What's your preferred check-in system and style?

Bhumika
Community Manager
Community Manager
Toronto, Canada

What's your preferred check-in system and style?

Guest arrival and Check-InGuest arrival and Check-In

Hi Everyone! 

Usually when the guests arrive at the listing, every Host has a different style and check-in system in place to greet guests and help them access the listing. Some Hosts prefer virtual check-in while some Hosts may like to meet their guests in person and guide them through the listing. 

Based on your hosting style and guest requirements, the check-in window for guests can also widely vary. While few Hosts accommodate a flexible check-in time for the guests, some Hosts may find that a standard check-in time works well for their listing. 

I'd like to invite our Hosts to share what's their hosting style when guests arrive to the listing. 

What's your preferred method and approach for guests checking into your property? How long is your check-in window? Is there a particular sweet spot? Do you offer flexible check in to your guests? Do you change the check-in times depending on the seasons?

Looking forward to your insights and suggestions! 🌻

-----

Please follow the Community Guidelines

63 Replies 63
Bhumika
Community Manager
Community Manager
Toronto, Canada

That's a fair approach @Jim2217 that ensures guest's privacy! Host @Graham-And-Anabel0 shared a similar approach above , that makes me curious — are guests often inclined to feeling social and have conversations with the Hosts or they prefer self check-ins in your specific case?

-----

George1988
Level 1
Brighton, Australia

I find that flexibility with my standard check in times gets a few bookings over the line which I could otherwise have lost. So far I have not charged for an early or late check in. If I decline it is normally as previous guests may be checking out in the time the new guest wants to check in making servicing the accommodation impossible. I require at least 3 hours to do this. 

I prefer a key safe for my guests as it means that I do not have to be present for check in or check out. I am always complimented on my very clear instructions meaning they have complete control. It also means that in the event of a flight delay in the evening I do not have to stay up till an unearthly hour for them to check in. I also ensure external lights are on from my main house so they can access the property with ease.

thanks

George

PS I am unsure if this was meant for me as it was addressed to George88 with an Irish country code. I have replied anyway!

Bhumika
Community Manager
Community Manager
Toronto, Canada

Hi @George1988 , your approach for a flexible check-in sounds guest friendly. It’s nice to read that you’re able to accommodate early or late check-ins if possible. Seems like your communication strategy with guests is bringing you a lot of compliments 😉 

Have you had any challenges with guests using the key safe or with late arrivals? 

-----

Francisco2104
Level 2
Talca, Chile

Tengo horario establecido para el check in y coordinamos previamente con el huesped para recibirlo y entregar llaves ademas de conocer la casa y las reglas correspondientes y nuestra disponibilidad pór si requieren alguna informacion o algo adicional 

[Translation added by Community Manager]

I have an established time for check-in and we coordinate in advance with the guest to receive them and deliver keys in addition to knowing the house and the corresponding rules and our availability in case they require any information or something additional

Bhumika
Community Manager
Community Manager
Toronto, Canada

That's a nice approach @Francisco2104 , what is the usual check-in window in your case? Do you allow check-in only after 12 PM to accommodate cleaning between same-day stays? 

Do you handover the keys to the guests in person or take help from a property manager to handle interactions with guests?

-----

Karen114
Level 10
Bolton, MA

@Bhumika As much as I would love to meet my guests at check in it's not possible due to living out of state.  We use key pad lock so they can arrive whenever. 

I do however ask for an approximate ETA the night before.  If they are getting in late after my typical bedtime, I will wait up to make sure they get in OK.  Luckily we don't have many of those 😀

Karen
Bhumika
Community Manager
Community Manager
Toronto, Canada

Hi @Karen114 , thank you so much for sharing your approach with us! It's a fair point about not being able to meet the guests since you live out of the state. How do you usually handle any issues or questions your guests might have during their stay, given that you live out of state? Do you have a Co-host for your listing?

I've seen Hosts usually debate about a reliable smart lock for their Airbnbs. Which brand has been your go-to option to ensure a smooth check-in for guests?

-----

Sam6250
Level 1
California, United States

My property management team meet and greet each guest arriving till 9:00 pm after that key code .

we are flexible on check in time as long as our unit is ready .

most guest arrive 2-6 pm

we don’t change based on season 

Bhumika
Community Manager
Community Manager
Toronto, Canada

@Sam6250 Thanks for sharing! Looks like a well-organized system!

Do the guests usually appreciate meeting the property management team since the start of the stay, in case they have questions about the listing? Do they provide a listing tour to help guests navigate through the listing?

How do you handle the situations wherein guests arrive later than your check-in window?

-----

Graham-And-Anabel0
Level 1
Charlton Down, United Kingdom

Hey Bhumika,  we always make contact with the guest and agree the time and their preferred method for checking in.  We do offer the option to let themselves in but we've found that a warm welcome is always preferred and noted on our feedback.  We have not altered our check in times across the year but are flexible to fit in with the guest.  From our experience being there to greet guests is a major contributor to our 5* ratings.

Hi @Graham-And-Anabel0 , that sounds like a really flexible approach! Since you ask your guests about the preferred check-in method, what has been the most preferred approach your guests have requested? Is the number of guests requesting to meet and greet higher than the number who request self check-in? 

What has been your communication strategy while meeting guests, to ensure a great first impression 😉 ? Do you have any tips for the new Hosts visiting the Community? 😍

-----

Ann38632
Level 1
Langbank, United Kingdom

Hi - I’m Ann from Scotland, UK.  I use key safe boxes for all of my check ins unless the guest specifically wants to meet me in person.   This has worked very well for me so far.

Bhumika
Community Manager
Community Manager
Toronto, Canada

Thanks for sharing @Ann38632 ! In this topic, I've noticed that many Hosts do prefer self-check-ins for guests. How do you usually send them check-in information? Do you share it 24 hours or 48 hours prior to their stay? What's your communication strategy to ensure a smooth check-in for guests? 😃

-----

Paul9794
Level 2
County Kerry, Ireland

The day before a guest arrives I send a message with detailed information how to find us and a picture of our entrance. I always meet our guests on arrival with a quick meet and greet and let them know I am available at any time. I will contact our guest mid stay to check that they are happy. For me, it is so important that our guests experience an escape from the world.

Bhumika
Community Manager
Community Manager
Toronto, Canada

That's such a kind and welcoming approach @Paul9794 ! Do your guests compliment you in the reviews for your thoughtfulness? Do you live nearby the listing to help guests whenever they need?

-----