Airbnb behavior, leniency, and careless policing in its own review system

Matt434
Level 3
Reston, VA

Airbnb behavior, leniency, and careless policing in its own review system

Dear Host community…
(fellow black-sheep sibling guests.)

We have an issue in Airbnb behavior and public trust that affects us all. What affects one directly in the community, affects all indirectly.

I had a month-long tenancy stay in a whole reserved space “bungalow” within a shared space; and shared yard; driveway, and walking access, with hosts family, and home.

I (long term business traveler, out-all-day back-at-night) am directly connected to the host, and host's wife, host's puppy dog, children, through daily contact, sms text, notes, face to face etc on a regular and intimate basis.  There are any number of direct contacts from host to guest via husband or wife cell, and mild requests from host, even notifications to guest, “our contractors will be accessing the unit to do work”.  I requested this not be done due to health, workmen, contractors will not wear masks, dirty the place, and this caused anger. I requested the puppy dog stay out of the unit it continuously accessed, this caused anger. During my stay I asked if any Lysol spray was available, this caused friction. I noted the under mattress of the bed was original, unwashed with dog hairs from previous guests, and I pulled it, this caused friction between us.

Any requests back and forth from host to guest were related to health and safety.

The host used the review system as a weapon, posted in social media as a form of retaliatory expression accusing the guest as being odd, making odd requests, and leaving that public statement ambiguous, open-ended. It is an attack on character, irrelevant, inaccurate, untruthful, and stems from retaliation in beliefs of health and safety. Airbnb agreed and removed the review as a violation of terms

After check out and review violation removal, having had endless open text conversations from host during stay, and a degree of relationship with the family, I diplomatically and in a polite matter, messaged the person (who I paid money to rent from for a month, for cleaning and had numerous communication with), some of my feelings. Host got upset, contacts Airbnb, Airbnb assumes, intervenes and accuses me of being guilty of something or anything, messages me in my sleep hours, reprimanded, and reposted, (put back up) the slander and violating review back up for the public, as a punishing message to the guest. This has caused me great mental anguish and is a betrayal of public trust by Airbnb. Airbnb has stated that they represent the host, and I being a guest have no consumer, tenant, constitutional rights, freedom of expression; speech, and I may not communicate to their host until forever, for anything, though the host has been communicating directly to you. This doesn’t sit well with me for many reasons:

1. Airbnb is putting long-term guests' lives in danger, by mixing them with short-term minded do-it- yourself careless unlicensed mom and (stay at home pop) host hands in regard to communication and beliefs of health and safety.  

2. Airbnb says if the guest speaks up, requests, or objects to anything in a ​long term stay with ​the​ host, in the area of health and safety, any part of that host can author and post anything against the guest, untruths, twists of truths, irrelevancy, inaccuracy, false accusations, defame character, and Airbnb will be lenient toward this and allow it to stick.

3. Airbnb sends a message to long-term business guests, that they should not request, speak-up, or object to the host’s requests or lack of standards in the area of health and safety during their stay, because their review system is set up as a retaliatory outlet for the authoring host, and airbnb will favor the host and be lenient with verbiage.

4 Airbnb enables social media bullying with a lenient and lax review system and favoritism toward the authoring host, in the areas,  beliefs, and practices of health and safety.​ Airbnbs reach against a guest in its desire to protect its host's careless verbiage in its review system, is reactionary, assuming, suspicious and violates a guests civil right. ​

RESOLUTION REQUEST: Airbnb must implement higher standards in its review system, revamp and change its system, and also put in and continuously improve higher education to new and longterm inexperienced hosts, in how to clean, turn over, communicate and author reviews. Airbnb must disclose and differentiate short term inexperienced hosts to long term business traveler​;​guest. Airbnb must not be lenient with careless verbiage, slander, defamation of character, and social media bullying, particularly in relation to health and safety, during a time of a pandemic. Airbnb representation and favorites to host must not infringe on buyer, consumer rights.
4 Replies 4
Mike-And-Jane0
Top Contributor
England, United Kingdom

Oh dear @Matt434 you really need to get over this experience. This post closely replicates an earlier one where the general feeling was you are making a mountain out of a molehill.

You complain about the review system and yet you had the opportunity to review this host honestly but all you put was 'great hosts, and stay. thank you'. It is now too late I am afraid.

Helen3
Top Contributor
Bristol, United Kingdom

Why did you post a glowing review for a host that you say acted in this way @Matt434 ?

And why are you continuing to post about this issue. As said on your previous post you really need to move on.

By the way you are not a tenant when you book a listing through Airbnb you are a guest. 

Interested in how you were able to get Airbnb to remove the reviews from your stays with hosts that were on your profile last week?

Mark116
Level 10
Jersey City, NJ

@Matt434   I don't know what to tell  you, except that your apparent obsession with a benign review is 'odd'. 

I have no idea why you are stuck on this incident, but I would advise you that it will be better for your own health to let it go.

John4704
Level 3
Winter Park, FL

The Resolutions Center and 'AirCover' is a farce, a fake 'host insurance' set-up--it DOES NOT protect the Hosts. [I am a lawyer and Super Host for 5 yrs.]      A recent Airbnb 4.5 guest (4 guests booked.... and 14 rowdy guests in attendance)  trashed our home with an  all-night party, disturbing our neighbors with loud music & alcohol & cars , and causing $850 damages plus extra cleaning.   I called Airbnb the first 'morning after' and wanted to cancel--but Airbnb Rep 'advised against canceling".    I was offered repeated assurances by Airbnb Support that I would be protected & reimbursed by filing a claim with Airbnb Resolutions Center--no worries.  And I did that--just as they requested.  I filed & sent photos and a receipts from our Host/Manager for various damages.  All of this took multiple messages, phone calls,  and  every Rep. gave re-assurances that Airbnb would take care of everything.  A month later I receive a response the CLAIM is DENIED.   What a joke...and disappointment!   If you think you are 'protected by Airbnb' with compensation for damages, think again.  Their Reps are trained to offer plenty of apologies ("I am so sorry you had this experience) but forget any compensation from Airbnb.   I thought Airbnb had our back--but now I think I am going to quit Airbnb.   Hosts are flying naked without backup.     PS:  I sent a  "Request for money" to the guest for 10 'extra guests'  staying, and the Guest messaged back (while at the party) that an Airbnb Rep told him he could "pay charges only if he wanted to".  Guest declined of course (and Airbnb still gives him a 4.5 rating).