ANZAC DAY - Covid19 style: on balconies, in driveways........

Cathie19
Level 10
Darwin, Australia

ANZAC DAY - Covid19 style: on balconies, in driveways........

810F4A05-FBE0-45C1-B347-00FA8C79EE56.jpegFor non-antipodean folk on this forum, of which there are many, April 25th is an important commemorative day in both Australia &  New Zealand. It is ANZAC Day.

For those not in “the know”,  ANZAC stands for Australia and New Zealand Army Corp, which served together in the First World War.

Today, the modern commemoration is honouring all who have fought or participated in defence forces across all campaigns including those peace keeping and active wars. Not a celebration of war, rather a recognition of their individual sacrifice.

Normally there are very big dawn services and  gatherings across towns and cities at local cenotaphs and important historical sites, including Gallipoli in Turkey. We celebrate on the day, 

never the nearest weekend.....

One thing that we still still eat and bake, are ANZAC biscuits. These were traditionally sent to soldiers in care packs in World War One, as they kept fairly fresh as they travelled by sea. 

The minute silence at dawn, whilst the Last Post is played by a trumpeter, is spine chilling...

The Ode

They shall grow not old, as we that are left grow old;
Age shall not weary them, nor the years condemn.
At the going down of the sun and in the morning
We will remember them.

Lest We Forget.

(The Ode comes from For the Fallen, a poem by the English poet and writer Laurence Binyon and was published in London in The Winnowing Fan: Poems of the Great War in 1914. This verse, which became the Ode for the Returned and Services League, has been used in association with commemoration services in Australia since 1921.)

FYI:

ANZAC history:

https://www.awm.gov.au/Anzacathome/Anzac-traditions

Covid19 dawn driveway service

https://www.abc.net.au/news/2020-04-11/anzac-day-around-australia-during-coronavirus-restrictions/12...

Maybe some fellow Aussies and Kiwis may like to tell us their favourite biscuit recipe ......

Let the oats fly and the golden syrup drizzle...

I’ve found the biscuits are generally enjoyed when left in a jar for guests. Especially Aussie guests with kids! Lol.

30 Replies 30
Cathie19
Level 10
Darwin, Australia

AE90F250-B180-4475-B764-3E7EBDCC8BEC.jpeg

Let the oats fly and the golden syrup drizzle...ANZAC biscuits are a must!ANZAC biscuits are a must!

Ria16
Level 10
Northland, New Zealand

@Cathie19  I didn’t have Golden Syrup and so substituted Maple Syrup which was a little different but not too shabby 😉 

Yes we will be out at dawn to honour those no longer here.  
‘onya’

Francesca
Former Community Manager
Former Community Manager
London, United Kingdom

Hey @Cathie19 in Italy it is an important date too: it is considered the day that the country was freed from nazi-fascism. It's a big celebration (and bank-holiday)in Italy too!

Hey, hai un dubbio o una domanda?

Pubblicala cliccando >>QUI<< troveremo la risposta insieme.

Dai un’occhiata alla nostra netiquette, le

Linee guida della community

@Francesca , that’s a great reason to celebrate!  👏🏼👏🏼👏🏼👏🏼

@Francesca

How do you commemorate this day?

Haha re Bank holidays in Italy!

Do they still have them regularly?

One thing I loved in Italy was the architecture of Banks and afternoon seistas...even though I was only there a few days.

One of our local banks is only open once  a week on a Wednesday for 3-4 hours during lockdown which brings back memories of how those before us lived.

Hope you are keeping well @Francesca

during there's challenging times 

Sally221
Level 10
Berkeley, CA

And here in California at least, it's Earth Day! Have a lovely holiday all!

Hi @Sally221 . Earth day for us in Australia was yesterday, Wednesday 22nd April. But the nearest weekend is when other associated events usually take place.

However, I can’t help but feel that Mother Earth is currently really pissed off with the human race at the moment. Sending us all to the “naughty corner” till we agree to come out and play nicely with all other species, but mainly to be kinder to the earth 🌍 in general. 

Kath9
Level 10
Albany, Australia

@Cathie19, thanks for the timely reminder. The ode always makes me cry. Anzac Day is an important day here. @Sally221 it is not a 'holiday' nor is it a celebration. It is a day of commemoration and reflection on the horrors of war and the sacrifices that have been made.

