Listing

Answered!

Listing

I use smart pricing with a range from 130-250 but when I search my listing ad a traveller it is initially priced much higher than other listings in the area and only shows the discounted price when I click the listing. I am concerned this may deter people from choosing our air bnb. Do you have any insight into why this is?  

Top Answer
Kia272
Level 10
Takoma Park, MD

@Kelly2414 Most hosts feel that "smart" pricing isn't all that smart, and therefore don't utilize it. I certainly don't. 

Regardless, keep in mind that AirBnB is going to do what suits AirBnB best, so there are indeed situations in which the way that they show properties in a search may not be in your best interests. Remember, they don't care whose property gets booked, because they make money regardless. 

I think "smart" pricing benefits hosts who would like to stay steadily booked, regardless of how much money they are taking in. There is third party software that is actually a lot smarter than AirBnB's "smart" pricing, and many hosts use that. 

Whatever your choice, just keep in mind that you're better off with more hands-on control of your listing prices, because AirBnB is prioritizing its own best interests above yours. 

View Top Answer in original post

5 Replies 5
Dave-and-Deb0
Level 10
Edmonton, Canada

Hi @Kelly2414 

Welcome to the Airbnb Community Center.  My wife is from the island and we started our first short term rental many years before Airbnb was conceived across the street from Beacon Hill Park.

Anyway, to answer your question, when a guest searches your listing, to ensure that they can compare apples to apples, they are shown the average price per night including your nightly rate, the cleaning fee, taxes and the Airbnb service fee.  This is how it would appear if I searched for November 12-18th.

Airbnb-Victoria-–-Vacation-Rentals-Places-to-Stay-British-Columbia-10-24-2024_01_55_PM.png

As you can see, it shows the average as $175 per night even though your nightly rate is $120 per night and it shows the total as $1047.

Here is a screenshot of when I go into your listing as a guest for a breakdown.

The-Homey-Haven-Guest-suites-for-Rent-in-Victoria-British-Columbia-Canada-Airbnb-10-24-2024_01_58_PM.png

As you can see, the total is still $1047 and if you take it and divide it by the 6 nights, it works out to $174.50 per night which the system rounds to $175 per night. 

This is the same for all listings.  A long time ago, the system was not like this and the customer would think it was $120 per night and then they would be shocked by the amount after seeing the cleaning fee, service fee and taxes.

I hope this helps @Kelly2414 

David

Superhost Ambassador ~ Host Club Community Leader ~ Experienced Co-Host

@Dave-and-Deb0 Thank you very much for the support. Do you have any feedback about my listing that you feel would be helpful to update for a better quest experience? 

Kia272
Level 10
Takoma Park, MD

@Kelly2414 Most hosts feel that "smart" pricing isn't all that smart, and therefore don't utilize it. I certainly don't. 

Regardless, keep in mind that AirBnB is going to do what suits AirBnB best, so there are indeed situations in which the way that they show properties in a search may not be in your best interests. Remember, they don't care whose property gets booked, because they make money regardless. 

I think "smart" pricing benefits hosts who would like to stay steadily booked, regardless of how much money they are taking in. There is third party software that is actually a lot smarter than AirBnB's "smart" pricing, and many hosts use that. 

Whatever your choice, just keep in mind that you're better off with more hands-on control of your listing prices, because AirBnB is prioritizing its own best interests above yours. 

@Kia272 Thank you for the honest answer. I very much appreciate that. I wil be changing the Smart pricing option ASAP. 

Elisa
Community Manager
Community Manager

Hi @Kelly2414 😊

I am glad you have found a hosts to discuss your concerns with!

I would like to share with you a tip to better communicate in the community.

👉Don't forget to mention the Host by typing @ followed by their name so they will know you're replying to them.

Warm regards🌻,

-----

Please follow the Community Guidelines //Merci de jeter un oeil aux Principes du Community Center