Airbnb Plus

Answered!

Airbnb Plus

Just listened to the new updates for Airbnb on their FB Live and feel discouraged as a Host.

I don't have an emaculately designed modern home with features that "WOW" guests. I have a humble space for budget seeking travelers in a very expensive city (San Francisco).

Is Airbnb weeding people out instead of including everyone?

1 Best Answer
Oomesh-Kumarsingh0
Level 10
Pamplemousses, Mauritius

@Angela608 Airbnb plus is probably design for the big hotels and real estate agents who have been on the network for quite a long time appearing like casual hosts so i guess this will now make them standout.I totally agree with you it is unfair for the genuine home owners.Good luck!!!

View Best Answer in original post

213 Replies 213
Alexandra316
Level 10
Lincoln, Canada

@Angela608 Yes as a non-luxury host, I felt like they might be trying to squeeze us out. I'm not really sure what to say. Not feeling great about it right now. I can Superhost my heart out, but I'm never going to be Airbnb Plus material.

Yes! I feel excluded! I am never going to be Airbnb Plus material either.

Robin4
Level 10
Mount Barker, Australia

@Angela608 

Don't feel excluded, don't down rate yourself...you are a Superhost...just keep doing what you are doing. This is another company initiative that is principally designed to increase the company's bottom line.....money!

Last June 2017 I was offered an invitation to join the 'Select' program which was being trialed and as it was called then.

I declined that offer!

Although technically my listing meets the 100 requirements and more from free WiFi to a personal washing machine. But, nowhere in those requirements does it list an extra length bed with electric motors for lift, tilt and massage function.....but this is what I offer. Nowhere does it list in those requirements a complimentary $40 cheese plate with nuts and crackers and a beer and cider in the fridge for each and every guest.....but I do. Nowhere does it list the property must have (apart from full air conditioining) a fully ducted ironsing air filtration system to keep the air quality pollen, smoke and alergy free.....but I do. 

I declined to be involved because the philosophy behind Airbnb was to provide an affordable clean comfortable home away from home for travellers. The founders of this company kicked off by throwing a couple of air matresses in an unused loft...they did not start off with a plate of hourve d'oeuvres at the front door to welcome guests!

When you suggest something is going to be 'better', you are going to raise peoples expectations. There will be many properties like yours and mine Angela, where we do not offer an 'endless swimmer' outside the patio door....we do not offer a manicured 18 hole golf course through that gate in the back fence! But we don't charge for it, and that is the bottom line and what will keep that stream of guests coming....did it represent value for money!

It has been my experience that the less a guest expects, the more they will be delighted with what they get.

Do I want to get involved with 'hagglers' for whom nothing is good enough...who feel the listing was not up to expectation, who consider they paid more for your property because they wanted something 'plus'...out of the ordinary?.....no way Jose!!!

Angela, I am proud of what I do, I am proud of what I offer...I am a Superhost and that is not an award given to me by the company! That is an award given to me by my guests.

Do I need to do anything better? Once again....no way Jose!

You Angela are the backbone of Airbnb, you just keep doing what you are doing and your guests will continue to come.

You mark my words if Airbnb find that this 'Plus' program is leading to conflict and having a negative effect on their host base, they will dump it like yesterdays pizza!

Cheers.....Rob

We never have a leftover pizza, but I think I'd probably eat it before I'd toss it. <]:O)

Thank you,Rob,

for this excellent response.

I agree fully with you.

We have been working with Airbnb for over five years and have reached Superhost status twice,losing it twice!

We enjoy doing Airbnb. The original goals convinced me. The new ones do not.

Rosalind.

Madrid, Spain

Thank you for your message, Rob. 

I have been quite frustrated and disheartened by the Airbnb Plus. I was "rejected" beacuse I declined 3 booking requests in the past year. All three were on behalf of the guests - number of people exceed the maximim allowed in the apartment, potentail renovation noise from neighbour, etc. I placed their interests before mind, and now I'm getting the "slap" for it. 

But, yes, you are right. Thank you.

Robin4
Level 10
Mount Barker, Australia

@Jen2.......hey Jen, don't be disheartened, you are not getting a 'slap' for it......just look at you....

"As promised a stylish apartment in a fantastic location. Well appointed kitchen, comfy bed and modern bathroom, plus a car space. We loved the little balcony too! Highly recommended."

Jen, you can't buy reviews like that, you are a star, mate!

Don't try to be something you are not, forget about trying to climb some sort of ladder that will possibly only take you to heartache!

I was selected, but I chose not to be involved. All the guests I have had here are lovely down to earth people....they are not expecting the 'Hydro Majestic' (if you have been watching MKR), but they are really happy with what I offer.

