charging guests for charging their electric cars

Answered!
Rachel1744
Level 2
Ryall, United Kingdom

charging guests for charging their electric cars

We allow guests to charge their electric cars via an external 3 pin socket adjacent to their parking space. So far we have operated an honesty box system, asking guests to leave cash on departure for what they think they have used - but 2 lots have now left without paying anything.  How have other hosts tackled this? We don't want to invest in a fast charging point and cannot meter guests electricity usage separately from our own, and using the dispute resolution centre feels unnecessarily combative. Any ideas?

1 Best Answer
Lorna170
Level 10
Swannanoa, NC

@Rachel1744  Can you install a lockbox over the electric outlet with a code or a separate key access?  Then they can access it only after payment has been made.  Is the socket on a separate circuit that you can turn off from the house panel?  Our outdoor electrical is on a separate circuit, so we can turn it off (without affecting safety lighting) preventing people from charging their car without our knowledge.

View Best Answer in original post

12 Replies 12
Fred13
Level 10
Placencia, Belize

Some things in hosting are too tricky to include without the potential for a lot of added hassle, so consider not getting involved in the whole affair in the first place. Nothing has to be, even in hosting.

Of course how often this comes up, how long they need to be charged, or can you pass on the cost, etc etc should be taken into consideration now, or someday later.

Lorna170
Level 10
Swannanoa, NC

@Rachel1744  Can you install a lockbox over the electric outlet with a code or a separate key access?  Then they can access it only after payment has been made.  Is the socket on a separate circuit that you can turn off from the house panel?  Our outdoor electrical is on a separate circuit, so we can turn it off (without affecting safety lighting) preventing people from charging their car without our knowledge.

I think the lockbox is the only practical solution for us. It is what we were thinking about before I.posted this query so good to know it's not a crazy idea!

Karol22
Level 10
SF, CA

Consider not providing a charging station as an amenity. Some things are just too complex to manage and this seems like one of them. If the charging station is not a focal factor of your listing amenities and is not a key reason anyone book your listing, then you don't need to offer it.

Thanks Karol. It's proving an attractive amenity and we've had several guests choose us because we offer this facility so I think it's worth us finding a solution. Rachel

Kimberly419
Level 4
Ontario, Canada

Hi Rachel, 

I'm an EV driver and we provide free use of a high-speed Tesla charger in our Airbnb.

To me, the simple answer is, don't charge for charging. Or continue to do as you're doing with the donation box (I like that idea!) and don't worry if some people don't pay.  

In homes where appliances and HVAC are electric, the amount of electricity a car uses to charge *during a single stay* will be an incremental increase over regular household consumption. A typical EV on a Level 1 (slow) charger like yours draws about 2000 watts -- the same as an 8ft baseboard heater, clothes dryer, or medium window air conditioner; or about a third of what an electric water heater draws. 

That said, if electricity where you are is enormously expensive and your appliances are not electric, EV charging may meaningfully add to your costs (you can do that math). So another option would be to limit charging to a certain number of hours or times of day when elec is cheaper. You could do this by putting the outlet on its own breaker and just shutting it off or by adding a plug-lock to the outlet. 

One last suggestion would be to add a note that the charger is for topping up only and then provide directions to the nearest charging station. 

Overall my feeling is this -- As a rule, hosts don't charge extra for using extra utilities --  to roast a turkey for 4 hours or bake 3 batches of cookies; spend an evening in front of a gas fireplace; run more heat or AC; plug in electric blankets; take long showers; or run extra loads of laundry. We just build those things into our costs. I think EV charging should be treated the same way.

Cheers,

-Kim

Thanks Kim. I think we'll try a lockbox. Rachel

Hi Kim, I don't have an EV and have zero experience. Is installing an 14-50r outlet enough for folks with EV's to charge their vehicles?

It's indeed a great idea! However, have you considered offering free gas for convention vehicles or free airfare to our destinations? I believe it's along the same lines and could enhance the proposal further.

The difference between an EV and a household appliance is, we build in the costs of operating the appliances (amenity) we provide to our guests. An EV is not an advertised amenity so we hosts should not be responsible for the cost of running that amenity.

We don't provide fuel for internal combustion vehicles for free; we shouldn't be expected to provide electricity for EVs for free.

There is also the safety factor. If you don't have a dedicated external plug with no other appliances on the same circuit, charging an EV will overload the circuit.

And if the cost of charging an EV is equivalent to using a baseboard electric heater, then that's a Hard No for me. The oldest part of my house has baseboard electric heat and it runs up the electric bill FAST.

I specifically note it in my listing that I do NOT have an outlet suitable for charging EVs and the nearest charging station is  located at _____________ and to please top off before arriving.

Thank you for ur intelligent answer.  Tonight was the first time I’ve been asked to provide electric for EV. That’s a resounding NO!! My house is 150 years old.  And I consider it extremely RUDE!!! Where is it u stay and get your trip fuel for free? I keep my prices affordable and I saw ppl recommending to pay the electric charge of $7 and I’ve read also $40. That’s not my job to pay for their fuel. 

Patricia4763
Level 1
Massachusetts, United States

I just experienced this for the first time this evening.  The guest has a lightening truck and has traveled here a considerable distance and charged it and went sight seeing all day and charged it this evening.  My understanding is it is about $30 maybe a bit more to fill this car.  IWe have been offering a discounted rate.  I think the guest should have asked, we provide a bottle of wine and a first days breakfast.  I certainly did not count on an additional $60 for their fuel.…..I will add it to my list of rules.