14 Five Star Reviews and I get this message...

Laura2592
Level 10
Frederick, MD

14 Five Star Reviews and I get this message...

"Hi Laura-- thanks for asking about snacks for our stay. There will be 3 of us, maybe 4 if our daughter at McDaniel is free to join us for part of the time. Two of us are gluten free/celiac and 2 of us are vegetarian. Though wine seems fun, we don’t normally drink alcohol. Looking forward to a fun weekend and clear cool days!"

Reservation is for 2 for 2 nights. This person has 14 five star reviews. She did not disclose until the day before the stay that she is possibly doubling the numbers. She didn't ask either. Its obviously assumed she can bring whoever. We state this clearly and re-iterate it as well.

I asked her to update the reservation. She did and is now complaining about the extra charge which "seems substantial." It does seem to have a pretty substantial fee attached. For her reservation (and she only updated for 3 people, AND has booked at an old rate, so its $20 per person per night for 2 nights) she got charged $48 extra. We got $38. I just said "really?! Wow, that isn't what we see on our end. ABB does add fees unfortunately."

Seriously after THIS many stays she should know better. But I am sure she will be difficult now.  You can't win. 

76 Replies 76
Kelly149
Level 10
Austin, TX

It always surprises me when guests think that they're king of the mountain at OUR HOUSES. Ummm, excuse me, didn't your mother teach you to ask nice, bc guess what, I own the place and you are a GUEST!

Customers may always be right, but Guests need to mind their manners.

Same thing happened here this summer when a local guest was getting haughty about hosting a 1 YOs bday party, at my house, instead of THEIR house and then once I cancelled them with a "I'm sure you'll find a place that is a better fit for what you need" they proceeded to have a fit about all their plans being RUINED, RUINED, RUINED. Bullet dodged indeed.

@Kelly149  This new phenomenon of throwing a major party for a 1 year old is one of the weirdest things I've run across ( that and gender reveal parties). It's not about the kid, it's all about the parents. A one year old has no idea what's going on, has no idea it's his birthday, and babies that age normally don't do well with tons of people and commotion around. Nor do babies that age really play with other kids. Shortly after taking the cute photos of the baby with cake smeared all over its face, baby will start to get cranky, overstimulated and have a meltdown. 

In the case of your cancelled guests, it sounds like the parents had the emotional maturity of a one year old.