Separate charges for couples?

Answered!

Separate charges for couples?

I’ve just started my BnB and already have realised the cost difference for couples. I provide a ‘European’ style continental breakfast with a variety of cheeses, meats and breads in addition to the usual fruit, yoghurt, muesli, etc. I’ve just had two guests (lovey people) one of whom is Coeliac, and the cost of providing the breakfast is just about half their total fee ( including cleaning fee).

Which makes me wonder if there is a way to charge more when it’s a couple as opposed to a single given the additional cost in food?? 

1 Best Answer
Helen0
Level 10
Manchester, United Kingdom

I agree with other comments that you could probably streamline your breakfast offerings to make it more cost-effective. For example I only offer tea/coffee/juice, cereals (long shelf life), bread for toast plus butter, marmalade etc which doesn't need replacing too often. No fresh fruit or yoghurt as there would be too much wastage. Approximately 50% of my guests don't even touch the breakfast or at most have a quick coffee - and nobody has ever commented negatively, in fact reviews often express appreciation that it's offered at all. 

I would really look into the specifics of what other hosts/businesses are offering locally so you can provide something good without bankrupting yourself. For example I have had rave reviews over something as simple as offering home-made granola and home-made jam. If that's not really your thing, maybe you could source something like local honey or some really nice bread from a  local bakery so it's special but not too expensive?

I would definitely only provide 'specials' like gluten-free bread or non-dairy milk if people ask for it in advance - but I'm curious why this proved so expensive for you? I'm in the UK so maybe it's something about where you are in Australia.... but I could get these groceries for only slightly more than the regular kind. If it's about waste - e.g. buying a whole loaf when the guest is only going to eat a few slices, why not keep supplies in the freezer and just offer a portion-sized amount each day?

You could add an option to pay extra for a full-on breakfast above and beyond your standard. You would have to agree this from the start and do an amendment to the booking. Or take cash at the property.
You could also add a charge per extra person over 1 in the general booking settings if you really want to. 

Whatever you decide, make it really clear what you offer in your listing and include a beautiful photo of your breakfast offering! Flaunt it! (And yes, check the food safety regulations in your area but don't panic, you're not in litigation-obsessed USA!)  

View Best Answer in original post

10 Replies 10
Helen3
Level 10
Bristol, United Kingdom

Why don't you charge extra for breakfast @Ann36515 

@Helen3 I don't think there is an option to do this is there? If not it will be a never ending claims through the resolution centre nightmare.

Yes you can state in your listing that you offer breakfast as an additional extra at £8 per person or whatever . 

host can then create a special offer to include . 

Kia272
Level 10
Takoma Park, MD

@Ann36515  Why on earth are you providing such an extensive breakfast free of charge? Even though it's called AirBnB, most guests are not expecting breakfast, certainly not what you're providing, which seems excessive. A "variety" of meats, cheeses and breads" in addition to other stuff? 

An AirBnB is a business. Charge appropriately for what you're providing. If breakfast costs half of your nightly rate (including the cleaning fee), then something is wrong with what your nightly rate and also what you're spending on breakfast. If this is how you want to run your AirBnB, then charge appropriately, but you may find yourself at higher than the local rate, simply because you're charging more for extras. 

They are guests. They are not your family or friends. They are not bringing YOU free food, nor are they bringing you a bottle of wine for YOUR birthday.  

Thanks Kia!! Yes, I will certainly be cutting back on the amount 😊 though still providing breakfast, which is pretty standard practice in Australia. And I’ll also investigate charging an additional small amount for more than one person. 

Mike-And-Jane0
Level 10
England, United Kingdom

@Ann36515 you can make your nightly rate apply to one person and charge an additional fee for every person after 1.

Tania646
Level 2
Worcester, MA

I would reiterate what others have said here.

o Strongly consider not providing breakfast.

o If you decide to provide breakfast, consider:

-- Asking ahead of time about vegetarian, allergies and food sensitivities, and provide sample menu of what you provide

-- Charging extra after 1st guest

-- Charging separately for breakfast

o Check local laws on whether you're permitted to offer foods without health/safety inspections. In general, what you're doing would be illegal activity in many if not most U.S. states or counties.

o Check with your insurer on whether they would insure you for incidents arising out of this

o If providing those breakfasts is illegal, I wonder whether you would be covered by AirCover for claims arising out of illegal activity by the Host.

I know it sounds 'nefarious' to use the phrase 'illegal activity' but it just might be.  If a claim arises you'll be called worse.  If it's illegal and the guest raises that with Airbnb expect for your listing to be suspended or worse.

I understand that you're just trying to be a wonderful  Host but I urge you to do your homework before continuing to provide or even offer breakfasts or any food.  [Here exceptions sometimes apply to shelf-stable pre-packaged foods.]

Thanks Tania. All good advice. Most BnB places in Australia offer a breakfast- even if it’s basic. So in offering a ‘European style’ continental breakfast I’m  trying to differentiate myself from other places nearby(and there is a lot!). But the level of catering will be reduced- all experience!! 😊   I do specifically ask about allergies etc and it’s not too hard to cater for that though sometimes there is an additional cost. And it’s only more problematic with insurance if you’re cooking for people- which I’m not!! Thanks again for your detailed response 

would you like to give me review?

Helen0
Level 10
Manchester, United Kingdom

I agree with other comments that you could probably streamline your breakfast offerings to make it more cost-effective. For example I only offer tea/coffee/juice, cereals (long shelf life), bread for toast plus butter, marmalade etc which doesn't need replacing too often. No fresh fruit or yoghurt as there would be too much wastage. Approximately 50% of my guests don't even touch the breakfast or at most have a quick coffee - and nobody has ever commented negatively, in fact reviews often express appreciation that it's offered at all. 

I would really look into the specifics of what other hosts/businesses are offering locally so you can provide something good without bankrupting yourself. For example I have had rave reviews over something as simple as offering home-made granola and home-made jam. If that's not really your thing, maybe you could source something like local honey or some really nice bread from a  local bakery so it's special but not too expensive?

I would definitely only provide 'specials' like gluten-free bread or non-dairy milk if people ask for it in advance - but I'm curious why this proved so expensive for you? I'm in the UK so maybe it's something about where you are in Australia.... but I could get these groceries for only slightly more than the regular kind. If it's about waste - e.g. buying a whole loaf when the guest is only going to eat a few slices, why not keep supplies in the freezer and just offer a portion-sized amount each day?

You could add an option to pay extra for a full-on breakfast above and beyond your standard. You would have to agree this from the start and do an amendment to the booking. Or take cash at the property.
You could also add a charge per extra person over 1 in the general booking settings if you really want to. 

Whatever you decide, make it really clear what you offer in your listing and include a beautiful photo of your breakfast offering! Flaunt it! (And yes, check the food safety regulations in your area but don't panic, you're not in litigation-obsessed USA!)