Announcements

Winter Release Q&A with Airbnb’s Christy Schrader

Winter Release Q&A session

A "community of kindness"

Peter1
Host Advisory Board Alumni
SF, CA

A "community of kindness"

New York Times columnist Thomas Freidman, recently wrote extensively about Airbnb's efforts to help Ukraine and the hosting community's response in booking stays and experiences as a way of sending funds to Ukrainian Hosts in need. 

He described the connections they create as a "community of kindness."  I can think of no better way to describe the Hosting community:

"Many of the Ukrainian hosts who have received these booking-donations have written back to the donors, forging new friendships and enabling foreigners to understand the impact of this war much more deeply. There is nothing like personally communicating with people in Ukraine who are hiding in their basement, while you are explaining why you are happy to rent that basement but never use it. It creates a community of kindness that alone cannot defeat Putin’s tanks, but it can help buttress those determined to resist them by reminding them that they are not alone — Putin is."

Read Freidman's column here: https://nyti.ms/367ZlbM

9 Replies 9
Christine1
Level 10
Glenbrook, Australia

I checked to select an established regular host who has been open for a while. I sent a personal message and said when she was away from her home, she was allowing other displaced persons to stay there instead.  So it's part of a chain of giving and support. 

Regards. Christine 

Susan653
Level 10
Groton, CT

I made reservations with notes of support for listings Kyiv, Kharkiv, and Zaporizhzhia.  The host in Kharkiv managed to get out of the country with her daughter, and she’s sharing her Airbnb proceeds with others from her community. These were just 1-2 night reservations, (all I can afford at the moment), but the hosts were so appreciative and full of hope for better days to come.

My kids think I’m crazy, but another thing I did was write “Support Ukraine” on my back windshield in chalk marker, along with a list of organizations + web addresses (International Red Cross, etc.) for human and animal aid. I figured it can’t hurt to put resources right in front of people’s eyes in traffic, the supermarket parking lot, etc. I’ve done it before during election season w/voter registration info. If even one person is called to action, it’s worth it.

Linda146
Level 2
Santa Rosa, CA

How do i find a host and guests

@Linda146 search for a property in Ukraine 

Laurelle3
Level 10
Huskisson, Australia

@Peter1 I think this is a wonderful way of Airbnb  hosts to share what we have to other host who are experiencing something that none of us "Ever" want to experience. If our small act of kindness helps another,, I feel that we are sharing ourselves in an act of humanity for another.

Nina1276
Level 3
Kherson, Ukraine

Hello everyone. I am from Ukraine, the city of Kherson. When I received the booking, I could not believe that there are people who are so far away and worry about people from Ukraine as if they were their own. It's just incredible. Thank you very much. There are not many bookings, but I have neighbors are pensioners, I always help them with food, and feed the dogs on the street. Thank you very much. You are the best.

Добрый вечер!

Меня зовут Дятлов Владимир. Я из Украины, Одесса. Суперхозяин Марат по телефону связался со мной и сказал, что объявление в обработке и скоро опубликуется.  

Две недели не публикуют мое объявление!

Обман?

В каком то месте на сайте я прочитал, что эта площадка не для сбора пожертвований!

Может быть кто-то поможет новичку?

vorota01@gmail.com

С уважением, Владимир.

P.S.

К сожалению ограничен во времени. Ночные патрулирования. Днём - волонтёрская работа.

Заранее благодарен.

Good evening!

My name is Vladimir Dyatlov. I am from Ukraine, Odessa. Superhost Marat contacted me by phone and said that the listing is being processed and will be published soon.  

They haven't published my listing for two weeks!

Deception?

Somewhere on the site I read that this site is not for collecting donations!

Maybe someone can help a newbie?

** personal details hidden **

With best regards, Vladimir.

P.S.

Unfortunately limited in time. Night patrols. During the day, volunteer work.

Thanks in advance.

Две недели не публикуют мое объявление.

В каком-то месте на сайте я  прочитал, что эта площадка не для сбора пожертвований.

(почему-то изменился смысл нескольких предложений после публикации).

They haven't published my listing for two weeks.

Somewhere on the site I read that this site is not for collecting donations.

(for some reason, the meaning of several sentences has changed after publication).

Quincy
Community Manager
Community Manager
London, United Kingdom

Hi @Владимир52! I am sorry to hear that your listings have not been published. If you are in need of urgent support yourself, or know someone who does, please head over to this page for further help.

Stay safe 🇺🇦

-----

Please follow the Community Guidelines // Volg de communityrichtlijnen