AIR Bnb cancelled my trip to Toronto

Bryant52
Level 1
Woodbridge, VA

AIR Bnb cancelled my trip to Toronto

In May 2022, I booked a three bedroom condo in downtown Toronto for a trip that was going to take place July 8th - 10th (three days). I paid half of the deposit and the other half was due on June 23rd, 2022. Today, on the 23rd, AIR bnb sends me a message stating that a full refund is being provided because the reservation was cancelled. Apparently, AIR bnb is stating that Toronto has enacted some policy of restricting "short term visitors" to their country even though they have relaxed COVID-19 restrictions for entering in the country. Has anyone heard anything like this happening??

4 Replies 4
Annie1372
Level 10
Montreal, Canada

@Bryant52 

I am from Québec but I have not hear that Toronto was on lockdown or anything recasted with restricted short term visitor.

i’m sorry it happened to you

Annie
Helen3
Level 10
Bristol, United Kingdom

maybe The host didn't have a license from Toronto to operate an STR @Bryant52 

Charlotte1021
Level 2
Toronto, Canada

I am a host in Toronto and a number of us have had our reservations cancelled today by AirBnB. I've been on the phone and messaging platform with AirBnB and the City to figure out why.

For me, at least, it was my Short Term Rental (STR) information did not match what was on AirBnB. They do, btw. I've checked w/ the City as well as my AirBnB account to show that they do in fact match. I resubmitted my same information and my listing went live again. But this appears to be an issue many Toronto hosts/guests have had in the past: https://community.withairbnb.com/t5/Help/Airbnb-keeps-canceling-our-guests-bookings/m-p/1615029

In addition, AirBnB will not auto-rebook my cancelled guests. I've been trying to send out invites to get my original guests to rebook, while fending off the dates from new guests (who are all madly rebooking places because their spots were cancelled on them) as each request blocks my calendar from those dates. 

I've been sitting at my computer for hours because of this. It is a disaster and it is absurd that this has been going on for months (at least from what I could find in that previous post).

Thanks Charlotte. That is exactly what happened in my case but air bnb did a horrible job of explaining it. If it wasn't for the host reaching out to me directly, I wouldn't have gotten the issue resolved and rebooked my trip. It took about four hours to get this finally resolved and confirmed by air bnb that they would not cancel it again.