Winter Release Q&A with Airbnb’s Christy Schrader

Winter Release Q&A session

1 star review left from a Guest that never arrived or checked in

Answered!
Amalia133
Level 3
Athens, Greece

1 star review left from a Guest that never arrived or checked in

I would love to hear from everyone on how to handle this situation.  I will try to make a long story short.  A guest booked last minute which I was able to accommodate.  The next day there was a knock on the door and a girl was at the door who I believed to be the guest. I addressed her by the first name, Christina. And she told me that she is not Christina but rather the makeup artist.  I told her Christina had not arrived. She asked if she could wait in the apartment and I told her she could not until the actually booked guest arrived.  Ten minutes later another knock on the door with another 2 people.  Both were not Christina.  They requested to wait in the apartment and again I explained I could not until the registered guest arrived.  

At this point, I called Airbnb Europe and was guided by the Call Centre attendant on what to do.

There were 2 more knocks on the door with a total of another 7 people.  All models, photographers and makeup artists.

They all asked for entry to the apartment and I explained that the property rules and insurance are like that of a hotel.  The registered guest must register and arrive for check-in otherwise I can not let them enter.

Christina never called or contacted me in any way and never checked in.

The Call Centre Jose recommended that to Airbnb that the payment was due as it was a no show.  All the while I was following his instructions and that of Airbnb.

Christina left a review giving me 1 star for everything, including location, cleanliness, communication etc.  And this review has been allowed to stay by Airbnb Call Centre when I called to dispute.  How can someone give me 1 star when in her own words she never gained access to the apartment. How can the foot of the Acropolis get 1 star when it is what is described in the listing. In her review, she says that I screamed at her but I have never met her and in her words, she admits to never telling me that her stay was for commercial usage and not a traditional guest experience.

And yet Airbnb will not remove part or any of this review.  This is extremely unfair given that I have all 5-star reviews. And it is extremely disappointing that they allow a lack of some fairness.  If in the review the guest says she never saw the property then how can she be allowed to rate it?

I would love to hear from more seasoned Hosts.  

"We never managed to get into the house because the hostess didn’t let us. We wanted the house so our models (2) could change so we can have a streetstyle photoshooting in Plaka. Our mistake was that we didn’t exactly told her the use of the property but we never ever experienced something like that before. The previous day we booked another apartment in the center of Athens for the same use and the host was very kind and helpful. On the other hand this hostess was shouting at us and told us to leave even though we told her that if the cost was more we were happy to pay. She kept shouting and we left and never received a refund."

Top Answer

@Amalia133  if so, no problem, delete the listing and make a new one 🙂

24 Replies 24

@Amalia133  The review doesn't appear to violate the content policy, even if the guest was lying about the shouting.  In 2017, Airbnb was required by a UK regulator to allow reviews for same-day cancellations and, and that policy still applies globally and extends to no-show guests. https://www.theguardian.com/technology/2017/jul/27/airbnb-agrees-reviews-loophole-intervention-cma-r...

I don't think there's any good reason to censor the written review -  it might even help you if it deters further attempts to use your home for commercial purposes. But I agree that it's unfair for the star ratings to be included in your averages. It's long been my position that Airbnb should exclude star ratings from the review when the stay is cancelled, because even if the text is accurate, the ratings are irrelevant. But my personal opinion doesn't count for anything at Airbnb; retaliatory ratings are just a hassle hosts have to live with if they list here.

I do understand but the reservation wasn't cancelled and I did not give the apartment to anyone else.  The Guest never checked in and never communicated.  But by not checking in then a review of cleanliness, or location can not be deemed true.

Hi @Amalia133 

This is the valid point of statement to the public response, 

‘ the guest not checking in then a review of cleanliness, or location can not be deemed true’ 

@Amalia133  you are 100% right and what you say it's logic and common sense. But, this is Airbnb.

To make things even more unlogical - Airbnb doesn't even allow third-party bookings, except commercial but there is a special procedure for such bookings.

So, it's a catch22 , if you don't let them in - you are guilty, if you let them in and they damage things - you are guilty and ABB will not pay for the damage....

If you browse this CC you will find numerous posts like yours.

You can reply to their review, make it brief, unemotional, and factual. Remember, your future prospective guests will read it.

I find that many guests don't read the reviews initially. They only see the initial rating and then decide whether to click on the listing.  I currently have 4 properties that I host all in Athens Centre. This was the very first review for the grandest of the 4 properties and it's perhaps why it is so annoying and unfair.

@Amalia133 

I doubt that it may also be a third-party booking.

Airbnb does NOT allow third-party bookings. They require the person who made the booking to be the person staying at the property. You must be aware that Airbnb's insurance policy does not cover third-party bookings.

You may consider red flag the guest profile, report to Airbnb. 

I got  a very  bad review  from a guest who never entered  the house. She was booked  in by her auntie  she said. Nevertheless  the auntie  who was absent  did the review. I am just wondering  who is third  party.  In another  episode  an agent I suppose  booked  two groups  in my place. When  we communicated we found  out the mix up from his side. He was a good  guy but I am curious  if he was third party.

@Amalia133  if so, no problem, delete the listing and make a new one 🙂

Brilliant! I never thought of that!

@Amalia133  Even though the review will stay under your profile it will not show under your new listing. Guests barely read the listing’s description so it will not deter them from booking your new property and that’s important

Hi @Amalia133 

Be mindful, simply deletermine and deative the listing and depulicate a new listing is violate Airbnb housing standard.

Beside, the fair review will still appear on your profile

@Amalia133 I HATE that Airbnb does this. I often wonder what would happen if you (a host) gave the guest a 1 star for cleanliness, communication, and observation of house rules as a default because you never actually hosted them. If the guest called to complain would Airbnb remove the review because it doesn't make any sense? Something tells me they would.

This is just the point.  I was not allowed to review the guest! I was only allowed to respond to their review which seems to break every fairness rule that I know. Especially given that Hosts provide their properties, take risks and for most that I know, work closely within the Airbnb Rules.

I have read ALL the rules that Airbnb has regarding this and many other rules and nowhere does it say that Airbnb will only allow one party to leave a review.