to ease the financial burden of both our guests and hosts during this crisis.
Please visit the Tripssection of Airbnb's website or app for more details about your cancellation options. If you are still able or need to travel, we recommend observance of health and governmental guidelines and wish you a safe journey.
We are all looking forward to a time when travel will be more predictable again. Until then, our hosts will continue to offer a variety of flexible cancellation policies to provide you peace of mind for future travel. Thank you for being part of the Airbnb community and please continue to consider us for your future travel plans.
Sincerely,
The Airbnb Team

OMG 😳 really! 

The important thing about this is: IT'S A LIE!  Their COVID-19 policy is still in place.  Guest can obtain 100% monetary refund (back to their credit card) at any time right up until the reservation date.  I spoke to Airbnb support and this is true -- I have pictures of the conversation -- it's true.  When I asked why are you telling Hosts they can only get 100% refund back in the form of a voucher?  Why are you telling the guest them musts cancel at least 7 days prior to the reservation date (implying they otherwise get $0).  The Airbnb support person said "we were just offering another option" and "it was just a suggestion." 

Yes, totally agree. If you have a strict cancellation policy, you will only get 12.5% instead of 50%. If you have a flexible or moderate policy, you will get nothing!!

Meanwhile, guests get a full credit refund and Airbnb sits on all the cash (earning big interest) until they book again. Once again, the only losers are the hosts!!

Cannot understand why they didn't just give guests credit so they could book the same property in the future. Would have avoided a big mess!

You are absolutely right. 

And the statistics for how often consumer don't use gift cards/credits/vouchers is pretty high, so Chesky is counting on that too! 

We are Superhosts with Airbnb for 6 years now and have worked tirelessly as partners of Airbnb. Yes we totally agree that Airbnb just left the hosts out in the cold. What is the point of having a cancellation policy when you can just decide not to follow it! 

25% of cancellation fees for hosts? Are you kidding me? What about the other 75%? We, the home providers have to suffer that loss on our own?

We should come together to create a new app and lets say goodbye to Airbnb. 

Good ideea.

We are not even getting the 25%.  It's a PR stunt.

Today I received my notice

Subject: Re: You earned Superhost again!

But I have to use my $100 travel bonus by June 2020!! In the midst of covid19 global pandemic and shutdown! More fake generosity. 

If anytime knows where to send the following message, please do so or let me know. Thanks.

" Please extend bonus past June 2020. Obviously no one will be able to use the bonus during this global pandemic.