Airbnb survey feedback

Answered!
Robin4
Level 10
Mount Barker, Australia

Airbnb survey feedback

Today (along with no doubt a lot of others) I was invited to take part an Airbnb survey, so, having a few minutes to spare I did it

At the end of my survey I was asked for my comments in my own words regarding my Airbnb hosting.

I thought I would share my comments with the community.....

Survey feedback..png

I have said my piece....I hope someone will take notice of it!

Cheers.....Rob

1 Best Answer
Jillian115
Level 10
Jamestown, CA

@Robin4 

Well said! Thank you for sharing this. This is a huge concern for me as well. So many horrible stories these days. I really feel like if anything happened Airbnb would not support me and yet they will allow anyone to book and bypass the rules and don't support us what things go wrong. 

View Best Answer in original post

85 Replies 85

@Sarah977

"And if they'd stop encouraging these property management outfits with multiple listings to join Airbnb, all these places wouldn't be banning them"

Couldn't agree more. But with $4.4 billion in investor funding and a further $1 billion debt facillity to service, plus a string on failed (but very costly) vanity projects to compensate for, and a balance sheet that desperately needs padding out ahead of an IPO,  they can't afford to stop the frenzied push to onboard as many professionals and commercials as humanly possible, in as short a timeframe as possible. 

'So was this survey about asking small-time hosts for their feedback so they can present it as the norm for Airbnb's?"

Well it's a little more complex than that, but bottom line - yes. Absolutely. 

Branka-and-Silvia0
Level 10
Zagreb, Croatia

@Ben551

I am not "up to something" but it is written in their mail and the page linked in the mail:

When you welcome travelers as a host on Airbnb, you’re not just sharing your home, you’re sharing your community, too. That’s why we're partnering with cities around the world to make hosting easier, more accepted, and more rewarding for you.

-------------The link above leads you to another page: https://www.airbnbcitizen.com/community-compact/ -------------

..Based on our core principles to help make cities stronger, Airbnb is committed to working with cities where our community has a significant presence ...

Cities can make the best policy decisions about home sharing when important data is available. Airbnb will provide cities with the information they need to make informed decisions about home sharing policies.

-----------------------

Whenever some city banned Airbnb hosts were angry and asked why Airbnb didn't do something?  So, obviously they are doing something but they need facts, they can't negotiate without any statistics.

So, they need the high number of properties which:

- are not pulling back from long term rental to be rented to guests

- are part of the host's home or his vacation rental

- are rented only periodically

- etc...

they need the high number of hosts who:

- need Airbnb to pay a mortgage

- wouldn't be able to buy a home without Airbnb

- need Airbnb to pay for school for their children

- etc...

So, if you bought a condo for the sole purpose to rent it short term on Airbnb, or you rented it long term before but switched to Airbnb because now you have extra money to travel etc...  then maybe it would be better not to take this survey  ( it is my opinion )

@Branka-and-Silvia0 Interesting indeed.

PS: Hey, you do know I said “on to something”, not “up to something” right? Where I’m from, to say someone is “on to something” is a compliment to their cleverness and foresight.

@Ben551

oh don't worry, I understood :)))

@Branka-and-Silvia0. oh phew, good. I think all you said is right, they are gathering intelligence to mount a defence of some kind. There are some benefits to hosts in them doing that, but time will tell where they take it. I expect you are right in that we will have another thread discussion after Airbnb publish the conclusions they have drawn from it.

@Ben551

I don't think they will publish the conclusions for every city in the world 🙂

I suppose they will use statistics from this survey when needed, or as they said in their email " .... on a case-by-case basis to make sure leaders have the information they need to create fair rules about home sharing. "

@Branka & Silvia 

Sole intent of this survey  -  obfuscation and data manipulation. (Oh, and stalling for time with the EU watchdogs, in a rather crude attempt to get the IPO out of the way,  before the true picture of the extent of the  "professionalisation of Airbnb" finally emerges. 

This is absolutely not  the data local governments worldwide have been trying - in vain - to extract from Airbnb for the past several years, nor does it provide them with any of the information authorities need to make informed decisions about home sharing policies.
 Legislators and policymakers (and particularly the EU Commission) have been increaingly ramping up pressure for the company to provide them with a detailed breakdown of small, independent hosts vs commercial operator figures on the platform. Trying to palm them off with a half-baked, amateurish move like this, designed to muddy the waters even further, will backfire badly.  On all of us. 