25 April 2015 waa the day the Anzacs landed in Gallipoli in Turkey, a campaign that resulted in one of the greatest losses of Aussie/Kiwi lives of WWI. Today, Australians and New Zealanders still travel to Gallipoli on Anzac Day to commemorate alongside the Turks (whom they fought against in WWI).

@Cathie19 you may know that Albany is Anzac central - it was from here that all the troops and their horses set sail for Europe. The National Anzac Centre is walking distance from my home and spectacularly overlooks the harbour from which the troops set sail. We have here a statue of Atataturk, the Turkish commander during WWI and later the first president of Turkey, inscribed with his famous words:

Those heroes that shed their blood and lost their lives ... You are now lying in the soil of a friendly country. Therefore rest in peace. There is no difference between the Johnnies and the Mehmets to us where they lie side by side here in this country of ours ... You, the mothers who sent their sons from faraway countries, wipe away your tears; your sons are now lying in our bosom and are in peace. After having lost their lives on this land they have become our sons as well.

I'll be standing on my driveway at dawn this Saturday. 

Sally221
Level 10
Berkeley, CA

I never learned about ANZAC day in school, only because of the song "And the band played waltzing Matilda" made me want to learn more. Thank you for sharing Ataturk's words. All those young men who never grew old, they deserve to be remembered with quiet sorrow, not blaring parades.

@Sally221 another song that always makes me cry. 

Lovely commemorative post, Cathie @Cathie19   The poem 'Lest We Forget' gives us some understanding of how much of a sacrifice it was for all those young men who fought and died in the Dardanelles. My grandfather was in Gallipoli for a time then transferred to Sevastopol, I think.  He didn't fight as he was a member of the band/orchestra which rallied the troups during the day & delivered messages, then serenaded the officers of an evening (!) So, one of the lucky ones... Vassilis & I traveled to Gallipoli ( and Cannakkale on the opposite shore where Vassili's great grandfather had a greengrocers' ) a few years ago so it was like a pilgrimage for both of us. A very poignant moving experience.

To celebrate and remember, I'm going to try to make your ANZAC biscuits. Don't have any golden or maple syrup, would honey work, do you think ? 

Once again, thanks for this.

@Βασίλης-and-Ann0 

What an incredible experience to undertake.

I recall when Attica had those dreadful fires I looked up the history of the region in Papers Past NZ and they had a most incredible story how in the late 1800's the forest burnt and up popped a field of white poppies.

At some stage, maybe in an earlier war, someone must have had white poppies growing that became dormant until the pines burnt down.

I wonder if there's other parts of Greece, and around the world where similar things have taken place.

Maybe try look in your archived newspapers, if they are online, to see if you can find more about your grandfather.

Have a look through our archivesto as they have the world history back to the 1800's in them and much about the wars and Peace commemorations.

Thanks, Helen,

@Helen427  I will take a look at those files, as you mentioned. I would love to know more about my grandfather's life.

Awwhh !

It's often a pity, don't you think that when we're young we never ask our relatives enough questions about their lives, so we end up with snatches of conversation. We never realise how important those conversations and lives were, until it's too late.

Love the idea of Teddy bears as a symbol. My old Teddy, Toffee, is sitting here next to me looking a bit tattered and torn but still with a lovely smile.

Great to read the other snippets of info you sent, too. You are a mine of facts and treasures...  love it  😉

It's a pleasure @Βασίλης-and-Ann0 

Much of what I pass on has been passed on to me through those who are now passed away.

We are blessed to have had sage souls before us in the world who in much more challenging times than we are living in their wisdom kept journals, wrote newsworthy stories, took incredible photographs with Box Brownie cameras, printed them with glass plates and ensured copies of those newspapers and records are archived in our National Library of NZ.

Thanks to what we call modern technology we have them published for all to read online.

I unfortunately didn't get to met to many of my relations growing up and never got to met my grandparents in person as they lived in Europe and passed away before I had a chance to met them.

I do however recall many a hand written letter & cards on birthdays & Christmas and stories about their European lives & holidays...

I also recall my parents story how they traveled by boat for at least 6 weeks to get to New Zealand as it was the way most people traveled prior to airline travel becoming prevalent and affordable. 

There's many people in the world who I'm sure are reflecting on such times at the moment who are feeling very displaced with the current unfortunate situation we find ourselves in.

ANZAC Commemorations at Gallipoli have been a little different for us all this year.