What's your preferred check-in system and style?

Bhumika
Community Manager
Community Manager
Toronto, Canada

What's your preferred check-in system and style?

Guest arrival and Check-InGuest arrival and Check-In

Hi Everyone! 

Usually when the guests arrive at the listing, every Host has a different style and check-in system in place to greet guests and help them access the listing. Some Hosts prefer virtual check-in while some Hosts may like to meet their guests in person and guide them through the listing. 

Based on your hosting style and guest requirements, the check-in window for guests can also widely vary. While few Hosts accommodate a flexible check-in time for the guests, some Hosts may find that a standard check-in time works well for their listing. 

I'd like to invite our Hosts to share what's their hosting style when guests arrive to the listing. 

What's your preferred method and approach for guests checking into your property? How long is your check-in window? Is there a particular sweet spot? Do you offer flexible check in to your guests? Do you change the check-in times depending on the seasons?

Looking forward to your insights and suggestions! 🌻

-----

Please follow the Community Guidelines

44 Replies 44
Bhumika
Community Manager
Community Manager
Toronto, Canada

Hi @Miguel2294 , Thanks for sharing your experience with the check-in process.  How do you usually handle instances where guests face difficulties despite the instructions?

On a side note, one of the Host from Dominican Republic is looking for help related to local regulations in the region. Would you be keen to help this Host? To help the Host you can click here to view the discussion : 👉 Airbnb Condo in Dominican Republic  👈

Many thanks Miguel! 🌻

-----

Miguel2294
Level 1
Santiago de los Caballeros, Dominican Republic

What I do is share a link containing a PDF file with all the instructions for their accommodation. This PDF includes details with photos on how to get there, how to check in by themselves, among other detail.

the same day of their check in I share with them the key pass code 

see the link with the details :

https://drive.google.com/file/d/1tOJI0rR9lrszzWDpofCIcoiW630XhOEC/view?usp=sharing

Regards

Miguel

Bhumika
Community Manager
Community Manager
Toronto, Canada

That's a great idea ! @Miguel2294 Thanks for kindly sharing it with other Hosts 🌻

-----

Karen4192
Level 1
Hull, MA

am Karen from el Pso Tx.  We use the lockbox system and it has worked well  Guest are contacted before and on the day of arrival.  There is a property manager there to assist if there are probems which we haven't had with check ins.

Bhumika
Community Manager
Community Manager
Toronto, Canada

That's amazing @Karen4192 ! It's great to hear that the check-in system is working well for you and guests. It's a bonus to have a property manager available for guests, just in case they have any queries. Have your guests ever needed to contact the property manager while they were staying? 😉

-----

My preferred check-in system combines convenience and personalization. Utilizing a digital lock or key box ensures guests can access the property independently, offering flexibility with arrival times. Simultaneously, a personalized welcome message or guidebook provides essential information and local tips, enhancing the guest experience from the moment they arrive. This approach balances ease of access with a warm, welcoming touch, ensuring a smooth and enjoyable start to their stay.

Bhumika
Community Manager
Community Manager
Toronto, Canada

Thanks for sharing @Muhammad460 ! 

-----

My entry has a keypad by Igloohome. It is linked to Airbnb. On the day of arrival, a unique code is generated and sent to the guest in an automated email. The guest then uses the keypad to admit themselves to my Airbnb space. It is not necessary for me to be present and interact with my guests at check in. This is very useful to me because I work an overnight shift and sleep during the day.

Only two guests have had difficulty admitting themselves. I gave one a physical key. The other was accidentally omitting the last step for entering the code. I updated my welcome letter to clarify the process and emphasize that last step. Fortunately they were later check-ins and I was awake and able to respond promptly.

Beatriz1008
Level 1
Venice, FL

Hi Bhumika,

I just go with the flow, if the guest decided to check in by themself is ok;  If  they want to meet me is

ok as well.

Thanks,

Olgui P

I found out meeting them in person regardless of the time they show up makes my life a lot easier,  haven't had no issues so far.

Thanks !

Laura6801
Level 1
Par, United Kingdom

Hi everyone,

I’m Laura from “Freda’s Treasure” in Par Cornwall.

We have a secure key lock at our home for guests to let themselves in however the majority of the time I like to be home to greet my guests and show them to their rooms and I think that the guests appreciate that more. This has proven to work really well. 

Jim2217
Level 1
Grant, AL

I like to send them a message with my contact number and welcome them.  I leave it up to the guest if they wanna feel social and talk just in case they want their privacy.

George1988
Level 1
Brighton, Australia

I find that flexibility with my standard check in times gets a few bookings over the line which I could otherwise have lost. So far I have not charged for an early or late check in. If I decline it is normally as previous guests may be checking out in the time the new guest wants to check in making servicing the accommodation impossible. I require at least 3 hours to do this. 

I prefer a key safe for my guests as it means that I do not have to be present for check in or check out. I am always complimented on my very clear instructions meaning they have complete control. It also means that in the event of a flight delay in the evening I do not have to stay up till an unearthly hour for them to check in. I also ensure external lights are on from my main house so they can access the property with ease.

thanks

George

PS I am unsure if this was meant for me as it was addressed to George88 with an Irish country code. I have replied anyway!

Francisco2104
Level 2
Talca, Chile

Tengo horario establecido para el check in y coordinamos previamente con el huesped para recibirlo y entregar llaves ademas de conocer la casa y las reglas correspondientes y nuestra disponibilidad pór si requieren alguna informacion o algo adicional 

Karen114
Level 10
Bolton, MA

@Bhumika As much as I would love to meet my guests at check in it's not possible due to living out of state.  We use key pad lock so they can arrive whenever. 

I do however ask for an approximate ETA the night before.  If they are getting in late after my typical bedtime, I will wait up to make sure they get in OK.  Luckily we don't have many of those 😀

Karen