Airbnb Plus

Answered!

Airbnb Plus

Just listened to the new updates for Airbnb on their FB Live and feel discouraged as a Host.

I don't have an emaculately designed modern home with features that "WOW" guests. I have a humble space for budget seeking travelers in a very expensive city (San Francisco).

Is Airbnb weeding people out instead of including everyone?

1 Best Answer
Oomesh-Kumarsingh0
Level 10
Pamplemousses, Mauritius

@Angela608 Airbnb plus is probably design for the big hotels and real estate agents who have been on the network for quite a long time appearing like casual hosts so i guess this will now make them standout.I totally agree with you it is unfair for the genuine home owners.Good luck!!!

View Best Answer in original post

213 Replies 213

Please don't worry Kim, we have withdrawn from Airbnb Plus as there were absolutely no advantages.

I'm debating that right now.  I got on "Plus" for one space, but not the other.  The one that is Plus is WAY down in bookings, while the other is picking up.  They put an ugly picture as the cover, which apparently I can't change.  I went through a lot to get that Plus status and now it looks like it is hurting rather than helping.  Very sad.  

Julie545
Level 3
Scotland, United Kingdom

I agree. I felt threatened by Airbnb Plus at first, but reading this thread has made me realise it’s not going to be what everyone is looking for. Your place looks very charming!  I would choose it over an Airbnb Plus simply because it looks much more heartfelt.  If there are lots of expensive hotels in your area, I would be grateful for a nice Airbnb to stay in instead. I think there will always be a strong market for what you are offering. 

Me either. I offer three rooms, from $25-$30-$35 in my home, which is so not anything but a clean and comfortable space. I willnever be the Plus material, either...well, maybe we can hope a new company comes in to take those of us who are regular people offering good prices to stay in clean and comfortable spaces away from the "plus material"--ahhh, how far Airbnb has moved away from their origins.

Don't worry about it Angela. We are 'luxury' if you'd like to describe it as such, you're missing out on nothing I can assure you. 

We became 'Plus', there were zilch 'pluses' to the elevated position, it cost us to join and our bookings went down.  Be happy where you are 🙂

Gordon0
Level 10
London, United Kingdom

I'd like to think that there's something for everyone. Not all guests have big money.

Yes but if we don't *verify* with airbnb Plus we will be sent to the bottom of the listing pool, especially if everyone starts doing this. I live in a huge tourism area with tons of Bed And Breakfasts that have been around for years that now list on Airbnb. They will pay for the inspection, get high placement.

Combine No AirBnb Plus that with No Instant Book and you might end up seeing a decrease in your bookings.

I rent sailboat to sleep on. Not yachts. My guests know this and love it, but if I'm not verified I feel like I will be pushed to the bottom. I agree with everyone's concern.

Dassi0
Level 5
Greensboro, NC

We offer unique services in a comfy space.  Hoping that will be considered a plus. Also, we are wondering if being listed as Plus will cost more....

@Dassi0 $149 one time fee to cover house inspection, photography etc. Doesn't neccesarily mean we as Hosts charge more but if you are putting $ and effort into being a Plus host I would think you would charge more.

Thanks for letting me know the fee. Since you did not address the other part of my query, may I assume that Airbnb will not ask for a larger fee on Plus properties?

Roberta2
Level 10
London, United Kingdom

I don't think they will ask for more money, but they take a % of the total cost. So they get more money from a 100,00 than from a 25,00 booking

I thought fee of S$149 is too much especially for counties where living standards are much lower.

Jiw0
Level 10
Chiang Mai, Thailand

Currently it's only rolled out in very few big cities that are all expensive, high-income places.

But maybe if they ever get around to having Plus outside of the First World then they may charge less in those places, if their costs (salaries of staff & photographers) are also lower. 

And $149 is very reasonable, for me that would be a 2-3 night stay to make that back.

Yesterday I spent $111 for an airbnb photographer... another $38 and I could have had the PLUS inspection too?! Whoops

EDIT: nevermind... since yet again Atlanta Ga. isn't good enough to be in any of airbnb's trendy new programs. Airbnb doesnt offer "experiences" to hosts here either. Their short-sightedness astounds me. 

Our city, San Antonio (11th largest in the country) apparently doesn’t rate the plus program here either. It does seem that air bnb is moving away from the original principles of unique and affordable vacation experiences. I have also seen that with so many more hosts joining air bnb the sheer number of listings makes it difficult to stand out from the pack. We booked 300 nights between two units last year...but it’s getting harder and harder to attract new guests

We find our property has to continually evolve to keep up. The plus program, when and if it becomes available in our city might be a means towards that end. But I’m not going to put out forty dollar cheese plates or I would price myself out of the market here.