need an improvement to the booking process - party prevention

S14
Level 9
New York, NY

need an improvement to the booking process - party prevention

When my dates are not available (due to other bookings or blocked dates), potential guests are not able to submit a reservation request or an inquiry for those dates. This makes sense. So, both guests and hosts automatically know if the dates are mutually agreeable without wasting time discussing further. (Yes, that assumes that hosts keep their calendars up to date -- but of course most of us are well on top of that. I am!)

Sometime within the past year, Airbnb started a process of screening and blocking certain guests from booking according to an algorithm that can help predict guests who are planning to have (an illegal) party in the space. Here's the Airbnb policy about it:

I am not objecting to this policy! I'm sure it helps a lot -- and we sure need help to prevent parties. Much appreciated. Here's the problem: If someone is going to be blocked from completing a reservation due to this (or any other) policy, Airbnb should prevent them from trying to book -- exactly like the process for not allowing guests to try to book when the dates aren't available. AND Airbnb should simply give those guests a pop-up with a link to the policy at the time of blocking so that they will understand.

I am very upset about the zillions of hours and aggravation wasted, utterly wasted, communicating with guests and preparing for potential bookings when Airbnb is going to block them anyway. Since Airbnb hides the age (& sometimes the location) of the guests making an inquiry, I can't tell in advance if someone is about to be blocked.

In the recent past (perhaps still?) when Airbnb did finally block these potential guests, they never told them why! So then these potential guests wasted more and more time trying booking after booking, with listing after listing, aggravating more and more hosts as well, spending their own time on something that was never going to work out. If you have a policy, stick to it and be honest and up front about it! Please!  We had many -- yes many -- attempted reservations in this category and most of them got a very misleading message from Airbnb stating that the reservation could not be completed due to "safety concerns" -- incorrectly and unfairly implying that there is something unsafe about the listing! I freaked when I first heard that -- and wasted even more hours getting through to Airbnb Support who finally said that it is the guests who "might be unsafe" to my property! I guess Airbnb needs people who have a better command of language and communication skills. Honestly. Yes, that's the point -- honesty.

I wish I knew how to get the right person(s) at Airbnb to read and respond to this.
21 Replies 21

@S14 I am sorry you are dealing with this. What do you mean by cash? Was your cleaner able to provide you with an invoice?

@Inna22 Yes, the housekeeper gave me an invoice for the extra "deep" cleaning due to smoke and of course I paid her. 

@S14  I would just like to point out that intelligence and literacy are two different things. One can be very, very smart and also illiterate. 

I imagine that there are other factors affecting your guests' disregard of your booking requirements, namely entitlement and simple lack of attention. 

Kia

Thomas18
Level 6
Baltimore, MD

I completely agree, It's maddening to have to deal with inquiries that will only get rejected later by Airbnb. I feel like the timing of it is about trying to make the Host the bad guy instead of Airbnb being liable for discriminatory policies. They allow you to receive the inquiry from the young person, who lives in the same city your listing is in, and has a brand-new account with no reviews. They want you to be the one to reject it. If you don't, only then will they do it. 

@Thomas18yes, exactly.

Re: Party Blocker blocks legitimate booking reques... - Airbnb Community (withairbnb.com)

The party blocker as it is working now kills legit bookings with bad algorithms.    @Robin4 reported that a month ago or more and wrote a piece on it.  While I was busy trying to un-screw a screwed booking I found out the CS telephone and text interface is still very broken, slow and unreliable.  Three hours of my life and the guest that couldnt book me but was allowed to book someone else will never get back that were wasted for nothing

@Thomas18 , @S14 , @Inna22 ,  

Yes, the party blocker system, while well intentioned, was poorly designed. Any system like that should, IMO, simply provide FLAGS to hosts so that we will know to excercise extra caution in screening. But it should never prevent us from taking a booking that we feel is good. THere were many times when I was totally sure someone was fine, but they could not book. One time, it was so absurd I permited the guest to have her aunt book for her. I got very sweet phone calls from both the aunt and the mother of the young woman. Everything was perfect.

And it misses oh-so-many partiers.