When should you charge a pet fee?

Cameron424
Level 1
Largo, FL

When should you charge a pet fee?

Had guests check and they were visiting family in the area. The family that came to visit brought their dogs over to the air B&B on multiple occasions throughout the stay. The animals stayed for an extended period of time throughout the stay. Guest did not mention anything about having animals nor were they charged a pet fee. I am a dog friendly house so not an issue with them brining the dogs over, but should I charge them a pet fee since the dogs were over every day that they stayed for a chunk of time each day. While cleaning the house there was long black dog hair on the couch, sheets and floors. How do I go about approaching the guest to add a pet fee or do I just ask for payment. Haven’t been in this position before and not sure how to move forward with it. Thanks so much. 

2 Replies 2
Marie8425
Top Contributor
Buckeye, AZ

@Cameron424 

Your kind of in a bad spot because you didn't know so the Guest isn't conscious of your issues from you prior to doing ut.

If the Guest otherwise was no issues I would tread soft because you don't want to tarnish a good rental experience.

That doesn't mean you can't just politely ask about animal cleaning being honest I just wasn't  aware that you would have animal visitors that just naturally shed and I had a higher cleaning cost then expected.

Sometimes if the Guest doesn't feel like they have to be defensive they are more reasonable.

Hi Cameron,

If the pet fee was clearly disclosed before confirming this reservation, it's advisable to collect it while reiterating that it has been part of the listing description from the beginning.

If pet fee is not disclosed before the booking is confirmed, I recommend not to collect a pet fee as it may backfire on reviews.

In the future, here’s how you can effectively communicate and enforce the pet fee:

1. Update Your Listing: Clearly articulate in your Airbnb listing that while pets are welcome, there is a pet fee to cover additional cleaning costs. Be specific about the fee amount and any applicable conditions, such as the number of pets allowed and types of pets.

2. Pre-Booking Communication: When potential guests inquire or book and mention pets, promptly remind them of the pet fee and explain its purpose (e.g., extra cleaning). Ensure they agree to this charge before finalizing their booking.

3. Check-In Reminder: At check-in, if guests have brought pets, gently remind them of the pet policy and the associated fee. This can be conveyed through a welcome note or verbally, ensuring they understand and consent to these terms.

4. Post-Booking Review: After guests depart, inspect your property to assess its condition. If all terms were adhered to and the pet fee was properly handled, recognize their cooperation in your guest review.

Adopting this proactive approach ensures that your expectations regarding pet fees are clear from the outset, preventing misunderstandings and ensuring that you are compensated for any additional cleaning required due to pets.

I hope this helps streamline your process.

All the best,

Upfish Management