Airbnb Algorithm

Answered!
Eric8698
Level 1
Munich, Germany

Airbnb Algorithm

Dear Community.. 

I would like to know how you fare on Airbnb searches and bookings. Are you benefiting from Airbnb's algorithm? Systems have become intelligent enough to run rankings, matches and suitability. But why do some properties disappear in search engines?

Top Answer
Karen4131
Top Contributor
Malmö, Sweden

Hi @Eric8698 

You host such beautiful places! Amazing views over the sea!

The reason some listings don’t show up on Airbnb is because Airbnb only displays 15 pages with 18 listings per search. For example, as you can see from the screenshot below, when I search for Margate South Beach, South Africa, there are over 1,000 listings.

This means that at least 730 listings are not being shown. I did an open search without any dates or other criteria. Airbnb always limits the results to these 270 listings in any given search, leaving the rest excluded.

Karen4131_0-1727945097305.png

However, when you start applying filters, like categories or specific criteria, the picture changes. For instance, I did a search using filters for 1 bed, a pool, and pets allowed, and this narrowed it down to only 166 properties. In this case, all listings that meet the criteria are shown, since the total doesn’t exceed the 270-listing limit.

Karen4131_1-1727945763440.png

The key takeaway is that ranking well is crucial if you want to appear on one of the the first pages, since many potential guests don’t click beyond that.

Try searching for "Airbnb search algorithm 2024" on Google; there are many great tips on how to improve your ranking. – And to answer that part of your question, I personally benefit greatly from understanding these criteria. I’ve tailored my entire listing, the way I manage it, and my communication approach based on them. Currently, my listing appears on the first page in 64% of searches, which I’m quite satisfied with for my area.

Note: Make sure to select Airbnb's Professional Tools under your account settings to get insights and data on how your listings rank, for example, if you haven't already done so.

Karen4131_2-1727947012504.png

I hope this helps. Good luck with your listings! Your listings have all the right qualities to succeed in the competition in your area! 👍

Best regards,

Karen

View Top Answer in original post

4 Replies 4
Karen4131
Top Contributor
Malmö, Sweden

Hi @Eric8698 

You host such beautiful places! Amazing views over the sea!

The reason some listings don’t show up on Airbnb is because Airbnb only displays 15 pages with 18 listings per search. For example, as you can see from the screenshot below, when I search for Margate South Beach, South Africa, there are over 1,000 listings.

This means that at least 730 listings are not being shown. I did an open search without any dates or other criteria. Airbnb always limits the results to these 270 listings in any given search, leaving the rest excluded.

Karen4131_0-1727945097305.png

However, when you start applying filters, like categories or specific criteria, the picture changes. For instance, I did a search using filters for 1 bed, a pool, and pets allowed, and this narrowed it down to only 166 properties. In this case, all listings that meet the criteria are shown, since the total doesn’t exceed the 270-listing limit.

Karen4131_1-1727945763440.png

The key takeaway is that ranking well is crucial if you want to appear on one of the the first pages, since many potential guests don’t click beyond that.

Try searching for "Airbnb search algorithm 2024" on Google; there are many great tips on how to improve your ranking. – And to answer that part of your question, I personally benefit greatly from understanding these criteria. I’ve tailored my entire listing, the way I manage it, and my communication approach based on them. Currently, my listing appears on the first page in 64% of searches, which I’m quite satisfied with for my area.

Note: Make sure to select Airbnb's Professional Tools under your account settings to get insights and data on how your listings rank, for example, if you haven't already done so.

Karen4131_2-1727947012504.png

I hope this helps. Good luck with your listings! Your listings have all the right qualities to succeed in the competition in your area! 👍

Best regards,

Karen

@Karen4131 This is fabulous 👍 Great information, presentation and insights. I am sure you are a great host 😎. Happy Hosting 🙂

Elisa
Community Manager
Community Manager

Hi @Eric8698 😊

Thank you for bringing up this topic here!

In the meantime, have you found an answer?

What do you think about  @Karen4131 's comment?

I am happy to share an interesting guide from our Host @Dr-Jayanthi1 where she discusses about Unlocking the Power of AI:- Series-1. Elevate Your Airbnb Hosting Game!

Warm regards🌻,

-----

Please follow the Community Guidelines //Merci de jeter un oeil aux Principes du Community Center

Hi @Elisa . Made my day. Happy to see my write up being shared to hosts. Encourages me put more time and effort and be of use to the community. Hmm., well understanding the Airbnb algorithm is a task - but achievable, however the great team is always working on upgrades and it is dynamic. End of day it is being made more friendly both on the guest and the host perspectives. I recommend you play around the application both as host and guest to give you clarity- it's a great DIY system - Love it 😎 and kudos to the team 👍.

On the personal experience tot he algorithm I would describe it as follows:-

It picks your listing as per the

1. Listing amenities - do your homework and a bit of investment as well. Avoid the fancy but add in the essentials. get into a guest's hat and attempt on what you can and make sure to bring it out on your listing descriptions -AI is fantastic given the prompts.

2. Pricing - make it competitive, however that's your conscious and smart decision. I never wish to compromise/reduce on my fixed price, but add in a weekly and monthly discount, tweak with personal discounts only on understanding guest use pattern and go in for a monthly price as well. The application is friendly to get money and give back money to the guests as the need may be - but use it cautiously on need base. 

3. Recent stays and their reviews - I personally dread having a "not so good review" - I hope I am out of "bad review" fears now. Nevertheless recent reviews add a lot to rank up your listing on the algorithm. Getting positive reviews is a task well taken by the host. Do maintain sufficient yet subtle connects with your guests from the check in time until check out and need based even after check out. Don't nag but make meaningful conversations emphasising that their reviews take you a long way with your hosting journey. I have a quick message that I post after I am assured that my guests have checked out. "Thank you for staying with us. Great to have you. Looking forward to a five star review on Airbnb 😎 Helps me host great guests like you. Safe trips and Great day". I do feel compelled to make my stand and request a positive feedback from my guests. Feel free to use my lines 👍.

4. Keep adding in good pictures that speak well for your listing. Have clarity in your descriptions Visa vis your pictures. 

5. Promise what you can and deliver the best. My recent trick is to state the essentials and add in few extras when ever and where ever you can.

6. Shift to travel mode in Airbnb - understand what your neighbourhood provides, try to be on par.

7. Prepare and make guide books - bring inAI and tweak in to suit your type of guests. 

8. Make a few customised add ons - play stuff when you may house kids, welcome kits, add in an extra blanket, extra cutlery, pots and pans when housing families. Say you are prepared to add in specifics when ever possible.

9. Have flexi Check in and Check out based on guest requirements. Of course it's demanding and impossible when you run on full calendar - but can be accommodated if you have a couple of free nights. Try them, it works.

10. Stay tuned to hosting with passion and compassion.   Be there and embrace - unreasonable hospitality. You win eventually.

Hope these help. Happy Hosting