What's your preferred check-in system and style?

Bhumika
Community Manager
Community Manager
Toronto, Canada

What's your preferred check-in system and style?

Guest arrival and Check-InGuest arrival and Check-In

Hi Everyone! 

Usually when the guests arrive at the listing, every Host has a different style and check-in system in place to greet guests and help them access the listing. Some Hosts prefer virtual check-in while some Hosts may like to meet their guests in person and guide them through the listing. 

Based on your hosting style and guest requirements, the check-in window for guests can also widely vary. While few Hosts accommodate a flexible check-in time for the guests, some Hosts may find that a standard check-in time works well for their listing. 

I'd like to invite our Hosts to share what's their hosting style when guests arrive to the listing. 

What's your preferred method and approach for guests checking into your property? How long is your check-in window? Is there a particular sweet spot? Do you offer flexible check in to your guests? Do you change the check-in times depending on the seasons?

Looking forward to your insights and suggestions! 🌻

-----

Please follow the Community Guidelines

44 Replies 44

Hi everyone!

I’m Fabrizio from Blue Vista Buggerru.

We wait for the guest and hand over the keys. A few days before, we send a message asking them to call us half an hour before check-in. Check-in usually takes place between 5 PM and 9 PM.

Best regards

Hi @Fabrizio-Simone0 ,  Thanks for sharing your process with the community 😍. Sounds like an organized and thoughtful approach!

Have you observed any benefits of such in-person check-in? Have you ever accommodated check-in requests from guests who are late or want to reach the place after 9 PM? 

-----

Late night check ins are a HUGE problem for hosts, AIRBNB, and neighbours of Airbnb properties.  Who will activate to forbid Airbnbs in their community, township or state.  Be responsible and demand guest accountability!

#1 people are more disoriented, they have dinner and drinks, late flights get delayes more often, more difficulties finding the apartment inthe dark when nobody is around to help.

#2 guest arrives late night nobody around and panics; is not able to work lockbox.  Multiple problems can happen.  Guest didn't read instructions.  Cleaners forgot to leave keys in lockbox.  Lockbox malfunctions.  in our experinece 40% late night arrivals need assistance (due to THEIR fault).

#3 Late night arrivals typically disturb the neighbours.  Problems finding the keys or right apartment?  They ring the neighours bells.  This is why Airbnb is getting BANNED from so many places.  Rolling suitcases at 3 am.  Then having "dinner" in the apartment at 3:30 am and doing the dishes at 4, slamming closets and cupboards at 4:30 .

Susan1188
Level 10
Marbella, Spain

Hi @Bhumika  Thanks for starting a thread about this!

We are top 1% worldwide hosts.

We have found that it is absolutely necessary to MEET AND GREET our guests for multiple reasons which I will explain.

We MEET AND GREET during daytime hours before 8pm and do not allow late night check in.

Self check in properties have many problems, complaints, and customer insatisfaction.  Yes, guests SAY that they want self check in.  Then, they can't find the lockbox, can'tt open it, they don't know how to get on the internet, turn on the TV, work the airco, where is the nearest supermarket, etc etc... If you self check in, the guest will be unsatisfied in the end!

We have tried everything and we have lock boxes and keypad codes etc.  When we don't meet our guests on arrival things always go wrong!!!! Guest is less satisfied even though maybe he thought he didn't want to meet us for the keys.

40% of late night self check ins result in a need for immediate assistance.  Call to the host or property manager at 2 am.  This is because: late arrivals accumulate delays, people have dinner and drink before arriving, it is harder to find the place in the dark, during the night people are more disoriented than during the day, at night time there is nobody to help if your uber driver has left you off in front of the door and you can't find the lock box!

Late night self check in is a reason for local communities to BAN airbnbs.  People arrive at 1 am, roll their luggage around looking for the apartment, ring multiple neighbours because they didn't read the instructions or couldn''t find the key... then when they arrive (thanks to your 2024 ad campaign) they think they can have a gathering on the terrace start cooking and running the dishwasher at 3 am.

So as a conclusion, whether meet and greet or "self check in", the host absolutely has to know when the guest is arriving and be online available and ready to answer until the guest has the keys and has entered the apartment.  This is what we do.  So if a guest is not responsive and does not give flight info and check in time, does not respond to messages, we need the right to cancel the reservation.

Thank you for taking this into consideration and thanks for your post!

Happy hosting everyone!

Bhumika
Community Manager
Community Manager
Toronto, Canada

Hi @Susan1188 , thanks for sharing your insights and observations! You've indeed such a beautiful listing and received many great reviews from guests 😍 Do you have any unique tips to ensure amazing stays for guests that you recommend for new Hosts? 

It looks like you've explored all check-in options and then come to a suitable resolution of in-person check-ins.  Do you have any tips to share with other Hosts about (in-person) meet and greet with guests? Do you give them a tour of the listing or simply have a chat and handover the keys? 

-----

Yes @Bhumika  I have many, many experiences and tips I would llke to share with the community.

We have a fine-tuned choreography of the key meeting.
Either myself or my assistant is present.
We have a checklist of things to verify before arrival and a checklist of things to do during arrival process.

It is a huge amount of work and most hosts under-evaluate the necessity for this.

But we have a proven track record, I would love to work with you to provide guidance or tutorials and with videos and photos of what we do and how we do it.

Farah148
Level 2
San Jose, CA

@Bhumika Hi, I do self check-in:

24 hours before check-in, I send exterior photos of front of property, parking area, and smart lock (includes note that code is the … digits of their phone number).  Then, I send a message for guests to refer to the photos sent, for parking and check-in instructions, and also include WiFi info.  Hope this helps.

Bhumika
Community Manager
Community Manager
Toronto, Canada

Hi @Farah148 , that's a great approach of sending property information to guests before check-in, to ensure they're aware of the listing surroundings and how to find it. Do you use quick messages or scheduled messages to send such messages? I really like how you've added this information of exterior in your listing photos as well! 👏

How do guests typically respond to your detailed instructions? 

-----

Thanks!  Guests have loved the proactive communication, and there have been no check-in/arrival issues so far. 

Also, I do use quick messages, after photos are sent.  I don’t know of a way to include photos via quick or scheduled messages—do you?

Bhumika
Community Manager
Community Manager
Toronto, Canada

Hi @Farah148 , although it's less likely that Hosts can share images in quick/scheduled messages, I wanted to share a wonderful tip that Host @Miguel2294 has shared with us 👉 HERE👈Have you ever thought of creating such pdf files and sharing the pdf link with guests?

-----

@Bhumika  this host has 8 reviews and has clearly not yet experienced a non responsive guues who does not  read instructions and who does not turn on airbnb notifications.

I had some guest who did the same thing didn't pass any attention to messages or respond to any information sent to them or even open the app. All the info is right there when they did the booking, a couple was upset when it's they who didn't check the booking info before. But when they realize their mistake they started catching up.

All they had to do is follow the info as soon as they book so that they can be ahead.