Extra service fees?

Britt953
Level 1
Saco, ME

Extra service fees?

Hi!

I am a newbie host, and I had read a tip somewhere online about how you can offer extra services to guests like doing a customized grocery run for them before they arrive so the fridge is already stocked with what they want, etc. 

I'd be interested in offering this as an option for our guests, and I'm wondering if anyone else out there offers something like this, and if so, do you charge a fee for getting the groceries or doing other special shopping/errands for guests?

Thank you!

10 Replies 10
Fred13
Level 10
Placencia, Belize

We use the 'extra services' fee method for a variety of reasons, since these services are related to but do not fall under lodging per se.

Ahhhh, thank you for sharing that, @Fred13 ! If we do move forward with this kind of service, I will check out the extra services fee method. Much appreciated!

We use it often for our tours actually (fishing, going to other islands, added town runs, etc) and never has Airbnb takes a commission out of it.

That sounds like a great strategy, to offer tours - we have two small children which could make it a challenge for us to do that right now, but it's definitely something we will keep in mind for future years!

Helen3
Level 10
Bristol, United Kingdom

I can't see how you would make money out of a service like this @Britt953 . You wouldn't be able to charge enough to make this worth your while unless you have an incredibly high end property with guests willing to pay silly prices for convenience services.

Why not just recommend local grocery stores who do deliveries and the guests can organise their own deliveries.That's what I do when I go and stay in a self catering venue.

Excellent point, thank you, @Helen3!

Sudsrung0
Level 10
Rawai, Thailand

@Britt953 

In my experience a complete waste of time and effort I didn't make any money out of it and hardly any guest appreciated it,  I also thought it would go down well at the time but when you are running around all morning going to different stores to get it all, 

Even filling up the fridge with a few different things like Bread and Milk I stopped that as there was to much waste.

What I have done is to make a guidebook to a local Supermarket/warehouse which is about 1km from my properties, now I just send that to the guest, they also do home delivery.

All I do now is leave plenty of water and a few soft drinks and a couple of beers in the fridge, 

Thank you, @Sudsrung0 , that's very helpful insight. I like the idea of leaving the fridge stocked with a few beverages and then directing guests to the nearest grocery with delivery options.

Thanks so much for sharing your experience, I really appreciate it!

@Britt953 

Add to that I do leave Tea and Coffee 

Wendy1523
Level 2
North Pole, AK

I have offered the extra shopping services but typically never requested them.

Please keep in mind our unit has a full kitchen and laundry and items are seldom wasted unless they are pitching and I did not know :):

I typically include:

basic pantry items: spices, and sweeteners,  olive oil, and vegetable oil, along with pancake, muffin or cookie mix, pasta/ sauce, canned soup, hot cereal, coffee, coffee pods,  tea, creamers, peanut butter & Jelly.

Toiletries/consumables: Shampoo, Conditioner, Soft Soap, Lotion, paper napkins, paper towels, TP, Tissues, Air fresheners (Under sinks): travel dental kit, feminine products, paper, cups, q-tips, cotton balls, Dishwasher, dish, and laundry soap and dryer sheets. Plastic wrap, bags, foil, parchment paper.

Table Snacks: Granola-type bread, snack-size chocolates,  packaged pastries ( muffins, bread, croissants, fresh fruit.

Fridge: Cream cheese, 6 eggs, bottled water, 2 juice, milk, creamer, butter, and condiments.

Special Occasion ( I will occasionally include, based on availability something)A card, cake, cookies, chocolate-covered strawberries, charcuterie, flowers

Now you may think holy cow, but to me these are conveniences and treats - many flights arrive here 11 pm to 3 am... and we are 15-20 min from town.  They are tired, maybe hungry, it can be very cold and need a snack on arrival or in the morning before stocking up on supplies.  We don't have a lot open after 8 pm for restaurants and most grocery is not 24/7.  And some items are hard to get in small or travel sizes.  I will say VERY seldom to guests decide it's a free for all and obviously take/use everything not nailed own and even then it is more than some but not all.