New policy camera

New policy camera

As a relatively new Airbnb host who rents rooms in my home, I've found peace of mind in having cameras installed. They not only make me feel safer but also enhance the security for my guests. There have been instances where the cameras have helped me detect and prevent theft, which might have otherwise gone unnoticed.I believe that the presence of cameras encourages better behavior among guests, as they are aware of being monitored. However, I fully respect the importance of privacy and ensure that cameras are never installed in private areas such as bedrooms or bathrooms. Instead, they are positioned in shared spaces like living rooms, kitchens, and hallways.Recently, I reached out to Airbnb to express my concerns about their new policy regarding indoor cameras. Their response indicated that they would reconsider if more hosts shared similar sentiments. I'm confident that by voicing our experiences and concerns collectively, we can prompt Airbnb to take action on this issue.I'll share Airbnb's response to my message for transparency. Let's continue to advocate for the safety and comfort of both hosts and guests within the Airbnb community.

**[Content removed in line with the Community Center Guidelines- Please note that it is not allowed to share Airbnb investigation and private conversations]

25 Replies 25
Holly781
Level 1
Valencia, Spain

Honestly, as both a host and a guest user of airbnb I would feel deeply uncomfortable with staying somewhere that had internal cameras installed anywhere at all. It just would make me feel uncomfortable.

The app and its ecosystem is  largely built on trust, with the review system and the airbnb instance guarantee as your back up if things go wrong. The moment we lose trust, the system is broken I think.

I don’t leave valuables in the home if I am hosting my entire flat, and accept that if the odd book or plate goes walkabout that is the price I pay for the 99% of the wonderful hosting experiences I have that help me pay my mortgage when I’m away for work.

I always think you have to see things as a guest as well as a host, and knowing I was being recorded in a space I would like to think is private (which is anywhere inside the front door) I would be deeply uncomfortable.

so no, I’m afraid I strongly support their policy. If you’re uncomfortable with trusting strangers in your home, it probably isn’t the network for you. 

I only rent rooms in my house, and I have seen people taking stuff from my house that doesn’t belong to them, so I do like to at least who is taking the stuff. Also, it makes me feel safer. I believe people behave in a better when when they see a camera. I have also rented private rooms myself as an Airbnb user, and seeing cameras in those places do not make me feel uncomfortable, adds a sense of Safety to me since I know there are other people in the house. 

I fully understand you don't like  cameras.  Point    1  is  the chance you will ever need a rental  in my location is probably nil, but I should be uncomfortable in my home to insure you are comfortable if by some remote chance you need to                     spend even 1 night in Buckeye.

Point 2 Like I said I have always disclosed.              I am sure their were            people who wanted a room in Buckeye but didn't like my cameras.  I don't know because they are not required to pick my rental.

Point 3 Think like a guest.  If the new Airbnb policy was I could have cameras and not disclose them.  If  the guest arrived saw my cameras that I didn't disclose and Airbnb said too bad   not illegal.  The guest is now financially responsible.  Either leave and give up their money or stay and be uncomfortable.  I would say that is not fair.

Some people just don't like dogs.  I disclose I have Indoor pets.  Is Airbnb going to decide I can't have pets?

Wow! Where do you live! I live in NY. Lol. 

@Jessica3398 , are you referring to having cameras installed in whole homes (the entire home is rented out) or homes in which rooms are rented out but guest(s) share the kitchen, living room etc… and the host(s) lives there?

I understand having cameras in shared spaces where rooms are rented out in one’s own home but disagree in having cameras installed inside whole home listing. 

Best—

I only rent rooms in my house, so I’m referring to shared spaces with my guests. I do not rent the whole house, just private rooms with shared areas. 

Again I think people are regarding this too black and white.  My husband and I were out to an appointment.  My smoke detectors are hard wired and monitored for my safety.  The smoke detector alerted and my husband and ADt were notified.  My cameras are in the kitchen living room area.   My husband accessed a camera, a guest had accidently created smoke cooking. We were able to tell  the fire department false alarm.  Called the guest to make sure he was monitoring his cooking.

Kia272
Level 10
Takoma Park, MD

@Jessica3398  The bigger issue here is that support ambassadors will tell you almost anything to make you go away, but I don't believe that AirBnB will ever reconsider this decision. They are sending you down a road that will somewhat appease you, but nothing will be changed or done. 

I understand that, but they cannot ignore thousands of people. Many will leave the platform. If everyone speaks out their disagreement, they will have to do something about it. 

Marie8425
Level 10
Buckeye, AZ

I have submitted in writing to Airbnb my di slike of the policy.

All my cameras were fully disclosed and no guest who hada discomfort was forced to submit a request.

I have interior and exterior cameras for me nothing to do with guests.

I am disabled and wheelchair confined.

The exterior cameras are because looking out a window is not an option.  Mt dogs don't bark unless someone is  on my property..  Usually just a delivery person or my bug company  but I want to know.

I have not hidden interior cameras that record in my main living area.  Thee cameras point towards my desk in the living room.  My husband works and I choose to not have a babysitter, my  husband can access the camera and check I  haven't had a fall or something.

.I  am not Holiday Inn.  I  am renting  out rooms in  my private residence,      If I am not doing something illegal or forcing someone to accept my decisions.  I am not comfortable with Airbnb deciding what I can do in my private residence especially when their stand when there is an issue is we are just the platform.         

I have expressed to them that for my case the policy is discrimination.

What will they decide for the house  that is my financial responsibility?                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                 

@Marie8425  It's not discrimination.  Discrimination means that AirBnB has singled you out for treatment that is different from how they are treating others. This is an across the board policy that applies to everyone. 

You are perfectly free to rent rooms in your home using a number of different methods to secure renters. If you don't like AirBnB's policies, you don't have to use their platform. 

Pretty simple. 

I believe we all have the right to voice out our concerns and Airbnb might change their mind about this policy if enough people voice out their disagreement to the new camera policy. 

Discrimination is when I do something legal for my safety and though it does not harm Airbnb or the Guest, it is decided I can not participante on Airbnb.  That is discrimination. 

Incorrect