Terrible customer service regarding COVID-19 reservations

Chelsea260
Level 1
Norwich, United Kingdom

Terrible customer service regarding COVID-19 reservations

I made a reservation on 8/03/2020 for a one night stay in May which was impacted by the current COVID-19 pandemic. I didn’t cancel my reservation because at the time there were no policies that stated I would be entitled to a refund, so I thought I would wait until more information was published. Leading up to my reservation, I messaged my host on the Airbnb website asking if they would give me a refund, they replied AFTER the reservation saying they were happy to assist with this, and that I should ring Airbnb to organise this. The day after I received this message I messaged Airbnb on the online chat system asking about this, they replied 5 days later with a link to the extenuating circumstances policy, which did not answer my question. I then sent another message to them asking for support with a refund, they replied 2 days later with instructions to cancel the booking and a step-by-step of how to do this. I replied the following day over the phone explaining that I am unable to cancel it because the trip has passed and there are no options to cancel it on the website. The man I spoke to on the phone was rude, interrupting whenever I spoke and shouted at me down the phone. He demanded ‘justification’ of why I didn’t contact Airbnb sooner when I realised I wouldn’t be able to go on the trip. I explained that I didn’t because I was waiting for further guidance, and that I had contacted both Airbnb and the host on messages and the online chat. He said I should’ve done it sooner than I did. I explained that I have been working from home full time, I am also a full time student having to complete my coursework and exams all online, as well as online lectures and seminars. I also care for vulnerable family members, volunteer for the NHS and went through bereavement due to the virus. He completely dismissed this and said that if I was in hospital or had a reason then I needed to submit proof, which is absolutely disgusting! We are ALL going through this pandemic and we are ALL impacted by it. Some of us are working from home, home-schooling our children, full time students, volunteering or supporting others, self-isolating ourselves or have lost someone due to the virus. We should not be shouted at and told we have done wrong by not asking for the refund sooner. I will be making a formal complaint against the man I spoke to on the phone and will not be using Airbnb again.

0 Replies 0