Retroactive Refunds - Clarification

Danielle476
Level 10
Toronto, Canada

Retroactive Refunds - Clarification

Hi everyone,

Can anybody clarify whether the newly announced retroactive '25%' refunds will apply to cancellations that were made before this announcement?  Or are they just retroactively refunding hosts for cancellations that were COVID-related and thus fully refunded?

E.g., Guest cancelled one week ago for a stay in May and June.  I was given a 50% refund as per my strict cancellation policy, let's say $100.  This money is set to be released to me when the booking would have occurred.  Will this amount stay the same, or will it be reduced to $25?  Will the guest be able to retroactively qualify for the newly extended policy that now encompasses bookings until May 31st?

Many thanks!

3 Replies 3
Pat271
Level 10
Greenville, SC

Knowing the way software works, this is my guess:  If you did not get a “XXXX has cancelled because of COVID” email for a cancelled guest, or if you did not say “yes” when getting the “XXXX is uncomfortable traveling and wants a full refund” email, then that booking will not qualify under the 12.5% refund policy.  

I granted a few full refunds manually before the 100% refund policy went into effect, and there is proof through messaging that the cancellation was due to COVID, but I doubt those bookings will be included in the 12.5% refund policy.  In order to get 12.5% back from those bookings, calling Airbnb and pointing them to the messaging to prove that the reason for cancellation was COVID might help, but obviously that’s hit or miss at best.  

I don’t think this refund policy can work any other way, as Airbnb  would have to spend 1000’s of hours combing through messages to determine the reason for each cancellation.

Similarly and for these reasons, I doubt that Airbnb will take the time to include your “retroactive” bookings for the 12.5% refund policy, at least not automatically.  Therefore, you will probably get your 50% payout for those bookings.

Paul6388
Level 1
New Orleans, LA

Should super hosts just standby to await automatic refunds or does it require some action on our part? 

Chris-And-Tim1
Level 2
Virginia Beach, VA

I would like clarification on this AND how to help our current Reservation holders past - what should be a ROLLING DATE based on reality on the ground - to help them Cancel so we can flip to supplying housing for health care workers asap.

Brian's current Policies are way too confusing so far.  

I view Brian's update yesterday - FINALLY - as a strong very first step recognizing us HOSTS ARE PARTNERS and IF they want INVENTORY down the road we need help & clarity now.