What AirBnB *SHOULD* have done - the HomeAway Covid-19 cancellation policy

Trevor243
Level 10
England, United Kingdom

What AirBnB *SHOULD* have done - the HomeAway Covid-19 cancellation policy

HomeAway have just sent an email with their cancellation policy - seems MUCH fairer than what AirBnB did to us this week ....

"In HomeAway's nearly 25 years, we’ve been through a lot, but nothing comes close to the current challenges facing our holidaymakers, partners, and team members around the world.

HomeAway is a two-sided marketplace, so for every holidaymaker who paid hard-earned money for a getaway they may not take, there is a partner who is experiencing a loss of bookings and a large number of cancellations. Despite this, the vast majority of you are rising to the occasion and giving credits and/or refunds to holidaymakers in these extreme circumstances. Thank you for exemplifying hospitality � even when it means a finnancial hardship.

Today, we are introducing our COVID-19 Emergency Policy, a series of measures designed to help navigate these extraordinary circumstances.

For our part, HomeAway is refunding 100% of the money it makes through traveller service fees when someone must cancel a trip due to COVID-19.

For your part, we ask that you handle cancellations for trips booked before March 13 with stays that fall between March 13 and April 30 in one of two ways (even if those trips are outside of your set cancellation policy):

Option 1 (Default): Offer a credit for full value and flexible stay dates within the next year (at no additional cost) to holidaymakers who can’t take trips now due to COVID-19.

Option 2: If a holidaymaker is unwilling to accept a credit, we advise you to issue them a refund. If you are unable to accommodate a full refund, HomeAway expects you to provide at least a 50% refund if the holidaymaker cancels during this time.

Our intent is to reward HomeAway partners who offer holidaymakers flexibility during this time of uncertainty with additional visibility in holidaymaker searches on HomeAway and Expedia Group. The idea is that the more you do now for holidaymakers, the more we will reward you moving forward (so a 100% credit/refund will count more than 50% refund and so on).

Here’s more on what HomeAway is doing as part of our COVID-19 Emergency Policy:

Full Refund of HomeAway’s Fees: HomeAway is refunding 100% of the money it makes through traveller service fees when someone must cancel a trip due to COVID-19, whether the cancellation is government-mandated or not. This goes into effect for all stays booked before March 13 with a night between 13th March and 30th April. Holidaymakers don’t have to do anything to collect the refund; it will happen automatically over the next few weeks. They do not need to call and confirm.

Rolling Out Automated Refunds: Our teams are also working to make refunds and date changes to bookings easier for you. Details on this new process will be communicated in the coming days, so we ask that you wait to call our Customer Service line until that happens. We acknowledge that credits for future dates will be administered between our partners and holidaymakers, so we only ask that your teams acknowledge the arrangement in writing � ideally via our secure messaging system.

Automatically Waiving Related Cancellation Penalties: If you need to cancel due to this event, we will automatically waive the cancellation so it does not impact your ranking metrics. You no longer have to call Customer Service to get the cancellation waived, just select COVID-19 as the cancellation reason code and refund at the minimum 50% to be eligible.

The new policy we are implementing is not perfect, but in this unprecedented time we believe it strikes the best balance of protecting holidaymakers, partners, and the public. I am sure many of you have questions. We primarily want you to understand the spirit of how we hope to address this situation. Please review our help portal and Discovery Hub for the most up-to-date information. These resources will be updated every 48 hours with new information.

We have been in contact with thousands of you in the past days and I am humbled by your willingness to rise to the occasion and appreciate your sacrifices.

The skies will clear and families will want to travel again. We will be there with open arms to provide spaces to heal and recharge when this is over.

With admiration and appreciation for your partnership,

Jeff
President, HomeAway "

2 Replies 2
Lisa1222
Level 3
Dublin, OH

Wow, so thoughtful, mature, and strikes a balance leaving it up to us. So different from Airbnb

Kalika0
Level 2
Bailey, CO

Thank you for that.  I have been so loyal to airbnb, never trying any of the others for travel or hosting.  I have never missed a super host since I started in 2015.  They have always thanked me when I would go out of my way to help the guest even once helping the guest cancel after they had arrived because they didn't know a basement would have stairs (???)  I have been so kind to the guests, as I felt I was representing airbnb and always wanted to give them a good name.  In that spirit I have the flexible cancelation policy on all 4 of my listings.  But now their loyalty to me is 25% of NOTHING!!!!  How do I live on that???   It seems that Home Away is rewarding that kindness where airbnb is punishing it.   Whats that about??