Guests not leaving feedback

Sarah4537
Level 2
Bidford-on-Avon, United Kingdom

Guests not leaving feedback

Does anyone else have the issue that some guests are not leaving any feedback? It has only just started happening.  I have effusive thanks etc when they are here, then despite me sending a polite request for feedback they don’t do it. I’ve had two in the last three weeks and one who fed back after prompting.

Thank you for any thoughts.

Sarah, UK

12 Replies 12
Pat271
Level 10
Greenville, SC

I think that people, in general, are getting fed up with getting badgered to leave reviews for every little thing they do. The other day, I even got emailed asking me to rate and review my checkout experience at my local supermarket! It’s getting ridiculous, and I think people are just burnt out on reviews and are not bothering to leave them most of the time.

This is very unfortunate for our business, since guests rely heavily on reviews when making their booking decisions. I don’t think the same can be said for guest reliance on reviews of my local supermarket.😣

@Sarah4537  Airbnb already sends the guests several emails/notifications after the stay reminding guests to leave a review. It's really not necessary for the host to pile on too; even if you do it politely,  I agree with @Pat271  that it just feels like getting badgered.

Some guests just don't have the time and inclination to write a review, and the kindest thing you can do is leave them alone.

Gordon0
Level 10
London, United Kingdom

Like you, @Sarah4537, I host in my home, but I haven't suffered the non-reviewer glut you mention. I used to chase but - as @Anonymous and @Pat271 mention - there's a fine line between 'prompting' and badgering.

I think I'm probably in the high 90s of those who review and the only groups who are less likely to comply are the more elderly.

Robin4
Top Contributor
Mount Barker, Australia

@Sarah4537 

Sarah, do you provide a guest book in your listing for guests to leave a comment?

I resisted the temptation to leave a guest book in my rental for a long time and almost every guest left a review. Mind you that was before Covid! As soon as I put in a comments book the rate of reviews fell away significantly. Guest felt they had done their job by putting in a bit of feedback in the guest book and so ignored the prompts to take part in the review process. 

I ended up by putting a sentence in my farewell message at the conclusion of the stay stating, I knew it was a bit of a nuisance but it was in their interests to leave a review because the more reviews they have to their profile, the more it raises their acceptance to future hosts.

That seemed to do the trick, the reviews are still not back to the level they were before I started with the guest book but, they aren't far short of it, so I think I get the best of both worlds!

Cheers.........Rob

Fred13
Level 10
Placencia, Belize

I have never encouraged reviews, nor ever wrote one before the guests does. I have now 202 over 6 years, I think that is enough, translates into a few per month. Nowadays, most start out with - "It has been said before..." or "The past reviews are so accurate...". Always have had a Guest Book however and that one always has been filled and of great entertainment for all guests, we are on our 5th book already. 

I think reviews are great and yes Airbnb depends on them and we are about 50%.  Just not our style, oftentimes the best words are the ones not said, let the imagination do the selling.

Huma0
Level 10
London, United Kingdom

@Robin4 @Fred13 

It's not been my experience at all that a guest book lowers the number of guests that review. In fact, I've noticed that guests who can't be bothered to leave a review definitely cannot be bothered to write something in the guest book.

I'm still on my first book, which was actually a gift from a guest, but getting towards the last few pages. Since I switched to long term guests a while back,  it fills up much slower now, plus I put it away for a while and forgot about it. Also, writing in the guest book is totally optional. Sometimes I mention it casually and sometimes I don't. Guests then choose whether they want to write in it or not. 

Anyway, when I flick through it, I can see that ALL of the guests who wrote in it also left me lovely reviews because they are the type that developed an attachment for the place and made some memories here. 

Interesting observation, that makes sense when I remember of the fact that extra guests do tend to use the guidebook, while the person that actually booked tends to leave the true review. So yes, one may not really be discouraging the other.

Sarah4537
Level 2
Bidford-on-Avon, United Kingdom

Thank you for all your comments. Bizarrely I’ve just had two reviews pop up. It seems I have to chill and let people review late, and just hope it’s a blip. I’ve taken on board the ‘badgering’ comments and agree, that could well be unhelpful😁

Nope.  I prompt.

I entertained all the sound advice about not bothering the guest, etc.  etc.  I understand that some folks might feel daunted by the long, flowery reviews and others would think it redundant, as “what more is there to say?”  and still others don’t think about it at all.  So, I kind of compromised.  Kind of.  If, after 2-3 days, I’ve heard nothing, I text a friendly “thanks again…” and add that I was happy to leave them an excellent review and, if they have a moment I hope they’ll review their stay.  

In the one or 2 instances the first nudge didn’t get results, I waited a few more days and sent something along the lines of @Robin4 ’s line at the end of her farewell.  On both occasions I was thanked for the reminder (sincerely or not 😉), and the review followed.

To me, it’s just good manners.  I agree that it’s pushy- even, perhaps, offensive. 🤷‍♀️  I wanted my A’s inschool, and I want my 5-star reviews, damnit!    

@Marie6762  Did you ask your teachers in school to give you A's?

I'm astonished that I never thought of that trick; I must have foolishly thought everyone just earned them.

Precisely:  I earn it, AirBnb rewards/punishes on the basis of reviews, ergo I want it!
But,as a retired teacher, I do see your point😉

Huma0
Level 10
London, United Kingdom

@Sarah4537 

I understand where you are coming from. In the first couple of years of hosting, I really wanted to build up my reviews. It is important and therefore disappointing when a guest who seemed to have a great time forgot/was too busy to leave a review. So, I did also prompt. I think you just have to do it in a way that isn't overly pushy.

I usually say goodbye to my guests in person, so would casually drop in, "Oh, and please don't forget to leave me a review. I will of course do the same for you!" Or, as I always used to send a message a day or two after they left to check if they got home safely and thank them again for being great guests, I would mention it there.

They have two weeks to leave a review, so I certainly wouldn't chase after 2-3 days to remind them. They are probably busy with other things and often still on their travels. However, if it was a guest I was really expecting a glowing review from and the deadline was getting close, then I might send a gentle reminder in case they weren't aware that the review period was almost up (many guests do not bother reading Airbnb notifications and prompts after the stay). Overall, this seemed to work pretty well.

These days, I don't bother with chasing. I have a lot of reviews already and now only host a limited amount of guests. I find that the ones who were great and who I got on with really well almost always leave a review. Those that were a bit problematic are less likely to leave a review (maybe scared of a negative review from you) but, if they do, those are the ones that might not leave 5*, so I see no reason to prompt them!