Unexplained 38% monthly discount

Answered!
Nordia0
Level 2
Sister Islands, Cayman Islands

Unexplained 38% monthly discount

So a guest booked one of our spaces and instead of getting the usual 10% monthly discount, he got a 38% discount. I contacted Airbnb almost a week ago and they still have not been able to find where this apparent glitch occurred or remove it. My settings  still say 10%. 

Anyone has a similar experience? Any ideas?

1 Best Answer

I can't edit the remarks in my comment above but I can correct it here.
AirBnb phone support helped me out with this.
What was going on in our case was there were some old "Custom Monthly Prices" on the listing 

Unfortunately, these are hidden out of view on the Pricing and availability page.

To see them, you first have to click on the Edit link next to Monthly Discount.
Then, beneath the Tip suggestion for the discount in your area, there is a link labeled

Set a custom price for a specific month

Click on that and there are the custom prices.

I must have set these up during Covid when there were not many short term bookings. Probably better to avoid this feature and just use the monthly discount percent (if that!)

Prices have gone up so much in our area that these custom prices were WAY off.  

Also, don't forget to click the black SAVE button below after you make the edit. We kept erasing the discount and it would be back again because we didn't see the Save button down on the next screen. 

View Best Answer in original post

31 Replies 31
Rosalinda34
Level 1
Comanche, TX

The same thing is happening to us. I will be  contacting them immediately. 

LaCooVs0
Level 3
Kirkland, WA

We just had this same issue, we have been hosts 8 years and have 5 properties on the app.

When we started out fixed monthly discounts where not an option.

We just got a 31 night booking that should have been $14,500 and the guest received a discount of $10,000 bringing it down to $4,500

Airbnb customer service is horrible, no one knows anything and they barely speak English now when I am calling from the US. I had to escalate several times and airbnb tried to blame the fact that we have a cleaning website connected to our calendar through API. They are claiming this gave them the ability to change our pricing... crazy!

after digging through forums and reading up I finally found the hidden discount. you can only see it view web browser when logged in from a computer. under pricing and availability, click monthly discount and when on the desktop it opened all these discounts bringing the price to $4500 for the entire month. We never set these discounts, we think some how when the feature was added this auto populated as it was on all of our listings. 

We deleted that discount and set a maximum stay length of 28 days. for stays longer than that we are now requiring approval so that something like this does not slip through the cracks again.