They're playing the very hosts who built their brand  from the ground up, like fiddles. Same sh*t,  different day. 

Susan598
Level 6
Urrbrae, Australia

I have one little comment about the survey. Selection bias. Respondents to this survey are self selected, not randomised. I highly doubt management companies or commercial operators would spend 15 minutes filling it in. Airbnb would know this. It's not data that would reflect reality. Just what they need!

@Susan598

hotels are not important for this survey. Airbnb is not banned in some cities because of hotels or hostels but because of too many flats/apartments/houses beeing used for short term rent instead of long term.

But, yes, you are right, property managers and companies probably will not participate 🙂

That"s right. By commercial I mean people who let out whole apartments, not people who are home sharers, or those with accommodation on their residential property, who are more likely to engage in surveys.

Andre333
Level 2
Los Angeles, CA

Thank you Robin for voicing your concerns!

I didn't take any surveys but was informed today of the new policy of only showing profile pictures after a booking is confirmed. This is just another drop in the proverbial bucket of water which is the lack of support for us hosts. It prompted me to leave the following feedback on airbnb's help center:

Good day! I've been a host, mostly a superhost, on airbnb for 5 years now. In the beginning hosting was a lot of fun and I met great people, some of which became my friends. Lately though, inquiries have dwindled to a trickle and I've had an increasing share of problematic guests. And now you also hide profile pictures! It's already quite a gamble, inviting strangers into my home, and profile pictures have given me "more than a thousand words" in deciding who I invite to stay at my home.  It also seems that airbnb tends to favor guests' accounts of events in case of disputes and problems. I understand, they are the ones that bring the money, whereas we hosts, while sticking out our necks, are merely enabling airbnb to make the vast sums of money they collect from guests. I think it's time to say goodbye to airbnb! I've had my share of fun, thank you for that! But I just don't feel much support anymore for what I do, from what has seemingly become another mindless, heartless corporate money machine. It was a great idea to give people a chance to make some extra income from renting otherwise empty rooms to travelers on a tight budget but it unfortunately evolved into just another starbucks, walmart, home depot kind of operation. So much for the sharing economy! I guess it's only a cloak to be worn on the way to selling out. I certainly don't want to have a part in it. I won't wish you good luck since I don't want such companies to exist in the first place, but I do wish the individual who will hopefully read this all the best and a lovely day!

Screen Shot 2019-01-28 at 3.34.20 AM.png

Robin4
Level 10
Mount Barker, Australia

@Ange2

Gee Ange, I thought I was being a bit caustic with my comments, but you must have been spectacular with yours!!!

Cheers......Rob

Thank you for filling out the survey and expressing what I feel as well (I didn't get a survey).

I'm not a hotel. And therefore don't have on site security, cameras, and a warehouse filled with replacement items. I'm the owner of a home who joined Airbnb because it was supposed to be something different. I'm both a host and a user (guest) and have enjoyed the personal relationships.

I think Airbnb tries too hard to take outlier problems and apply solutions that dilute rather than strengthen the platform.

I hope they are listening. There's too many competitors coming on to the landscape and EVERY person who took Marketing 101 knows that you need to differentiate yourself to grow the market even if your initial margin is low to generate customer acquisition. That does not mean asking the vendors to do whatever it takes and assume all the risk. That is unheard of.

I've had mostly good experiences so far but Airbnb could go a long way if it would stop changing host rules and do more to educate guests on how the platform is unique - and how to be a good guest.

For those who haven't seen it - I've been watching "Instant Hotel" on Netflix. Lots of drama but the show makes it clear that although the guests are rating the hosts - the hosts are also rating the guests (including cleanliness at checkout even when there's a cleaning fee.) 

THAT is what Airbnb should be doing - educating the customer to make the host's job easier, otherwise they run the risk of hosts jumping to new platforms in the future. For now - I'm only on Airbnb so I'm going to keep making my voice heard too.

Ben551
Level 10
Wellington, New Zealand

I always enjoy reading your posts @Christine615 - thanks too for the tip on Instant Hotel; I’ll check it out. I’ve been looking for something new to watch, so perfect timing!