Announcements

Winter Release Q&A with Airbnb’s Christy Schrader

Winter Release Q&A session

Airbnb You Broke Our Heart and Our Business ...

Kimberly718
Level 10
North Stonington, CT

Airbnb You Broke Our Heart and Our Business ...

Dear Airbnb, 

Regarding the overhaul of the Airbnb site into categories and removing control from hosts; I understand what you were going for but this should have been tested for usability by both hosts and travelers in the form of a ride-along widget to the existing legacy functionality of the site before a system-wide change.  Hopefully, you are reading these forums, hopefully, your CEO is reading these forums because Airbnb just f----- royally with the core of your product: your hosts.  My bookings since this change was implemented have ceased, visibility non-existent and from what I am reading this is affecting thousands if not millions of other hosts.

Brian Chesky, my name is Kim Grijalva and I am the face of Airbnb along with millions of other hosts. I hope you take the time to read and hear from us.  

When Covid hit, so many people stepped up and offered their places for workers and did their part to give back. In the midst of what was happening around the world, Airbnb rose to meteoric success with a product in the right place at the right time, but they didn't do it alone; it was on the backs of hard-working hosts like myself. But we loved Airbnb, great tools, great interface, insights... we made money, Airbnb made money and travelers had options — from a treehouse in Peru to a staycation weekend an hour from home and everything in between. It was a Win-Win-Win. 

My business pre covid was running a design and marketing firm, and my primary clientele were 5-star resorts: Four Seasons, Hyatt, St Regis, etc. As you know, the travel industry was decimated, all the mentioned hotel companies shuttered, and even Marriott, the biggest of the "Big" had massive layoffs. But people picked up and did what they had to to survive. For us, that was sinking everything we had to create a special place on an old farm and run it like I'd seen for 25 years among my core clientele in the travel industry. Airbnb was different; they gave "Small" a chance to compete with "Big." We hosts were doing what we loved, we had hit our stride, and we were not just surviving but thriving, enjoying what we were doing and meeting wonderful guests along the way. Connecting with people and creating the face of Airbnb.

We are stylists, photographers, marketers, and creative experience curators. But then Airbnb gets "Big," really big, and so it decides to feed that big ego, and like the hotel valet that parks the most expensive and sexiest sports car in the front of the hotel, Airbnb parked the best, sexiest of all listings front and center and we "Small" independent, hard-working hosts now relegated to the mire of stuff that was deemed not so special were floating around somewhere else, considered too dumb to be able to properly tag our listings with accurate locations or descriptions, our places went from wow to where? Our hearts were broken because we foolishly thought Airbnb was different from Amazon, Facebook, and Google. We thought Airbnb saw us as people that couldn't be replaced by Ai and that they knew that without us, they'd be nothing; that they'd created nothing tangible, nothing crafted, curated; not a single calloused hand. 0 product, 0 experiences, 0 heart, 0 loyalty. 

49 Replies 49

Suggest working with your community host leader to ask that you are placed into at least three categories. Also recommend updating copy so that specific categories and defining details can be searched for by the Ai and guests like Farm, Amazing Views, Countryside etc. Also look at the first ten photos you have in your listing and make sure they represent the best and broadest of what you offer so if you're about those title listings I just mentioned then make sure the photos convey that. Also make sure you reach out to past guests and give them a special offer to return. Retention statistically is significantly better than trying to reach new guests. If you don't already; get a website up and a social presence, and maybe spend a little on Google marketing. I did a bunch of Facebook marketing prior to this and I don't think it gave me much ROI but Google is where people are searching for places and so it may help to increase your visibility. In the end, I think we are all learning that Airbnb like so many companies makes decisions to affect its bottom line. I am curious if this change hurt or helped them financially. While it seems like they could have done allot more homework and had a trial period that might have introduced the categories without scraping what was working so well, we all have suck it up and learn to work with it and become more self sufficient in the process. It is shocking to me that the CEO hasn't made an address to the host community given all of the negative feedback but we most move on for the sake of our own small businesses. I do hope things pick up for you. 

Fiona256
Level 10
Scotland, United Kingdom

Where does one find a community host leader?

Look through the thread of this discussion for Admins and reach out to them directly. They are the only way I have found to actually get some satisfaction. The one I reached was able to get me in the three categories I felt best described my place. Good luck. 

Hello Airbnb,

I just want to let you know how much your team and procedures have put my family and I through a great stress, frustration and sadness lately. In 2019, I was introduced to Hosting by my cohost as I love the concept and meeting people around the world. I’ve been a loyal believer of Airbnb and your customer service. I always defend the brand, telling my guests to book and trust Airbnb and give you exclusivity. We also try our best to let our surroundings know all positive things Airbnb is bringing to the market and the neighbourhood as you don’t hold a very great image here in Quebec on radio and newspapers.

Four entire years of hosting, giving many guests a wonderful experience with my all, zero cancellation in 4 years… All my work don’t even matter to you at all? Just in a blink of an eye, Airbnb just shut me without notice and explanation. The worst part, you also cancelled my upcoming guests reservation at the last minute putting unnecessary stress on them.

I really don’t know what on earth I have done so bad for you to treat me unfairly and unprofessionally like this. You paused my listings while under investigation of a complaint that you could not tell me why. You are accusing me of something that I don’t even know so how can I ever improve?  I suspected that my last guest who was mad that me as I couldn’t host his girlfriend so I collaborated with the safety team and told her my side of story. The agent told me I would have an answer by the end of the week. After 14 days of waiting, I did not have any response and learn by my guests that you cancelled all my future reservations!

The worst part is you are cancelling a guest who was in his airplane on the way to come to my place in a few hours! Why didn’t you cancel the guest 2 weeks ago when the investigation started so the guest could find somewhere else?! It is unprofessional and extremely bad service from Airbnb. Imagine how the guest feel about getting a cancellation notice in the airport on his way to his long term reservation ?! What the guest is thinking of your business now? It’s really hard to find a long term accommodations so your guest support team will have a hard time to relocate the guest and satisfy his needs. As a father, if my daughter or son who was living this situation, I would never forgive Airbnb and find you very untrustworthy and unsafe.

The cancellation occurred late at night and I didn’t even get any notification from you. When the guest contacted me between his flight transfer, I contacted your customer service for help at 2AM. I couldn’t sleep that night as I was very worried. The Superhost support couldn’t do anything for me and told me to open the case and contact me urgently in 24hours. After 48 hours, I didn’t even get any answer from your teams.

Moreover, my guest let me know that they called Airbnb and your customer service said I can’t host him and it was cancelled for security reasons. I could host the guest and my place is safe! You haven’t finished your investigation yet and you are already telling the guest the verdict. Why don’t you just tell me right away that you want to get rid of me? Lucky for me, my guests witnessed the work and love I put in hosting and see that my family and I was no threat. He booked with me via another platform.

This situation just proves me that Airbnb doesn’t care about their superhost and their guests. I’m very disappointed right now. After 4 years of business with you, you just flush me in the toilet without explanation, without warning, without response in a reasonable amount of time. Superhosts really don’t matter to you?

Jenny
Community Manager
Community Manager
Galashiels, United Kingdom

Hi @Rogers5 

I just wanted to let you know that I've passed your details over to the relevant team within Airbnb to get you some help with this.

Someone should be in touch with you once they've reviewed everything.

Jenny

-----

Please follow the Community Guidelines