Commercial use

Marcia822
Level 2
Pittsburgh, PA

Commercial use

I accepted a booking for a young lady that said she really needed a kitchen to cook for her mother’s birthday off site. I had the understanding that it would be for a small group and wanted to be helpful. Later she messaged me stating that she hired a catering team and it would be for 100 people! I have a small kitchen and have had experience cooking for large groups to know she needs a commercial kitchen and the fact that my kitchen is small and has no counter space means that’s not going to work without putting pans of food on my furniture. I called Airbnb to ask them if I can cancel and she said no, try to get her to cancel so I don’t have penalties. So… I recommended some other places like churches for her to use their kitchen and she declined and said she is still using my home. I feel like I want to just take the penalty because I did not agree to commercial use and all of those people in my house. 

4 Replies 4
Marie8425
Level 10
Buckeye, AZ

@Marcia822 

Any chance you have a house rule about  Guests having  Guests?  Just because she is paying  them  they are still unregistered people in    your property so they are her guests.

Yes but the CSR said I’d be penalized because I agreed to book. Now after reading the cancellation fees, I had enough time to cancel with a 10%fee, Now it’s 25%. 

@Marcia822 

If you have a published  house rule that says no  guests then I would just tell Airbnb that you  are requesting  cancellation  because Guest has  expressed   violating that policy.    Don't  confuse them about kitchen use,, just my rules say no guests I  am enforcing my rules.     No  exceptions.

Thank you