If we are partners Brian, Joe and Nate, why didn't you involve us in your decision?

Susie213
Level 2
Liphook, United Kingdom

If we are partners Brian, Joe and Nate, why didn't you involve us in your decision?

Hi Brian, Joe and Nate,

This is an open letter, letting you know to what degree you have scuppered any business plan made by a host with your extraordinary accouncement that guests are receiving a full refund with travel over the next month. 

To take into account your cancellation policy of 50% refund up to a week before travel - which tbh isn't a fairly balanced cancellation policy for the host - how often can you find another guest at a week's notice when most guests in places like Barbados book between 6 - 9 months before travel? -  I always look at the minimum amount I'm going to receive for a month and budget to that. 

I have , from yesterday, lost approx £ 5000.00 sterling. 

You have been philanthropic at our expense and if we are partners, why didn't you poll a response to this situation with a sample group of superhosts? If you had, you might have gained an insight into  the POV of the host and how we would be impacted.

I welcome your offer to help resolve this. I think now is the time for a concrete proposal to reassure hosts that you're also sympathetic to the situation you have put us in, without little warning.  

With best wishes and I wish all the Airnbnb community a healthy and safe 2020,

Susie 

5 Replies 5
Kate124
Level 1
Stamford, United Kingdom

I completely agree, if we are 'all in this together', how is it that hosts are bearing the entire financial burden? Airbnb as a company could afford to reimburse guests who wish to cancel out of their own (considerably deeper) pocket. our income has literally gone overnight. we rely entirely on airbnb to support our family, and this new unilaterally decided upon policy means we are likely to have to sell up, and host no more. it is brutal, and feels more brutal because we feel we are being punished alone. 

Susie213
Level 2
Liphook, United Kingdom

I'm really sorry to hear how hard you've been hit, Kate - this is a shocker. Stay safe and I hope Airbnb can give you and all of us some comfort.

Tony1092
Level 2
Aunby, United Kingdom

We have committed to local people to help with housekeeping and collecting guests from the train station, these people are relying on our business to keep THEIR families fed and THEIR mortgages paid... I can't let them down! how is it we hosts are left carrying the can? surely this is no more our fault than our guests and they at least have travel insurance to fall back on. no business insurance covers interruption for pandemic?!?!? Tony 

Patricia2604
Level 4
Queensland, AU

@Susie213 

I genuinely hope you get a response but on past records and dealings I have had with airbnb in general i very much doubt you will. So now the challenge is up to Brian, Joe and Nate to prove me wrong. 

In total to date we have lost $9000.

Contractually I didn't think they could do this - they've changed the terms of business we accepted. I'm so sorry you've lost all this money - and with no time to manage the fall out. When a community comes to terms with a unprecedented situation they pull together by all losing something together - its the sense of universal loss that pulls us together . Creating an artificial situation where hosts lose out at the expense of Airbnb and the guests is not a community. It's a PR stunt. And what if this situation continues, are we expected to refund another wave of 100%'s ? So we lost another month's income. 50% I get, but anymore and this is leading lambs to the slaughterhouse. I hope you stay safe, Susie ! Let's hope this situation is dealt with professionally going forwards.