Announcements

Winter Release Q&A with Airbnb’s Christy Schrader

Winter Release Q&A session

Airbnb Allows Racist Retaliatory Review To Stand

Julieanna0
Level 10
San Antonio, TX

Airbnb Allows Racist Retaliatory Review To Stand

Once again, I am OUTRAGED at @Airbnb and their unbelievable lack of care for hosts, however, for people in general.  I had a guest who for whatever reason, (in spite of a special video that goes out in my welcome message), broke a vertical blind off the track.  At first, I didn't see it and inquired as to what had happened to it.  Of course, he denied any wrong-doing and said it was that way when he arrived.  I do a video walk-through of my guest suite prior to all guests' arrivals, so had proof that this was not the case.  I can't replace one vertical slat anymore as the blinds are too old.  I thought I was going to have to replace the entire set.  He accused me of accusing all of my guests of stealing to make extra money.  Prior to his retaliatory review, I had a 4.99 rating.  

I eventually found the vertical slat in the corner,--which was the best case scenario as I can replace the track the slats go into, however, I can't replace the blinds.  Even still, it was very puzzling as to how this slat which has a METAL reinforcement on the top of it, was able to be detached from the track.  In the meantime, this guest sent "joker" emojis and in general, caused me to feel enough discomfort that I did not pursue an open case for repair.  I noticed he has been staying at other Airbnb's in my same neighborhood, and based on the things he stated, he honestly believes he should be above consequences.  

As soon as I asked about the blind, he filed a case, (asking  ME for monetary compensation), against me claiming he had been burned in my shower while staying with me and was extremely uncomfortable, with no consistent internet service, etc.  His entire behavior was so narcissistic that I felt genuinely frightened.  

I asked Airbnb what could be done about retaliatory reviews and they assured me that they would take care of it.  However, once the review was published, they said it didn't violate any of their policies.  So, just so everyone knows, this man called me a "Karen."  The definition of a Karen is an aggressive, racist, minivan-driving, white mom who engages in racist acts.  

"In 2020, Karen spread as a label used to call out white women who were captured in viral videos engaging in what are widely seen as racist acts.  White women in viral videos—engaging in what was criticized as selfish or racist behavior—were shamed as Karens."

FACT:  @Airbnb is just fine with someone calling me a racist person who engages in selfish, racist behavior, something which is absolutely NOT true.  I am absolutely beyond the word OUTRAGED that as a Super Host who has opened my home to people all over the world, from all nationalities, ethnicities, genders, and origins, they're perfectly okay with letting this stand.  

How many other people have had experiences like this?  

Julieanna
30 Replies 30
Mike-And-Jane0
Top Contributor
England, United Kingdom

@Julieanna0 I guess it was only his response to your review that broke the guidelines. Perhaps time to move on? With gritted teeth of course