manager/co-host

Jeffrey522
Level 2
Salt Lake City, UT

manager/co-host

I own a home and duplex and found a local person to host/manage them. They put the properties on AirBnB a few months ago and am having MAJOR problems with the person. They agreed to put up the listing (I paid for pictures), host the listing, arrange cleaning, check in on the home weekly, take care of minor repairs, make sure trash is done, welcome book, deal with guest issues, etc and is taking a percentage. Things have gone from bad to worse. Some examples: follow: after a few weeks, they said it's better for me to pay for cleaning and not have guests do so (better ranking) so this cuts into my take home in a huge way, trash overflowing and not put out on curb, no guest book, pet hair not cleaned off couch, salt/pepper empty, guests coming into home with malfunctioning AC (host had said they would check on home before guests arrive and turn on AC so should have known this), continual excuses why they can't meet us at the home to talk over things, billing me AND guests for the city tax (having me pay for things the guest has already paid). And there's more, but to my question....

I think that since i'm not co-host, if/when I fire them, I'll lose my listing reviews, future bookings, etc and will need to start over. Is this correct? Is there a remedy? For example, if I ask to "co-host" and then terminate the relationship with the host, will I get to keep the listing, reviews, future bookings?  Does anyone have suggestions for how to find a new host without losing my listing/reviews, etc? My places are beautiful and in a prime part of our town. We have great reviews despite a subpar manager since I've put so much money/effort into making the places awesome. I'd hate to lose everything, including bookings and time to reboot. 

Next qu: does anyone have ideas on how to find a really good host/manager? (I've recently moved and can't host myself as I am not in town and have a f/t job. And is there an average % one gives to the host/manager? (i'm in a fairly large western mountain city).

Thanks so much!!

4 Replies 4
Mike-And-Jane0
Level 10
England, United Kingdom

@Jeffrey522 sadly there is no way to keep the review or the listing. It should have been set up with you as the host and the manager as the co host. Perhaps do it this way in the future.

Helen3
Level 10
Bristol, United Kingdom

What references did you take up before taking on your cohost @Jeffrey522 

Do you have a contract with them? 

as Mike says you should never let a cohost set the listing up under their profile - listings are not transferable .

I agree cut your losses . Terminate your contract with e cohost and set up your own listing.

As for recommendations for a new cohost in a local host group for your area and take up references. 

I do agree you should have a cleaning service which of course you can add to your listing so the guest pays . 

Hey Jeffrey, I am a manager and I'd love to discuss my services with you! Shoot me a DM for more info.  

Hi Jeffrey522,

Really sorry to hear you had such a bad experience with your (hopefully prior by now) property manager. We are not a property management company but we are interested in co-hosting!

We are Superhosts with nearly 3 years of experience successfully managing all aspects of short term rental properties. We have an overall 4.99 star rating with over 100 reviews across all platforms.

We would need to know more about the property to determine if it would be a good fit for both parties. Please message us so we can discuss further!

Kindly,

Jon and Nora

Elevated Stay