Jen, be like me, don't try to aspire to something that will lead you to difficult guests....just embrace the Airbnb that has got you to where you are at the moment, you are a Superhost and I respect where you are, not where you could be......all the best Jen.

Cheers.....Rob

Hey Rob!

We absolutely agree!

We have been SuperHosts since we became eligible after our first 10 guests, and have maintained the SH status for over two and a half years now.

We believe in under-promising and over-delivering and it has paid off in a big way.

I suspect that Airbnb Plus designation would increase the number of high expectation guests.

We love that our guests are generally surprised and delighted by their experience and that we have repeat guests who become our Airbnb family members.

We actually love to take brand new guests who have no idea what to expect and help them get their first review.

We love being hosts so much that we  bought another cottage to be able to accommodate some of our previous guests who now have small children.

I would actually love to hear more about the guest experiences from Airbnb Plus hosts. It would be interesting to see if our hypothesis is correct!

I say Superhosts, keep  doing exactly what you are doing! Have fun and hold fast to the original ethos of Airbnb!

Laurie and Randy

Hello Rob,  I too received and email yesterday that my home did not meet the Plus standards. I was upset and then sad.  My husband basically does all the operations of rental and I work on all the email reservations and communications. He said to me, "Our home doesn't meet the Plus expections because we are not in a prime location and we can not charge high rates. Airnb keep sending us emails to  lower the price because other properties in the area lower than our home. We are superhosts and as long as we do what we are doing, I am fine with that."  Rob, I came to this site to see what other hosts were saying about this issue and your words are very comforting. Thank you for taking the time to inspire us (hosts) Del and Sal

Don't go there Del, there are no benefits, after 3 months with Airbnb Plus we have withdrawn.

I'm sure you're doing a great job just as you are! 

Well said Rob!

We were gullible enough to join, as a result we lost control of our listing, our photo choice, there were absolutely no benefits. 

Unlike Airbnb which you can in fact speak to a 'real person' when or if in need, Airbnb Plus are not available to speak to you, we waited almost 2 months for a reponse to our queries having been told by Airbnb they would pass our message on to Plus. 

In addition our bookings with Airbnb have reduced markedly, needless to say we have withdrawn from Airbnb Plus, reinstated Airbnb and taken control of our own booking once again.

Hi there, yes, first with listings that don't show up because prospective guests don't even realize the Instant Book filter is on by default, to now, listings that don't show up because they don't have a free cancellation policy, little by little we are being weeded out to the back pages of the searches, unless we conform to hotel standards. Ironic eh?  but i do believe there are a herd of folks, looking for those sweet, unique, budget listings, that take the trouble to search beyond the generic....i am certainly one of them. thank you for posting Angela! i will look for your listing when i come to S.F.

I feel exactly like you . I rent the ground level apartment of my very old victorian house in a perfectly located and looked after area. The place is clean and cosy and guests love it, it's a great value as hotels are very expensive in this neighbourhood. But, as i said, it's an old house, i would have to invest a lot to make it up to this program - even then i suppose there wouldn't be enough light as it's a ground level. But you know what ? Maybe i don't want to be a Plus. Superhost is already a high standard, very demanding. This is even more pressure on us. I'm already stressed out when, for example, my last guests cooked bacon before leaving and i can't entirely eliminate the smell before the next ones arrive. Renting a 100 % garanteed apartment might be the death of me. I just hope my bookings won't get down. It's been pretty constant since the very moment i published my listing. Now i'm afraid the airbnb plus apartments will get all the attention. Wich ratio of my city will qualify for this ? I have no idea. And the travelers ? wich ratio of the guests are looking for perfect, designer, more expensive places ? My feeling is that airbnb wants to attract richer travelers who still choose luxury hotels over them. I wouldn't rent an Airbnb Plus. I would be to afraid one of my 3 children would wipe his finger on the immaculate white designer couch. So yeah, the more i think about it, thanks but no thanks.

I think you hit the nail on the head here.... it seems that Airbnb is trying to get the market segment of wealthy people who are used to luxury accomodations (at home and traveling), and maybe see staying in an Airbnb as something to be looked down on. That market segment very well might be willing to book an Airbnb Plus vs. a downtown Westin, Marriott, or etc.

In the past couple of years, about a year after I started traveling with, and then hosting for, Airbnb, my job now means that I travel sometimes and have stayed in $300+ plus hotels. I could see where those people (most I see are business travelers) wouldn't even really consider staying in an Airbnb, as they are used to high standards of accomodations and might not realize just how nice many of the Airbnb's are.  

I guess what I'm trying to say, is that I don't *think* it will really affect any of us "normal", down-to-earth middle class people who host and travel with Airbnb; it will be a market segment that has been outside of Airbnb's reach.