Pet Fees

Answered!
Rhonda361
Level 2
Boones Mill, VA

Pet Fees

Does anyone have any suggestions on how to ensure that my guests know there is a pet fee.  It's in the welcome guide and when they book it's there to choose how many pets they are bringing.

It is not spread out amongst the nights, because some of my bookings list their pet and pay the fee.  Some are missing it and it is not apparent to them.

I also noticed when searching for pet friendly airbnb's on google, it is not apparent that there are pet fees associated with booking a property.

We have had multiple bookings that have not listed their pets, showed up with them and did not pay the pet fee. Even though the pet fee is mentioned in the house manual/arrival guide.

I don't want to continue approaching guests about not paying the pet fee. I take the risk of them giving a bad review to me when I have to go after them to collect the pet fee.

Any thoughts or suggestions.  I have contacted Airbnb and left feedback. Thank you!

1 Best Answer

Hi @Rhonda361 

Love your property!  The pet fee is automatically charged by Airbnb if the guests indicates "Pets" on the reservation. The fee is automatically included in the price per night. Airbnb used to show the Pet Fee separately, but now they include it in the nightly rate. You can see on the reservation details if the guest has indicated pets or not. Most likely, the guests showing up with pets did not add pets to their original reservation. Your pet fee does seem a bit low...$25? Also, you might consider limiting pets to dogs only. One Host had a guest show up with a pet chicken and let it wander all over her house leaving droppings everywhere 😲

Joan2709_0-1718551946221.png

For our properties that allow pets, we do several things to prevent guests not listing pets on a reservation and simply showing up with them:

Add to your Addl House Rules No Undisclosed Pets. Something like:

"Pets: We welcome your well-behaved furry friends! All pets must be listed on the reservation when booking. The Pet Fee is $XX and is non-refundable. Fee for undisclosed pets is $150/per pet per night."  We then list our pet policies:

• Pets must be listed on reservation when booking
  • Limit of 2 (adult dogs only); no puppies
  • Must be housebroken
  • No pets upstairs and/or on beds
  • Please bring your pet towels (for wiping paws) and their pet beds/crate
  • On leash outside at all times as property not fully fenced and wildlife in the area/local ordinance restrictions
  • Pets may not be left alone in home; includes screened porch, or outside (even if in a crate)
  • Pick up all pet poo
  • Pet fee is non-refundable

We also add info to our Welcome message after booking about pets:

If Bringing Pets

We're happy to welcome your well-behaved furry friends! Below are our Pet Policies and some safety information:

Our Pet Policies

• Must be housebroken
  • On leash outside at all times as property not fully fenced and wildlife in the area/local ordinance restrictions
  • Pets may not be left alone in home; includes screened porch, or outside (even if in a crate)
  • Pick up all pet poo

View Best Answer in original post

4 Replies 4

Hi @Rhonda361 

Love your property!  The pet fee is automatically charged by Airbnb if the guests indicates "Pets" on the reservation. The fee is automatically included in the price per night. Airbnb used to show the Pet Fee separately, but now they include it in the nightly rate. You can see on the reservation details if the guest has indicated pets or not. Most likely, the guests showing up with pets did not add pets to their original reservation. Your pet fee does seem a bit low...$25? Also, you might consider limiting pets to dogs only. One Host had a guest show up with a pet chicken and let it wander all over her house leaving droppings everywhere 😲

Joan2709_0-1718551946221.png

For our properties that allow pets, we do several things to prevent guests not listing pets on a reservation and simply showing up with them:

Add to your Addl House Rules No Undisclosed Pets. Something like:

"Pets: We welcome your well-behaved furry friends! All pets must be listed on the reservation when booking. The Pet Fee is $XX and is non-refundable. Fee for undisclosed pets is $150/per pet per night."  We then list our pet policies:

• Must be housebroken
  • Pick up all pet poo

We also add info to our Welcome message after booking about pets:

If Bringing Pets

We're happy to welcome your well-behaved furry friends! Below are our Pet Policies and some safety information:

Our Pet Policies

• Must be housebroken
  • Pick up all pet poo

Wow!  This is great information.  I'll get to work updating my listing.  

Yes, I have wondered about someone showing up with anything but a dog.  Never thought of a pet chicken showing up, oh dear!  I will update that as well.

Thanks again! 

I may have some more questions later.

Marie8425
Level 10
Buckeye, AZ

@Rhonda361 

@Rhonda361 

I don't have the magic answer of how to make people read directions, but if you think about it it isn't an airbnb problem.  People are even on the news they jumped in the bear cage even though the zoo is very clear don't do that.  Haha

I as  soon as someone books  or requests to book send a pleasant message to the guest,

Hello, Thank you.

Just want to make sure you noted location.  (I am a small town in Arizona about an hour away from Phoenix but I don't mention that up to the guest to decide).

In case of allergies I do smoke cigarettes and have pets,

Also you did note that check in  by 7pm and I do ask to see a legal ID for all guests named on the reservation.

Thank you

I have had a few guest just quietly remove their request Haha

You know what you being transparent like that and letting them know the truth up front, if they can't handle small rules or boundaries then let them withdraw their request,!!  That way they eliminated themselves for me hahaha!! I do the same thing I don't care! It's good that you see legal I d. And make them list the exact people that will be staying because there is A LOT of human trafficking going thru air BNB.  I live in Seattle, and it's been ridiculous!!