Advice on how to review this guest

Marissa160
Level 10
Dallas, TX

Advice on how to review this guest

Starting a new thread for this issue so I can decide how to review this guest. Any advice is welcome! 

1. against my gut feeling, let a guy book who just seemed “weird”. Asked the same questions over and over, asked a lot of questions about the hot tub we have, location, etc. no reviews, new to airbnb but that hasn’t been an issue for me until now. 

2. his stay begins and he just bombards me with questions: what kind of coffee do I provide, how much firewood do I provide for the fire pit (it’s 100 degrees here), can he check in early, etc. 

3. day 2- asks me to deliver hot tub shock to him because HE got it dirty. I decline.  The next morning (early) he is telling me the temp is low (they must have turned it down to swim) and now it won’t heat up. Doesn’t complain about it per se, but these are all issues he caused. 

4. check out- broken toilet paper holder, light cover on a large light fixture is hanging off, coffee machine is broken. We have a locked cabinet in our kitchen that we keep snacks for the guest. We only set out a small basket for each guest. Our cleaner accidentally left the key in it and they ATE/TOOK all but one snack. Same with the firewood, took it all except one piece. 

bottom line, this is not a guest that other hosts would want. He over communicated with me UNTIL it was time to notify me of the broken items. I had a bad feeling about him from the start and I should have listened to it. But lesson learned! Please help with the review as I know I need to stay factual and concise. Thank you!! 

23 Replies 23
Dora486
Level 10
Frigiliana, Spain

I’m loving the better suited to a hotel review!  Any other similar phrases?

@Dora486 be careful with that. Guests have been successful in getting that removed as it does not provide enough detail. Its a long term host code for pain in the butt, but ABB no longer likes it 😉

Do you think they would like 'buffalos'?  ( imagine the aftermath) 

Dora486
Level 10
Frigiliana, Spain

That’s a pity.   Not had to do any negative reviews yet, but think one looming, hey ho!

@Dora486 just be straightforward: there is no need for coded reviews. You don't need to go into deep detail (and don't mention drinking, drug use, or bodily fluids or your review will be pulled by Ajrbnb), but be factual. Don't write a review while you're mad: wait a few days, if need be. 

Some useful (non-coded) phrases:

- The space required more cleaning than usual after this guest's departure.

- The guest didn't review the information provided so they had a lot of additional questions. 

- Communication was difficult. 

- I wouldn't host this guest again. 

Hal3292
Level 9
Bluefield, WV

@Marissa160When we have guests do something similar to what you mentioned (turn down the hot tub temp, then complain that it's low), I add a line to the page of instructions that I leave inside the place for each guest. I.e., "Feel free to turn down the hot tub temperature, but be aware that it may take considerable time to heat back up."  Once we had guests who messaged us about how to turn off the ceiling fans. For future guests, I added the line: "The ceiling fans stay on all the time and are part of the heating and cooling systems." I like @Kevin1322 "better suited to a hotel" and also Laura's line, "Not a guest we consider a good fit for our space." I also think Colleen has some great phrasing: "hosting X was extremely costly in more ways than I can relate." I'm going to remember that one! (Hopefully I'll never need to use it...." 

Brian2036
Level 10
Arkansas, United States

Perhaps “This guest appeared to expect concierge services which we regretfully cannot provide.”

Leiloni0
Level 4
Murrieta, CA

I get how hard bad reviews can be. I struggle with them myself. As a host, I do appreciate when past hosts are honest. You don’t have to get into specifics. There is certain verbiage that will alert other hosts of problems without getting getting you sued or in trouble with Air BNB. Just be honest. Other hosts will thank you for it. 

Check out Monday, let’s see how that goes.