Should guests carry any burden of the Coronavirus cancellations?

Inna22
Level 10
Chicago, IL

Should guests carry any burden of the Coronavirus cancellations?

When my guests booked they knew I had strict policy. This covered anything that happened unless my fault. I promise I did not cause Coronavirus. So this is not my fault. I also took a chance- I am sure I get fewer bookings because of my policy. But this is not casual extra for me, I need to pay mortgage, taxes, college tuition for my child etc etc. I opted for less income but sure one. When guests cancel and get full refund, this is extra money for them. They have already spent in on a trip, not an item. They were never getting anything tangible back that they are not now. So this is sunk cost. All they are not getting is an experience. Why then this should be solely on the hosts? I know airbnb wants to please guests. I just wonder how many of us will not be able to survive this. There are stories on the news about poor guests who did not get to go on this wonderful trip and now need to pay. Where are the stories of hosts who scramble to get their next mortgage paid now?

64 Replies 64
Tom642
Level 1
Joshua Tree, CA

Hi Inna , I totally get what you're saying. I had a guest cancel yesterday she's from Germany and they will not let her fly into the u.s. her and her friends had tickets for the Coachella fest and rented my place for a week. Airbnb refunded her all her money because of the Coronavirus and it was 27 days before her arrival. I just had a lady call me today and she wants a cancel for Wednesday and Thursday and wants all her money back when she signed the contract she knew that I had a strict policy with such a short notice for her cancellation there's no way I can book her date she canceled so what am I to do. I'm just going to tell her to deal with Airbnb and the policy for cancellations. I canceled on a hotel reservation and I got docked what are some of my money's.

Michelle53
Level 10
Chicago, IL

@Inna22  This was in the news two days ago. A lifetime ago, in the virus progression.

https://www.bloomberg.com/news/articles/2020-03-11/airbnb-refuses-guests-refunds-amid-virus-cancella...

@Michelle53 Yes, I saw that. Basically we are their bottomless publicity dollars. My calendar was wiped clean almost entirely today.

@Inna22  Sorry to hear that. I've lost a couple, but my calendar was light, anyway, for March and April. What's left is for later in the year. 

The only hopeful thing, for me, because the guests got 100% refunds, is that they've bookmarked me, so they can come back another time.  I've tried to keep it as cordial as possible, even though it's pretty worrying. 

@Michelle53 

I have had a few cancel too, but much as I am worried how I am going to pay the bills, I totally understand their situation. I too, have tried to keep it upbeat, what else can we do? 

I got wiped as well. Lost at least 10 thousand Euros. Every European state is closing its  borders in a state of collective xenophobia.

Regards,

Roderick.

So agree with you! I just had cancelation worth thousands because guests are scared to drive an hour!? I totally understand when its cancelled flights (by he government) still don't believe this should all fall on owners, but refund same state reservations? Guests from an hour drive? Why are they making these decisions with 0 input from the hosts? Guests get 100% refund, airbnb get to look great in the front lines about their new policies - what about us?! Who got our back!? Lesson learned airbnb... you are going on my #booklastresortlist 

Michael303
Level 10
New Orleans, LA

Travel Insurance is easy and inexpensive for Guests to purchase. The lack of travel insurance protection is devastating for Hosts!

I think it's beyond unfortunate for Airbnb, hosts and guests that Airbnb does on hold guest accountable for travel insurance. The simplest way to handle this is to explain travel insurance up front - prior to booking and let guests know it's their responsibility to purchase it or guests will be taking the risk themselves. Travel insurance has existed since the beginning of modern travel. Nothing new here...

1. Airbnb recommends travel insurance: Please follow all AirBnB suggestions (see link below) and make sure to purchase TRAVEL INSURANCE to protect your trip! <-- this is how I end my welcome email to guests. ** weblink censored**

2. Suggestion: if Airbnb wants to act like an insurance company and refund guests their money then charge a fee ($35 – $45 to be competitive with trip insurance companies) for that service.

3. If you drive a car without insurance and get into an "unforeseen" accident, you are responsible not the person you ran into. If you book a trip without travel insurance and something "unforeseen" happens, you are responsible not the person who is hosting you. 

4. I have to carry business interruption insurance, liability insurance, flood insurance, homeowners insurance, I even have to have a hotel policy on top of that on my building. All for the benefits of my guests and myself. It is insane that guests aren’t provided an option for travel insurance.

