Extra Guest Fees

Answered!
Greis6
Level 1
Toronto, Canada

Extra Guest Fees

Hello!

I have a question regarding the Extra Guest Fee option and was wondering if I could get some guidance.

I'm a new host and have a home listed in Downtown Whitby, ON. My home has 3 bedrooms, 4 beds (1 is a twin/double bunk bed), 1 bathroom, and can sleep 7 people. I'm wondering how to go about guest fees depending on how many there are. The home can sleep 7, but there are requests coming through of 5. In my mind, 7 guests should be paying more than 5. So I was thinking I could set up an extra guest fee after 5 people (for guest 6 and 7).

I spoke with Airbnb and they advised I'd chat to the Community, so we stay within the same price range within the neighbour and community. I don't want to undercharge the competition. 

Would love to hear any thoughts!

Best,

Greis

1 Best Answer
Fred13
Level 10
Placencia, Belize

@Greis6 Even numbers are easier to compute. IF your preferred number of guests is 4, then 1-4 pay the same price, 5th & 6th extra guest fee. While you may allow a 7th person and the place may physically support it, perhaps hosting wise it may be easier on you with just 6 to start with. You only have 1 bathroom.

What I would do to get my foot in the door is offer your place at $199 for first 4, $50 for the 5th & 6th. The bunk beds come into play with kids. See how things go and then start adjusting to what you experience.

Love to see a picture of the actual home, to get a feel for the neighborhood.

Nice place, you will do well because of your approach (willing to ask questions). Good luck.

View Best Answer in original post

4 Replies 4
Dave1298
Level 2
Wilberforce, Canada

Hi there 

we charge $40 more each for extra people as they are using utilities etc. more towels and more bedding as well

Fred13
Level 10
Placencia, Belize

@Greis6 Even numbers are easier to compute. IF your preferred number of guests is 4, then 1-4 pay the same price, 5th & 6th extra guest fee. While you may allow a 7th person and the place may physically support it, perhaps hosting wise it may be easier on you with just 6 to start with. You only have 1 bathroom.

What I would do to get my foot in the door is offer your place at $199 for first 4, $50 for the 5th & 6th. The bunk beds come into play with kids. See how things go and then start adjusting to what you experience.

Love to see a picture of the actual home, to get a feel for the neighborhood.

Nice place, you will do well because of your approach (willing to ask questions). Good luck.

Paula
Community Manager
Community Manager
Port Moody, Canada

Hello @Greis6 and Welcome to our Community,

I was wondering if you have had the chance to review the suggestions provided by our lovely members, and if you are considering implementing any of these strategies.

Please keep us updated.

-----

Please follow the Community Guidelines // Por favor consulta las Normas de la comunidad

Mike-And-Jane0
Level 10
England, United Kingdom

@Greis6 extra guest fees are a pain and, unless you can police them easily, people will lie about guest numbers (sadly).

Best option is to have two listings and reduce the bedroom count in one of them. Then lock the bedroom not being used.