New policy camera

New policy camera

As a relatively new Airbnb host who rents rooms in my home, I've found peace of mind in having cameras installed. They not only make me feel safer but also enhance the security for my guests. There have been instances where the cameras have helped me detect and prevent theft, which might have otherwise gone unnoticed.I believe that the presence of cameras encourages better behavior among guests, as they are aware of being monitored. However, I fully respect the importance of privacy and ensure that cameras are never installed in private areas such as bedrooms or bathrooms. Instead, they are positioned in shared spaces like living rooms, kitchens, and hallways.Recently, I reached out to Airbnb to express my concerns about their new policy regarding indoor cameras. Their response indicated that they would reconsider if more hosts shared similar sentiments. I'm confident that by voicing our experiences and concerns collectively, we can prompt Airbnb to take action on this issue.I'll share Airbnb's response to my message for transparency. Let's continue to advocate for the safety and comfort of both hosts and guests within the Airbnb community.

**[Content removed in line with the Community Center Guidelines- Please note that it is not allowed to share Airbnb investigation and private conversations]

25 Replies 25

Discrimination is a policy that prevents equal use  of the platform. Disability is not a chorice but I do many things as possible to be able to participante i n life.  It would not be fair of me to tell someone  you have to rent from me because   I am disabled.  It is not fair for Airbnb to say I can't rent rooms to anyone because my accomodations make them uncomfortable.  I    don't have any cameras in the sections my guest rooms are, if they don't come in the main room they are only recorded outside.  The interior cameras for me are to allow  me to be safe and comfortable in my private residence.  None of my guest have ever commented or complained.  Why can I not rent rooms on Airbnb then?

@Marie8425 The policy for shared homes might be daft, and hopefully it will be revisited, but the one that it is not is discriminatory. To answer your last question: You cannot (post June 6) rent rooms on Airbnb because you choose not to comply with their policies. This is your right and if all shared home follow suit then it might encourage Airbnb to revisit the rules.

I am sorry but any policy    that is harmful to someone for reasons of comfort for another not protection of another is discriminatory.  It is harmful for me to not have an interior camera for my safety regardless of whether I rent rooms or not,  The fact that I have a camera in my kitchen, that I make known so Guests have the right to say yes or no.  The fact that no harm has come to any guests in my two years hosting on Airbnb.  Results in the fact that it is discrimination to tell me go to another platform you do not have a free choice.

I do not have a problem disclosing so a Guest can choose.  I do have a problem with my equal right to choose what I am offering being taken away.  

"Discrimination is a policy that prevents equal use  of the platform."

Once again, incorrect. 

Sorry I am replying so late but I am just seeing this.  @Marie8425 is correct.  It is LEGAL discrimination.  Marie is in a protected class under ADA, American with Disabilities Act, due to her disability.  The cameras are necessary to overcome the disability and Airbnb's policy discriminates against her ability to use the platform.  My understanding is that she was given a personal exemption by AirBnB.

Yes Airbnb gave me a written exemption  for the two cameras in  my main living area because yes  my  cameras monitor me,

Which   speaks to   the fact that everyone has their cameras for their unique reasons.

I, personally think if energy was focused on one reason  rather than our opinions of many reasons, you  would actually have an Arbitration winning  argument

Airbnb  new rule is to  "Protect Guest Privacy".

That implies to the Guest they have"priivaaacy" to  be  "Protected".

Not  necessarily true if you  use   my   hallway to go to your room, my husband or another guest  may enter the hallullo  at the  same time with  no  announcement..

So  what   "Privacy" is being "Protected""?

Robin4
Level 10
Mount Barker, Australia

@Jessica3398 

It takes a special type of person to be a short term rental host! While 97% of people around the world strive to find ways of keeping strangers out of their properties, we hosts actually invite strangers in!

My feeling is, if you are paranoid that every guest who steps over your threshold is a potential thief and needs to be constantly monitored, then hosting is not for you. You have to trust not just the guests but your own judgement in who you select to share your property with.

In over 850 guest stays there is less than a handful I would not welcome back here again.....and I don't have any cameras, internal or external!

Once a guest pays to enter your property they have an expectation of absolute privacy, and if that is a problem for you......then find another way to make a buck!

You say you respect guests privacy but you have cameras in common areas, living rooms, kitchens, hallways.....really! I know friends who sleep uncluttered by nighttime clothing. Is it a requirement that they travel with a nightgown and keep it on hand in case they want to visit the kitchen for a glass of water in the middle of the night??

No guest wants to be spied on and no matter where you position an internal camera you are compromising a guests enjoyment to that property.

I am not a thief, I have never knowingly stolen anything in my life, I am not an exhibitionist, I am not into secret relationships or undeclared parties.......but there is no way I would ever book an Airbnb property with cameras......and if I arrived to find a camera, disclosed or not, I would leave immediately and require a refund. 

If you can't trust your guests, you don't belong in the hosting community!

Cheers.........Rob

@Robin4 

I respect your opinion.  If a guest arrived and was uncomfortable and asked for a refund, I, personally, would approve that request.  I would assist the guest in correcting a simple mistake of I didn't notice your disclosures.   I would ask that my  decision to have cameras inside just be respected in return  I have not been aware that a guests right to make their own decision as been removed.  I don't think my right to make a conscious decision should be removed.  

You are personalizing / blanket treating the subject.

People may have MANY reasons to have security cameras... for example my concern is to monitor the property when it is NOT occupied.  It should be up to us to determine what we need, disclose it and accept the risk that we may lose bookings due to renter comfort or confidence.

One size doe NOT all fit!

I agree  mine have nothing to do with  guests.  They are exempt by airbnb because it is because I am disabled.

Airbnb  has publicly stated the rule is for a guests "Privacy Protection"..  In   my yard my shared kitchen  or my shared hallway which  I  am required to disclose to   my   guests   as  non  private  areas and  who is  my  limited public   family ,,,roommates   or other guests

If I  disclose a non private area buttt   Airbnb promises  ""Priacyy  Protection" in  my  hallway  then just  because they can a guest  will  complain  someone was in the hallway invading the  Privacy  Protected.

A person  seeing me inn the  hallway   naked is the same  as a  camera  seeing me.