How to put value on damages to house we can fix

Kim4257
Level 2
Scituate, MA

How to put value on damages to house we can fix

Guests put 11 nails into our mantle, had wood fire in gas grill,

ripped two slats in blinds, dislodged wall sconce and left it hanging.   I’m annoyed more than anything.  How do I  put a clue on it.  Bad review warning and request for compensation?  

1 Reply 1
Robin4
Level 10
Mount Barker, Australia

@Kim4257 

It does happen from time to time, silly senseless damage.....not something you can get compensated for without ending up with an angry guest and a bad review. 

If you can put the damage right Kim, do it, don't hassle the guest or Airbnb, it won't do you any good in the long run. You have to protect your image for your future business and if you don't hassle the guest they may well give you a good review because they will think they got away with the damage they created.

Just be diplomatic in your review, give a 3 star and under the prompt 'Would you host this guest again' check NO and in the public review say something like, "We do our best to provide our guests with a nice experience and a look at our past reviews shows that in general we succeed. Unfortunately this was not one of our better hostings and although I wish xxxxx all the best for the future I would decline the opportunity to host him again"!

Now by doing that you have well and truly warned other hosts to stay clear but, you have not mentioned anything specific that would allow the guest to have your review removed. All you have stated is your perception of the stay and Airbnb have no option but to allow it to remain! By clicking the you would not host again you have triggered an alert and compromised his future booking options.

All the best Kim.

Cheers........Rob