This part of the Airbnb - Host relationship is 100% unfair and unprofessional. Hosts are not Insurance companies. This policy is insane. Travel insurance has existed since the beginning of modern travel.

Mandatory TRAVEL INSURANCE for guests! Problem solved. Check out this discussion:

COVID-19 WILL BANKRUPT HOSTS AROUND THE WORLD BECAUSE AIRBNB REFUSES TO ACKNOWLEDGE THE EXISTENCE OF TRAVEL INSURANCE!

https://community.withairbnb.com/t5/Help/WHY-WILL-COVID-19-BANKRUPT-HOSTS-AROUND-THE-WORLD/m-p/12580...

Rather than making insurance "mandatory," Airbnb could adopt the same policy as the airlines and car rental companies:

- Contract with a third party insurance provider for best policies and rates

- Strongly recommend travel insurance

- Offer "basic" travel insurance and an upgrade option (Cancel for Any Reason, CFAR)

- Require the guests to check a box stating one of the following:

___ Yes add insurance

___ No, I will travel without insurance;  I have read my host's cancellation policy and am willing take the risk that unexpected events might prevent me from taking this trip.

Will283
Level 5
Long Beach, CA

airbnb host guarantee. airbnb  company should pay for it 100%

Gary247
Level 3
Denver, CO

I am disappointed with the way AirBnB is handling this.  If anything, AirBnB should be providing refunds to guests out of their earnings.  No doubt they can claim tax deductions as business losses that we as hosts can't.     As hosts we had been provided cancellation policy options to choose to post so all guests can see.   Guests have always had the option of selecting the less expensive short term rental over a hotel with consideration that it is cheaper in part due to the fact there is  risk that they not be able to travel for one reason or another.   

Once a booking is made, isn't it then a matter of contract between the host and the guest, with terms of rental agreed by components of the listing which includes the cancellation policy?

• My cancellation policy has been established with consideration that once a guest has booked the property, the calendar is blocked such that no others are able to make booking for the dates reserved, through AirBnB  OR ANY OTHER LISTING SITE.

• As travelers we consider the cost vs benefit of booking a property with a no-refund policy. The fact is that as travelers we take a risk that something could happen that prevents our travel. We weigh the more costly lodging options that provide the benefit of flexibility in cancellation vs the less expensive short-term rentals that do not.

• Those of us that offer short-term rentals through VRBO do not expect to earn as much from rental compared to a hotel given the fact that is not practical to offer the property for rental without a strict no-refund policy.

• Some guests choose to opt for travel insurance as a safeguard in such cases. Hosts do not have an option for insurance to cover cancellations.

• The security in having the property reserved for a guest with revenue expected has always been a strong consideration for making the property available for short-term rental as opposed to other options such as long-term leases.

I had a guest cancel for one night. I am getting $5.82 out of this reservation, because he has not canceled in the system - just told me he's not coming. Most of my fee was the cleaning fee 🙂

Jean-Louis25
Level 3
Sainte-Marie-du-Mont, France

I totally agree with your way of explaining the relation of an host to strict cancellation, and happen to be in a similar situation.

And here Airbnb message  to me adding they are refunding 100% to a guest supposed to arrive in 4 days:

"This reservation has been canceled penalty-free for both you and your guest."

Is it a joke?
Taking this money brutally away is not a penalty??
I did start studying again confident that i could support myself and my kid renting a part of my flat.
I have a strict policy because i need the small regular income ! I think solidarity should work both ways, a 50-50 split of the corona-virus damage would be fair enough specially in the case of little people like me.

Under the message there is a reply link, that does not take me to any reply possibilty!
I have the impression of having to face a deaf monster Airbnb!
How could actually contact them, see if they could stop doing this!

Agree , I’ve had lots of cancellations,  I have moderate cancellations and feel sorry for those who cannot go on a special trip and so offered other dates but felt pressured into agreeing  a refund but I have a mortgage and bills to pay . I Have kept my Airbnb sparkling and in good order . But Airbnb is giving everyone full refund , I understand it’s a very serious situation and we must all work together to solve the covid -19 break out but Airbnb should support its hosts . Help with some form of compensation. 
I may have to cancel a trip to Spain and expect to loose the money paid out already , that’s the unfortunate situation, I think. 25 %host 75 %, guest should be worked out at least .