UK offer of financial support

Adrian2021
Level 2
England, United Kingdom

UK offer of financial support

The announcement  that the UK government are offering grants to self employed people who are impacted by the virus makes us wonder about Airbnb income. We have 4 years of submitted accounts and tax paid and Airbnb is 3/4 of our annual income so it really matters especially if this carries on for 3 or 6 months or even longer. Just wondered if there were others in the same position who had any thoughts.

11 Replies 11
Gordon0
Level 10
London, United Kingdom

Doesn't it depend on whether you have registered yourself as a business? I have a couple of rental properties for which I submit a tax return, but this is not the same as running a business (so I wouldn't qualify).

John1902
Level 8
Aldeburgh, United Kingdom

I'm the same. Two long term rentals and I do homestays in my home.  I can get help with the mortgages on the rentals if my tenants are in trouble, but I get nothing for my lost Airbnb income which i use to pay the bills.  However you look at it it seems we are being unfairly excluded as the only means testing to qualify for the self employed grant is Max profit of£50k. Whereas the alternative would be to by apply for universal credit but we are prevented from doing that as they include the values of the rental properties in the calculation and you inevitably fail on that one. I'm not an employee so no SSP. Seems a little unfair. You can't even phone the HMRC about it as they are saying they will contact the people that are eligible. 

Mike-And-Jane0
Level 10
England, United Kingdom

@Adrian2021 @John1902 @Gordon0 

Guys,

Do any of you have an Airbnb that is registered for Business Rates? If so there may be light at the end of the tunnel......

Not me, @Mike-And-Jane0, both my properties are on standard tenant agreements and I only Airbnb a spare room. 

No it's my home so that is effectively using the rent a room scheme on the UK income tax return.  Business rates would negate any point in me doing this!

Sunny3
Level 2
London, United Kingdom

I have just used the online tool to ask HMRC to review my eligibility for a grant through SEISS. But, you may be right Gordon0, it might depend on being registered as a business. Also, holiday/short-term letting, i.e., income from property, does not seem to fall into the category of "trade".

Tish6
Level 3
Saundersfoot, United Kingdom

I have applied through my local council website for a £10,000 grant, I let one property through airbnb for seasonal short holiday lets and meet the criteria for business rates (and 100% business rate relief). I am not registered as a business but declared the income on tax self assessment i have supplied evidence of the last 2 years income and last years total number of nights booked which is available in the Transaction History on the Progress section of your account. I believe I have met the conditions for the grant but haven’t had an answer yet from the council (patience is a virtue). I hope this info might be of use to other UK hosts. xxxx

Alex115
Level 2
Buxton, United Kingdom

In the same.boat. wrong a long reply and unexpected error deletes it all. Has anyone made aNy progress in challenging this or getting support

Tish6
Level 3
Saundersfoot, United Kingdom

Good news is I have received the £10,000 grant from the government via my local council

Sylviane13
Level 2
London, United Kingdom

Well done Tish6! I am going to try the same. It is a grant and not a loan isn't it?

Do you own your property? Best. Sylviane

Mike-And-Jane0
Level 10
England, United Kingdom

@Tish6 Great news that you got the grant - The Govt has recently updated their guidance to confirm that the grant is taxable. Ah well its still a good chunk of cash......

@Sylviane13 It is a taxable grant not a loan.