Tip of the week 1: The key to good communication

Quincy
Community Manager
Community Manager
London, United Kingdom

Tip of the week 1: The key to good communication

Let's kick off the Tip of the Week series with an important topic: Communication with guests. It's a valuable insight that can greatly help many first-time Hosts on their journey to becoming exceptional Hosts. Effective communication is key, and we're here to provide all the practical tips you need!

The following tip was shared by Superhost @Tuğkan-Berke0  in Easy Tips for Providing Exceptional Hospitality:

"Communicate Clearly and Promptly: Good communication is key to being a great Airbnb host. Respond to guest inquiries and messages promptly and clearly. Provide guests with all the information they need to make their stay as smooth as possible ". 

On this thread, we invite you to share your valuable tips on ensuring seamless communication with your guests.

Tell us your secrets to making guests feel that communication with you is smooth, how you make your guests feel at ease knowing that you’re readily available for any concerns., what information is important to share with them, do you do this before the stay or during the stay, do you send regular check-in messages? 

We’re excited to hear and learn from you all. Let's gather the best practices for communicating clearly and promptly with our guests and don’t forget to give a thumbs up👍 to the best tips shared. 😊

👉 TOTW series

-----

Please follow the Community Guidelines // Volg de communityrichtlijnen

45 Replies 45
Quincy
Community Manager
Community Manager
London, United Kingdom

Hi @Pamela1265, thanks for your reply! Do you happen to make use of automated messages, or do you send them out yourself? 🙂

-----

Aloha, I use the quick responses and send some personal ones as well. 

Marnie64
Level 2
Lewistown, IL

I respond to guests booking our tiny cabin within a few minutes of receiving it to thank them, offer to answer any questions they may have, and let them know I will send directions a few days prior to their arrival. If I am at work and am unavailable to respond within a few minutes, my husband does so for me. We believe that positive personalized,  and timely communication are key to gaining the respect of our guests. 

Our cabin is located in the middle of a wooded area of our farm and is partially off-grid so my husband and I greet guests upon arrival, assist them to transport their belongings with our utv, and then review the ins and outs of the cabin, and our private hiking trails and vegetable garden for guest use. Our guests have been very appreciative of us reviewing the information with them. We also have a guest welcome book that includes much of the information we review as well. We also remind guests that we are always available in-person or they can message us with any questions they may have throughout their stay. By setting this standard for clear communication with our guests, it seems they respond more quickly if we message them with a question. However, we do limit messaging guests when they arrive as much as possible to give them privacy and a break from their phones.

When guests are ready to leave, we assist them to transport their belongings back to their vehicle. It also gives us the opportunity to ask the guests how their stay was and if they have any suggestions for improvement. We also provide a brief questionnaire we ask guests to share their feedback on. We have gathered so many wonderful ideas on what we could add or change to our tiny house to make it more comfortable and enjoyable for our guests. It has been a great resource. 

Quincy
Community Manager
Community Manager
London, United Kingdom

That sounds lovely @Marnie64! What's the feedback from the questionnaire like if I may ask? 🙂

-----

The feedback has been very positive. We enjoy learning specifically what the guests liked best about their stay. The suggestions for amenities to add tobour tiny cabin have helped us tremendously and gave us ideas we otherwise would not have considered.

We have been hosting for over a year now but feel there is always room to grow and improve. 

@Marnie64 I like how you accommodate the location and circumstances of your property by greeting them. I’m sure they appreciate it.

Sangeeta8
Level 9
New Delhi, India

I start a dialogue before they checkin, gets easier,nevery which way from them onwards!

Quincy
Community Manager
Community Manager
London, United Kingdom

Hiya @Sangeeta8! What are the questions you usually ask? 

-----

After welcoming them.

What brings them here? My coordinates along with the location pin,photo of the exterior of the flat with the number plate showing. Any questions here?

How can I help? A wish list of their to do list and where I could help?

Houserules are clear? A voice note to the housekeeper to see if communication is ok or should it me via me?

Any specific shopping in advance depending on the time they arrive? Have they downloaded the Ola/Uber and Blusmart Apps. Exact location description. If it their first trip to my area? Suggest Apps to download for provisions...and so on..til they feel that I am really interested in knowing them...list goes on as and when I hear more from there and so on...

Patricia2526
Top Contributor
Manila, Philippines

Hello @Quincy  & fellow hosts

Great communication is the key. Always communicate with purpose with our guests . Do not assume. Our guests just like us host are not mindreaders. Airbnb has put to your disposal as a host All tools and features to ensure that your guests are well informed of the standard of service we are offering.  I use scheduled messages and personalised messages as well.

Thanking your guest for choosing your Airbnb listing.
Intiroduce yourself as their host.

Express your excitement about having them stay.

Send Check-in details

Send your House rules, and other additional information.

Send your check out instructions

Thank them for staying with you. 

Ask for post stay feedback.

Golden Rule: Respond promptly when you receive a message from guest, respond to it as soon as possible. The faster you respond, the more likely they will feel comfortable and they will feel  their host is proactive.

Guests  ask questions for a reason and they want answers. So while you always want to build rapport and have a professional, friendly conversation.

Quincy
Community Manager
Community Manager
London, United Kingdom

I love that checklist @Patricia2526!  

Do the guests tend to reply to your message swiftly? 🙂

-----

Patricia2526
Top Contributor
Manila, Philippines

Oh yes!!! 

@Patricia2526 , 

I do all of the above as well.  Thank you for sharing!.

Ruan36
Level 2
Playa Zancudo, Costa Rica

Hi @Patricia2526 , I am a sesoned host now and i must these guidelines are excellent. After reading i am prouud to know that do exactly that. Thanks for sharing. this is great. 

Patricia2526
Top Contributor
Manila, Philippines

Hello @Ruan36

Thank you for your kind words. Happy to share 💕