Very unfair criteria for getting Guest Favorite Badge

Inger15
Level 1
kbh, Denmark

Very unfair criteria for getting Guest Favorite Badge

I don’t know if others have had this kind of thoughts regarding this badge, but as a dedicated host with 9 years of experience, 164 reviews, and a consistent 4.88 rating, I’m concerned about the criteria for the "Guest Favorite" badge. Despite being a Superhost for nearly the entire duration, I don't qualify for the badge due to not meeting the 4.9 rating threshold. It seems unfair that hosts with far fewer reviews can achieve this recognition more easily. I believe the evaluation should consider the longevity and consistency of hosts like myself. 

If it had only been over the past year as the superhost badge is, I would have had an average rating of 5.0 and therefore I do not understand their ratings. I hope Airbnb reconsiders this policy to reflect the true dedication of long-term hosts.

Don’t you think this is strange?

Thanks

i ger

7 Replies 7
Marie8425
Top Contributor
Buckeye, AZ

@Inger15 

I think Guests Favorite is based on something else.

I have a Guest Favorite Badge on this listing with 4.8 

Room in Buckeye, Arizona
  1. 1 bed
  2. · Shared bathroom

Guest favorite

One of the most loved homes on Airbnb, according to guests
Rated 4.80 out of 5 stars.

5 reviews
Reviews
What are Guest Favorites?

Guest Favorites are 2 million of the most-loved homes on Airbnb, according to guests. 

Guest Favorites are based on ratings, reviews, and reliability data from over half a billion trips. Guest Favorites are updated every day, so if your listing isn’t included now, it could be soon. 

A variety of factors help identify Guest Favorites, including:

• At least five reviews from guests
  • Excellent reviews and ratings above 4.9 stars on average
  • High marks from guest reviews for check-in, cleanliness, accuracy, Host communication, location, and value
  • Superb record of reliability, with Host cancellations and quality-related customer service issues of 1% on average

It says 4.9 on average with the other factors not 4.9 earns you favorite

I called airbnb support and they specifically told me that it was due to the fact that over my 164 reviews my average was only 4.88 and not 4.9. I have read their description of the criterias and the supporter (who also contacted his supervisor during our talk) told me that in all other respects I would qualify for being a gueat favourite. In the area where I have my listing there is another listing (not mine) being a guest favourite with only five reviews and a presence of less than a year on the market. I find this strange. 

Mike-And-Jane0
Top Contributor
England, United Kingdom

@Inger15 I very much doubt airbnb support has any more knowledge on the subject that @Marie8425 has. There is no doubt that many Guest Favourites have ratings lower than 4.9 and the whole average thing described by Marie just shows that Airbnb's computer can make any listing a Guest Favourite if it chooses to do so. As such I am afraid you will just have to accept that the computer at Airbnb doesn't like you - Sorry.

@Mike-And-Jane0 @Inger15 

I agree I haven't a clue because I have 4 listings.  I pulled that off one listing that even out of just my 4, I would not say is the guest favorite.

@Inger15 @Mike-And-Jane0 

Just a thought Inger15 mentioned a newer listing in her market having the badge.  Out of my 4 listings, one of the reasons I wouldn't of thought of that listing as a favorite, is that it was the 3rd listing I added I think this year as opposed to 2 other listing that are over 2 years old.

Forgot to mention that I also have 0 cancellations and 100% answer rate as well as all 5* rating for the entire 2024

Ann42660
Level 2
Seattle, WA

Hi there.  I also think guest favorite  has to do with consistency of ratings and the algorithm picks this up.  So if you have a range of ratings, that might hurt you.

I think this because a friend went to book a place and Airbnb called out the inconsistency of ratings.  When she read reviews more closely, one person complained and the next raved. 

I'm a new host and surprisingly got the Guest Favorite  badge (thrilled and surprised).  It says something like "Top 5% of listings" so it might also have to do with where you rank against others globally or in. your market?

I'm not sure what you can do about it though.