Airbnb refuse to give me a refund.

Neil610
Level 2
Cairns, Australia

Airbnb refuse to give me a refund.

Hi, 

I'm hoping this is the correct place to post my question. I've ran out of options trying to sort this issue out with Airbnb so hoping for some advice.

So I found a property I was looking at booking. I messaged the host first to see if it was possible to get an early check-in in which she responded say "yes that's fine" When I arrived she messaged me saying:

"sorry Neil my manager said you room still have some late check out .I change you to Apartment xxxx lyall st South perth code number xxxx". 

I replied saying ok. This Apartment is in the same building. So once I got the check-in details I went into the apartment and was shocked at the condition of the Apartment. I can tolerate a far bit but it was filthy, underequiped, heating would not turn on etc. I rang Airbnb and sent through evidence and submitted a complaint. Airbnb told me to come back later as they have to give the Host a chance to fix or move me to the original Apartment that I booked. 

On returning 4 hours later she put me back in the Apartment I complained about saying these issues were rectified. They were not but didn't really have a choice as it was to late to find somewhere else. After an hour or two I noticed people looking in my car window and that was it I was leaving as I wasn't comfortable in the Airbnb or the area. I slept in my car that night and decided to ring Airbnb the next day to get a refund. 

After 8 phone calls trying to get a refund Airbnb have told me they will not supply one as I was staying and accepted an Apartment that was not the original listing. 

First off I wouldn't of booked with her if she didn't give me an early check-in which I didn't get because it wasn't ready. This is in my messages conversation in my Airbnb messages. 

Airbnb told me to go back and she would either fix up the Apartment or put me in the original booking Apartment. 

Can I please get people's thoughts ? 

4 Replies 4
Michael5047
Level 6
West Palm Beach, FL

I totally understand your point on calling Airbnb, but if this is last minute, you should try solving the problem with your host. 

Explain to the host this whole story and she might be able to help you.

Mike from West Palm

Cheers for reply but this happened on the 25th. I did reach out to the host originally and she didn't believe me. Airbnb say it's up to the host to make a decision regarding the refund. I'm not sure how that works. In which she has declined. 

Im really baffled how Airbnb could think that this case doesnt amount to a refund. 

They told me to go back and she would have it ready. 

I have a fantastic record with Airbnb aswell. 

Helen744
Level 10
Victoria, Australia

@Neil610 It sounds bad Neil . You have 72 hours to complain and you left the apartment , the main issue is that you were checked in temporarily ,and told there was a delay on your original apartment and then the second apartment was also not suitable . So the situation was not resolved by Airbnb or the host but just made worse by the host thus forcing you to spend the night in your car. I would pursue this issue further as the host does not seem to have shown very much concern a t all . all the best . H

Hi Helen, thanks for your reply. I just can't get over how their response to not providing a refund was,  that I accepted a different Apartment not on the original listing therefore they don't have to give a refund. Crazy !