Airbnb host requesting reimbursement and extra cleaning fees

Airbnb host requesting reimbursement and extra cleaning fees

Hi all,

During my 4 night stay at an Airbnb, unfortunately, I accidentally knocked over an diffuser liquid while closing the blinds and the liquid from the diffuser damaged around 10 cm area of the paintwork on the window sill.  I am happy to pay reasonable cost for the repaint but the host quoted £200 for just painting a 10cm area window sill which i believe its very high. I see my local painter charging £200 for external full house painting. Additionally, they've asked £50 saying they'll need fabric to make a temporary repair for new guests but it's just 10cm of paint that was damaged.

Additionally again my mistake, one of the Ikea plastic serving tray was melted and I was happy to pay for it as it was my mistake. I looked up on Ikea website and this costs £1 but I am being asked £10.

The 2 above damage was mentioned to the hosts before leaving and however additionally to the above the hosts have asked for an additional cost on below for cleaning although the listing was charging £20 per day for cleaning (already paid £80 cleaning fee for the stay)

£50 for oven deep-clean saying it requires professional cleaning although the oven was used for 2 hashbrowns in the morning and I could have just washed it myself.

£50 for careless fat spray on walls and looking at the image it is not a lot of sprays, it what you see when you cook and fry food on the gas.

£30 for a food stain on velvet cushion which cover can't be removed but as far as I remember we never used the cushion and didn't eat near the cushion at all.

£30 for paintwork on the hallway behind the radiator, we had some of our clothes put there and it had a light wet mark on the hallway wall which can be just wiped and cleaned easily.

I understand this is my fault on the window sill and the plastic tray which was completely accidental and I told the host straight away.
over £400 seems extremely high and I believe I shouldn't be asked cleaning cost of the oven and walls. What do you feel would be a reasonable course of action in this case? The total reimbursement quote is similar to the total cost of my stay.

Also we haven't left the place in a mess, we washed all the dishes, hoovered the rooms , cleaned the beds, bathroom and toilet before leaving (we just had missed to clean the oven tray). But i would hope this should be covered by cleaning fees.

Any help would be appreciated.

Patt

burn window sill.jpg
CUSHION STAIN.JPGcooker.jpg

FAT STAINES.JPG

wet haLL2.jpgwet hall.jpg

2 Replies 2
Mike-And-Jane0
Top Contributor
England, United Kingdom

@Patt583 I guess there will be two bad reviews on this one. Some of the claim does seem excessive and some hosts would just accept it as wear and tear. I wonder if the host is padding the claim to make sure they get something.

Re the IKEA tray there is a cost associated with going and fetching a new one - it is not just the cost of the tray itself.

Emiel1
Level 10
Leeuwarden, The Netherlands

@Patt583 

i noticed there are more damages on the window sill (from a hot coffeecup ?) then just the 10 cm, was it there already ?

You can not just repaint a small piece , it needs a repaint of the whole sill to have it look OK.

I doubt the marks on the hallway wall can be "wiped away".

The fatspray is not easy to remove (but also wall seems not very suitable  to be used near cooking devices)

The oven is dirty

"I see my local painter charging £200 for external full house painting"

Must be the dollhouse ?

That have being said:

The paintwork in the house is not very resistant against extensive use.

I usually do al such repairs myself, i think the claim is high, but not excessive if the host needs to hire a handyman.