206 5-star ratings and one 4-star = 4.99???

Patrick1040
Level 3
Seattle, WA

206 5-star ratings and one 4-star = 4.99???

I would love to have our listing just say 5 star, rather than 4.99. Seems a little odd for a prospective guest to see that weird number. While I get congratulations on my performance page, and my overall rating is 5 star, guests just see that 4.99.  Might as well say 4.995169082125604, which would be more accurate.

Can we just say 5 and call it good? (That one 4-star review was actually a great review. Not clear why they picked 4...)

Cheers,

A host striving for perfection 🙂

6 Replies 6
Suzie96
Level 2
Boothbay Harbor, ME

Hi Patrick!

I completely agree, as the same thing happened to me. The review was decent, he asked for a discount which I could not accommodate, so he booked just the same and gave me 4 stars for the value! Took me down to 4.99 and it takes forever to get the rating back to 5.  That was the only review that I ever had in 5 yrs that was under 5 stars.  He was disgruntled from the beginning because I did not give him a discount , totally not fair.  I am slowly getting more disappointed with Airbnb in more ways than one.  

Hi Suzie,

Kinda thought someone from the Airbnb team might weigh in. I know it's not the biggest issue in the world. But it is weird that Airbnb tells me my rating is 5, and tells guests something different... I guess I'll submit a help request - I'll let you know what happens...

Patrick

Clay
Airbnb Staff
Airbnb Staff
SF, CA

Hi @Patrick1040 and @Suzie96 - this is great feedback and I'm forwarding it along to the proper team to see if I can get an answer. It does seem like 4.99 should have been rounded up to 5.0, but I'm not 100% sure right now whether the denominator is ALL reviews ever, or if it has some cutoff after X years.

Will reply here when I've gotten clarification.

Thank you for being such an outstanding host!

Gerald-And-Eva0
Level 2
Los Angeles, CA

We have the same issue.

Can’t wait to hear back with a solution from Airbnb.

I also raised the issue with the help center and basically got a "that's the way the system works" response. I said I understood that, but the "system" was also showing me 5 star rating on my stats page. I got the response that this was the recent 90 day number used for Super Host status. Of course, I then pointed out it says "Overall Rating" not "Last Quarter Rating" and that there's a whole separate page for Super Host status which shows the last quarter rating. Anyway, since I wouldn't give up (in a friendly way), the agent said he would bump it to a supervisor. Still waiting on that... 🙂

I'd be happy if they just showed the guest that 5 stars and showed me the number with the decimal points and the number of reviews at each level. The "system" can be programmed to show the guest a number which is rounded to something that isn't so odd, like 4.99.

My 2 cents...

Kathryn83
Level 2
Sunshine Coast, Australia

I have a similar problem in that all reviews for the past three years have been 5 star and I received a 4 star review 2 years ago. It appears that I am stuck on that 4.97 rating no matter how hard I try to keep the 5 star momentum going.  I contacted the support center but received no clear answer on that.