Airbnb is NOT host friendly

Rossana121
Level 3
Biel/Bienne, Switzerland

Airbnb is NOT host friendly

Hosting is being really difficult because of Airbnb mainly being guest oriented.

I only started being a host at the beginning of this year and I can already list a lot of things that really need fixing on their part:

1. Lack of support. If you have an urgent issue just forget about it. Mainly they leave you waiting, hoping the problem will solve itself or you just give in.

2. They don't verify guests. I have received booking requests from minors with no credit card. How could they open an account in the first place???? They need to have at least identity verification. Don't they understand that we're gonna have this people in our home?

3. They show listings in a very bizzarre way. Sometimes you end up being last in a search just because. If you don't have instant booking (in these times? With enhanced cleaning protocol? Really??) you get down the list. Location doesn't matter. Amenities offered only do if you filter your search.

4. Pricing your listing is RIDICULOUS. Although a section for seasonal requirement exists, you cannot put seasonal pricing. If you ever have the unfortunate idea of changing prices directly in the calendar, there's no way of clearing them and have them match your defined prices again (so stupid! We NEED this feature!).

5. You need a computer. App is buggy as hell, doesn't have all the features and lacks a lot of stuff that you can only do on desktop version. You cannot see your pricing in the calendar, to say one. All your support messages end up on the travelling profile and not the hosting. And many more.

6. They don't have PayPal or other payment options. In a time when you can pay with your watch, this seems very last century, and discourages a lot of potential guests.

People from Airbnb, WE PAY YOU!

Either do your job, as a paid intermediary, or stop taking our money!

Thank God this is not how I make a living!

5 Replies 5
Anna9170
Level 10
Lloret de Mar, Spain

@Rossana121  There is a PayPal. Both to pay for the reservation and to receive payment.

Rossana121
Level 3
Biel/Bienne, Switzerland

Paypal is where I receive my payouts, but not in all countries is available as means for payment for guests.

Robin4
Level 10
Mount Barker, Australia

@Rossana121 

Airbnb are not host friendly, and haven't been since back in the days when Chesky and Gebia were hosts.....but why keep throwing mud at a wall that is not going to stick? You have to adapt!

Rossana, we are the ones in the drivers seat, we are the ones who shake hands with the guest and provide that nice comfortable night for them. 

Stop expecting Airbnb to be your fairy godmother and provide a solution to all your problems. It is you mate, who are in the drivers seat here!

1/. Support in most instances is not going to be there....at least not if it upsets the guest. I have never made a claim on Airbnb related to guest damage! Why would I......why attempt to get compensation that Airbnb are going to minimise and get a revenge review all for the sake of a few dollars? I have my own damage fund built into my nightly rental and if something gets destroyed I just go out and replace it and get on with the business of hosting. To Airbnb I am a 5 star host because I don't make waves!

2/. It's up to me to make sure I am inviting worthwhile guests into my property. I study ever word of the initial message to establish if this guest is going to be easy or difficult to host. Guests either want to stay or they want to ask questions and jerk you around....I have got to pick the difference between the two!

3/. Your listing placement is determined by how successful you are to Airbnb. Obviously IB listings are going to be promoted, and the more prominent you make yourself by continually changing some aspect of your listing description will keep you at the top of search placements which in turn leads to more bookings!

4/. You do a proper profit and loss statement which will tell you what you should be charging for your property. To Airbnb it will never be cheap enough, but they don't care if you make money or lose it.....they just don't want a booking to escape! I set my pricing, not Airbnb and month after month I am fully booked. I will never take any notice of Airbnb's pricing tips!

5/.   The computer is more reliable than the app.....but not when you are out in the middle of the donga! Use the computer, but use it in conjunction with the app. About 60% of my traffic is through the app because I am not always sitting in front of this screen.....and I have never lost a booking because the app did not work, but I always cross reference with the computer where I can!

6/. Airbnb have a number of payment options including Paypal, if it doesn't work in your area it is probable that is a failing on your communication with Paypal not Airbnb's. When I was working in Airbnb support every cent of money I earned arrived through Paypal exactly when it should and for the correct amount! 

Rossana, Airbnb are not going to featherbed you, it is up to you to protect yourself and adopt strategies that will make sure the failings of Airbnb are not going to affect you!

They are not perfect but in close to 400 Airbnb stays every payout arrived when they said it would, and for the correct amount. I haven';t got a lot top grizzle about!

Cheers.........Rob

Rob, you worked in Airbnb support? Yes, I read every word of your comment. 😛

Debra48
Level 10
Los Angeles, CA

Airbnb is but a shell of its former self and is no longer capable of being a responsible business partner, whether you’re a guest or a host. Imagine my shock when, last night at 7 pm, I got a UNITED STATES representative on the phone WITHIN FIVE MINUTES at VRBO to assist me in setting up my listing there. Henceforth I will be directing all my traffic to VRBO. I have an extremely successful Airbnb and as a Plus Superhost, have valued Airbnb as a partner over the last 4 years. But this company is in shambles now. It’s sad the management let it melt down to this point, that it couldn’t find its way through this pandemic.