Does having security cameras affect bookings?

Does having security cameras affect bookings?

Hi everyone, we are only 5/6 months into Airbnb and I have been reading some comments on security cameras. I am just wondering if there has been any evidence to suggest having security cameras affects bookings. We only have external cameras that were installed recently. Since then there hasn’t been any booking enquires. Will appreciate any feedback. Thanks 

5 Replies 5
Mike-And-Jane0
Top Contributor
England, United Kingdom

@Razaq5 I am sure having security cameras will affect bookings but you will only lose bookings that you really do not want.

Thanks for the feedback. Maybe the lack of enquiries is just coincidental. Will see what happens in the next few weeks.

Me and my husband are frequent guest of airbnb. We go on a monthly basis. Recently I tried looking for a place sort of last minute (2 weeks in advance). Unfortunately, only 2 houses popped up that were available. One was poorly decorated and the other has 3 outdoor cameras that are motion and sound activated. I don't mind 1 camera but 3? Also, it definitely annoyed me that they were sound activated. I really don't want someone listening in on private conversations me and my husband are having while trying to relax. It's extremely intrusive. So based on the availability and the extensive use of cameras it's safe to say people mind, considering it was a super nice place, well priced but not booked.

Hi @Dana1542 

I can understand your prospective. You must choose where you will feel comfortable. However, I want to assure you most hosts do not have time to view video or audio unless there is a problem at the property...trust me on that. Hosts generally only look at cameras to ensure guests gain access to the property easily and determine when guests have checked out and when the cleaning team arrives. The only other time we check cameras is if there is a noise complaint from a neighbor, concern about unregistered guests on the property, or someone brings a pet that was not disclosed when booking. Three cameras is not unusual for larger properties. Most have one overlooking the parking area and one at the front door. If there is an outdoor space like a large deck, some Hosts also have a camera that overlooks that area. If the property is isolated, or in a rural area, cameras are there mostly for security reasons (theft prevention, unauthorized hunters on the property, etc.).

You are correct @Joan2709 , in that host(s) don’t have time to view/listen to external cameras. If and when I do, it is only due to the items you listed above. Our external cameras are only on our primary residence and not the unit itself. The unit sits behind our primary residence and the cameras were installed long before we decided to list our back unit. 

Having external cameras has not impacted our bookings. If I lose a booking due to external cameras, then it’s a good thing. 

Best—