Airbnb's low standards and bad reputation

Airbnb's low standards and bad reputation

Last month we were in Puerto Rico and booked a stay at an Airbnb that was run by a management company.  There were no reviews for the place yet, but you have to start somewhere when you become a new host and we remember what it was like to get your first booking.  We wrote to the host (Management company) and said that we looked forward to being the first to review this listing.  A few days before our stay we were sent the check in directions.  When I glanced at the listing, I noticed that there was a review.  When I read it, they said that there were ants all over the bed, kitchen and side tables, the air con did not work and the place was really hot and the refrigerator also was not working and the food did not stay cool.  So I wrote to the host (Management Company) and asked that they give us a guarantee that those things would be fixed before our arrival.  This was 3 days before our arrival.  I expected to get a response since on their site, Airbnb has that they get back to the guests within an hour.  I thought that they would send me a quick note like I would as a host to assure the guest that everything would be taken care of.  After 24 hours of no response we cancelled the booking.  We requested a refund because the host did not respond and what if we had arrived and couldn't get into the place and they didn't respond.  We might have had to sleep with ants all over like the last guest and or gotten sick from food that went bad in the broken refrigerator.  Airbnb denied our request of $500.00 and so the host was rewarded for their bad hosting.  This is our last stay at an Airbnb and we will never book another one.  We know that there are really good Airbnb's out there including ours. But Airbnb does not have any quality control and the product is getting a bad name.  You want when people say Airbnb to be proud that you have listed with them.  Instead, people in Puerto Rico told us not to stay in Airbnb's there because they are awful.  

1 Reply 1
Emiel1
Level 10
Leeuwarden, The Netherlands

@Diana-And-Lando0 

IMO you shoould have contacted Airbnb, discuss the (potential) travel issue and ask them to investigate and/or cancel.

https://www.airbnb.com/help/article/3028/travel-issues-eligible-for-refunds