Pool heat adding fee

John159
Level 2
Los Angeles, CA

Pool heat adding fee

Hello, I received my first guest today & it's unusually chilly for Palm Springs in May.They are requesting pool heat, which is expensive to run, it was not requested in their reservation but obviously I want them to be comfortable & have an enjoyable experience.How do I bill them for pool heat if they do ask for it to be heated? The guests have already checked in.Thank you
39 Replies 39

Gas pumps are where it's at if you have the option. They generally increase the water 2 degrees per hour where an electric pump would increase the water 1 degree per hour. The electric pumps do not operate under 50 degree weather either. We charge $40-$60 depending on the size of the pool per day and require a 1 week minimum purchase to offset the cost of the heater. We also install lockable panels on our pumps so we can control the heaters remotely and do not have to worry about the guests over using or abusing the systems. I get more positive then negative out of the pool heater fees. 

I am responding in January 2023. We just received our gas bill which TRIPLED to almost $2000 due to the enormous increases in the cost of natural gas. We were charging $50 a night with a cap of $300, but we just raised it to $65 a night with no cap. Does anyone else have some recent input?

I charge $100 for running 12 hours at night when also most heat loss takes place and elec. rates are cheaper.  They are trying to raise gas prices also I received a notice just recently.

@Clara-And-Stewart0 @David9730 Does anyone know if local and lodging taxes should be collected on the pool heater fee?  Currently, I charge $65 per day in Gulf Shores, AL.

Depends on your local and state taxing authority. The rule for us in Volusia County FL says ‘mandatory fees’ must be taxed, mandatory meaning they have to pay it to stay in the property. Dog fee and cleaning fee being prime examples. As for pool heat here, it’s not a mandatory charge,  so I’d not tax that. @Alex-and-Susan1 

Palm Springs host as well, and my pool heating skyrocketed in Jan 2023. I used to build the cost of heating into my nightly rental price in winter months, but I think it's going to be better to bill separately from now on.

I wish Airbnb could have pool heating as an add-on feature so guests don't have the unpleasant request for additional pay after they check out. 

@Clara-And-Stewart0 How do you give them access? We put a lock on the heated so they cannot turn it on. But am wondering how to give them access when they pay if you give them the code or not because what if they leave it on. 

Pentair Intellitouch.  Control your heater remotely from your phone 

Denise6
Level 2
Altamonte Springs, FL

Hi @Rorry0 

I am getting an electric pool heateror pool heat pump this fall.  I have heard of the wifi versions as you mentioned.   Would you mind letting me know what 2024 daily rate works or how you charge your guests?  Thank you, Denise

Hi @Denise6 ,  here is part of what is in our rental agreement regarding pool heating:

"Guest understands that swimming pool may be heated upon request. Pool water temperatures in the summer hover around 80 degrees. In the months of May through August the pool may be heated to 85 degrees for a fee of $100 per day with a 2-day minimum. The fee to heat the pool to 80 degrees in the months of Sept-April is $150 per day with a 2-day minimum.  If desired, we charge $10 per degree per day for every degree above 80."

Hope this helps.